The Worship Points System

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi mate! :)

MythandLore said:
So when is it going to be done?
Any "realistic" time frame yet?

You mean you want me to stick my neck out again... ;)

Okay, worst case scenario I will have the writing completed by the first week of March (six weeks from now).

MythandLore said:
I remeber you wanted to get it out a long time ago. :)

Yeah, I should have had it finished by the start of December. Things just have a habit of getting in the way.

But I'll meet this deadline if it means working 16 hour days - instead of 8 hours working and 8 hours philosophising about some point! ;)

Hi there Crothian :)

Crothian said:
The Divine and the Defeated is the first book on gods that I've seen published. Its by Sword and Sorcery. While it is a very detailed look at the gods in their game world.

I have the Divine & the Defeated. Its an interesting and well written book (I would certainly recommend it for anyone running Scarred Lands based campaigns), but the design and mechanics in the book (regarding Deities/Avatars) are heavily flawed; powers are assigned (seemingly) arbitrarily and the challenge ratings are off by more than 10 in some cases.

Crothian said:
I've seen that it would be real easy to use some of the info in it to create other gods.

If you overlook the fact that there is scant reasoning behind any of the stats...

...then it would simply be a case of determining Hit Dice (comparable to those detailed in the book) and arbitrarily applying Divine Qualities, then creating a few unique powers and maybe an artifact or two.

But you have to question why they included such stats in the first place. Since certainly at least the main Avatars are incapable of interacting with mortals of any level (available in Scarn) on anything other than arbitrary terms - in that there would be no point rolling any dice.

Without showing how characters could ascend past 20th-level they pretty much eliminated the need for statting the Avatars.

Without showing how Deities/Avatars are measured (as opposed to simply examples) you can only assume they had little reasoning behind any of the mechanics.

Crothian said:
Since it is the first diety book out there I was wondering if Upper Crust could comment on how easily it will be to use his book and the Divine and the Defeated.

Well at a base level both are D20 products so there shouldn't really be any problems. You would simply need to establish the power of the Avatars in the Divine and the Defeated (something conveniently omitted) in relation to WPS (and standard WotC dogma) Divinity.

eg. Coreans Avatar is approximately equivalent to a Demigod. You can therefore also assume Corean himself is going to be a Greater God.

If you were going to adhere to the Worship Points System verbatim then there are certainly a number of things you could change in the Divine and the Defeated:

Capping the number of attacks at 4 for instance (which can then be increased via Feats, Portfolios etc.). Divine Templates enable deities (among many other things) to deal more base damage in my system, so even assuming base 4 attacks overall damage will certainly be comparable.

You would also want to disregard most of the Divine Qualities especially 'Divine Immunity' and 'God's Avatar' in favour of the divine templates and portfolio templates.

Crothian said:
And if he could cooment on any similiarities or differences between the two.

The main similarity is that both are D20 system products.

The main difference is in what both books offer:

The Worship Points System presents rules for allowing player characters to become deities, and not just in the familiar guise of other Immortal based RPGs where the Deities are simply powerful characters, but outlining the fundamental relationship between a deity and their worshippers (something RPGs will mention but never detail).

So essentially its a combined: Players Handbook, Dungeon Masters Guide and Monster Manual targeted towards Deity/Immortal characters - but not at the expense of the Core Rules as they stand.

The Divine and the Defeated doesn't tackle any of the difficult questions about divinity. Unlikely that was ever their intentions I suppose, but some questions should have at least been addressed.

As it stands it simply details the Deities/Religion of the Scarred Lands.

Triple H

First Post
Thankyou for the detailed analysis of what the book will entail UK:) It makes me want it that much more. I beleive you are going to be using pdf files to post it on the net? If not what file type are you goin gto be using? Thanksyou also for the table of contents;) Very intresting on the deity level monsters. Perhaps you could tantalize us with ecologys of some of them. Just to whet out appetite al the more:)

Hey all :)

dagger said:
Forum didnt look right with out a WPS thread going.

Appreciate the love mate! :D

Toj said:
Man, I really hate waiting for things I want to come out....

Won't be long to wait now. ;)

-Eä- said:
Greetings!

Hey -Eä- mate!

-Eä- said:
Alas! I could not keep my original name, so I had to add some extras to it. Fortunately I get to use the real letters this time (-;

We love you whatever your name is! :D

Real progress updates... looking good, mate!

Don't worry I'm on top of it mate!

Originally posted by Buddha the DM
With the new board format I might be able to keep track of the progress made on the WPS.

It does have a lot of nice features, I assume you refer to being emailed whenever someone posts to this thread!?

MythandLore

First Post
Upper_Krust said:
Hi mate! :)

You mean you want me to stick my neck out again...

Okay, worst case scenario I will have the writing completed by the first week of March (six weeks from now).

Yeah, I should have had it finished by the start of December. Things just have a habit of getting in the way.

But I'll meet this deadline if it means working 16 hour days - instead of 8 hours working and 8 hours philosophising about some point! ;)

LOL!
I know the feeling.
Things never seem to work out the way we intend them to.
Sometimes I thing everything takes at LEAST twice as long as we think it's going to.
With the way life is, it's a wonder how we get anything at all done in our spare time. :)

Hey Triple H mate! :)

Trying to sneak your post in between mine eh!? ;)

Triple H said:
Thankyou for the detailed analysis of what the book will entail UK :)

Wasn't that detailed a preview but I did reveal a few previously unknown elements.

Triple H said:
It makes me want it that much more.

Appreciate the love mate! :D

Triple H said:
I beleive you are going to be using pdf files to post it on the net? If not what file type are you goin gto be using?

I haven't directly approached any publishers as yet, but I imagine most use the same format.

Obviously I won't know specifics until such time.

Triple H said:
Thanksyou also for the table of contents ;)

That was merely a brief overview, not the actual table of contents - I don't want to give that much away until things are finished. ;)

Triple H said:
Very intresting on the deity level monsters. Perhaps you could tantalize us with ecologys of some of them. Just to whet out appetite al the more. :)

You mean you people are expecting more previews already!?

...'give 'em an inch and they take a mile'! ;)

Ace32

Explorer
Oooh, I haven't been following the thread on the old boards, but this sounds like an interesting book... What format will it be in to buy? Printed or online .pdf? And what will the (possible) price be?

Hi there! :)

Ace32 said:
Oooh, I haven't been following the thread on the old boards, but this sounds like an interesting book...

Hey thanks! I appreciate the interest! :)

Ace32 said:
What format will it be in to buy? Printed or online .pdf?

The plan is to have it published initially as an electronic product (in March)...

...then have it printed and published as a book (a few months later).

Ace32 said:
And what will the (possible) price be?

Well any talk of pricing is speculative before the fact, however I think a fair price for the electronic product would be about $10, which is for 296 pages without artwork. If any artwork is going to be added (?) I imagine this could be as much as $15.

I anticipate a printed 296 page, black and white fully illustrated should retail for around $32.50.

This is terrible, i leave for a few days and everything disappears and is changed, GGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Originally posted by Upper_Krust
Appendix Five: Uber Mortals
.... may eventually be 4.

Your saying maybe a 4th huh, perhaps i'll can give you someone to throw in there if you'd like?

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads