Pathfinder 1E The "You're All Animal Companions" Game

Fauchard1520

Adventurer
I've been thinking about running a game where the PCs play as familiars or animal companions. If you guys have ever read Roger Zelazny's "A Night in the Lonesome October," I'm drawing a lot of inspiration from there. Power levels are going to be tricky to manage though, not to mention the weirdness of non-humanoid PCs. Do any of you guys have experience running this sort of game? Any tips for success or pitfalls to look out for?

Have a relevant comic for your trouble.

Noir le Lotus

First Post
It could be very interesting and fun, but I think that you should either do a game for familiars OR animal companions !!

If you mix them, then familiars (who are small, squishy and with few attack options) will suffer in combat, especially if you have large animal companions able to do great damage.

An all-familiars game should be great and force players to think differently and play on their small size and stealth rather than raw power.

I'm reading through the Blue Rose AGE book right now, and intelligent animals are one of the main playable races.

I know they had a d20 edition at some point. It might be worth mining for ideas, if you can track it down.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
So you are in effect going to play Gamma World characters (intelligent animals) in a PF universe? That could be fun.
The research however is going to overwhelm you because you have to create a playable race for each Companion.

Remove ads