"Theater of the Mind" or Map and Minis?

How is combat represented in your games?

• Theater of the Mind

Votes: 43 29.5%
  • Grid Map

Votes: 66 45.2%
  • Hex Map

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • Other

Votes: 29 19.9%

The Old Crow

Explorer
I like TotM, but visual representations are helpful too. I have a grid board and it is handy for drawing straight lines for walls, though I have also used rough sketches on scraps of paper or pencils ploinked down to represent walls. One of my players really likes to see where everything is. When he DMs he sometimes brings out beautiful detailed scaled-for-minis maps that he's made. However, none of us require characters to stand in the grid squares or move by walking from square to square. Basically the grid is just there to help eyeball things, and if there is any doubt a die roll, ruler, or template can be employed.

Shaved_Wookie

First Post
I like to have some "standard" grid maps in case a fight breaks out. Taverns, roads, camp sites. Either I found them online or made them myself, just some printouts I bring everytime.
It's just easier to remember the details. An keep a view of everything
Hex maps would be really cool but they are soo much work to create

Gridless maps are something that I would like to try, but since I am a really bad artist I prefer to work with tiles, so the grid map is the logical conclusion

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
I use all three options, so I clicked "Other" as an "all of the above" option.

I just use whatever's at hand and will help the scene work.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I just find when you lay out a grid map the game gets more boardgamey all of a sudden. I prefer no map or a rough sketch if required, and keep distances loose.

Different strokes for different folks, and all that. I’m a fan of tactical combat skirmishes. I enjoy them very much, and appreciate RPGs which incorporate them well (5E is a bit light for me on that front).

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Different strokes for different folks, and all that. I’m a fan of tactical combat skirmishes. I enjoy them very much, and appreciate RPGs which incorporate them well (5E is a bit light for me on that front).

yes indeed fair enough - and actually I played 4e for 3 years, I like such an approach too. It's just a different kind of fun, and lately I have been leaning towards a looser approach

Grainger

Explorer
D&D is a broad church, and if a particular group enjoys tactical board-gaming it, that's fine. However, my beef is that the grid seems pretty ubiquitous, and this forces a playing style on the game. I view grid play as much less flexible than non-grid. I will set out my reasons for why I don't like the grid, and why I think it's a shame that so many games default to using it.

I never used minis back in the day (80s and 90s), and never encountered a group who used them. However, the players mapped out dungeons as they explored, so we did have something visual (which was closely tied to what the characters knew, as they mapped it themselves). It never occurred to us to use minis, and when players did buy minis to represent their characters (although finding one that actually looks right is next to impossible anyway), we never put them on the map. What was the point? Using minis was always what non-players thought you did (D&D must be a "board game").

Having tried minis in the late 90s, I still don't see the point of using them. It just turns the game into a tactical minis affair every time there's a fight. Yes, if you're obsessed with the precise locations of actors in a combat, then it's essential, but you don't have to worry about that. If you want to, that's fine - but I worry that a lot of players think you have to do it, and that it has become the de-facto default. Indeed, much discussion online indicates that many players are mystified as to how you could ever do D&D without the grid. To me, non-grid is just the intuitive way to play - it's easy. There's no "how do I?" about it - just stop using it and relax about the precise locations of things.

In addition to slowing down the game every time combat occurs, it drops you into (what is IMO) a shallow "move and roll" tactical game instead of an RPG. I say this as a board wargamer, who loves (good) combat-based board games.

Other problems:

• It puts the game into another "mode" when combat starts (I realise that is inevitable as soon as the DM says "roll for initiative", but it exaggerates the effect). Like a computer JRPG, it makes me think of a dissolve, then everyone appears on a literal board. Instead of flowing naturally into combat and non-combat (you might run off - that's still part of the combat) - you're locked into combat mode, tactically and in your imagination.
  • Visually, the grid puts players in the gods'-eye position (it takes them still further out of character). For me, an RPG should put players into their characters, whether they are a full-on role-player type or a tactician. Giving them a gods' eye view fights against this.
  • If using purchased terrain, this constrains what the DM can do with his/her layouts and also forces a particular aesthetic on the campaign.
  • It reduces the enemies in stature. Large monster minis (anything maybe Ogre-sized or bigger) do look impressive IMO, but human-sized foes look insignificant. Instead of facing down a roaring, slavering Orc, you're looking down at a little guy on the battlefield that people are literally picking up with their thumb and forefinger.

I get that some people love painting minis, but that's a separate activity. I might like knitting, but it doesn't mean I should put a pair of socks on the table every time we play. Likewise, there are plenty of tactical minis games out there, and dungeon-crawl type board games if you want to do that. It's a different thing from an RPG (even though D&D emerged from a tactical minis game, the point is that the early players evolved it away from that).

I'm very glad that non-grid is the default in 5e, but I'm somewhat alarmed at how popular the grid still seems to be.

Last edited:

S'mon

Legend
Tabletop uses grid map. Online uses theatre of the mind.

Edit: When playing in high school I only used theatre of the mind in tabletop, too. 3e got me into using minis for tabletop from 2000, something I hadn't done since age 12/13 15 years previously.

I feel like I should try using theatre of the mind for tabletop again, but I'm psychologically pretty locked into minis at this point. Even when I ran White Star sf RPG recently I still used minis.

Last edited:

MechaPilot

Explorer
Has your 5E combat experience been mostly theater of the mind, or does your group use a map and miniatures? If a map, what kind?

Personally my current group has nearly entirely fought on a grid. Our DM earlier on tried a few combats without a map, but quickly went back to the grid when it became clear the players were interested in knowing exactly where the combatants were in relation to one another (myself included, since my character has maneuvering strike and repelling blast).

I voted "Other" because, like many of the respondents, I use one or the other depending on the scenario in question.

The following factors push me toward using a map and minis:

1) The encounter area contains special and/or irregularly shaped terrain, especially if the terrain is complex and reacts to things the PCs do (like my homebrew hazard Necrofungus)

2) If the encounter space is cramped. A small encounter area, or a lot of combatants in a regular or larger area, creates more threatened spaces and more potential for OAs. The tableau vivant helps me track where all the threatened spaces are, and what movement will provoke one or more OAs. This overlaps with the above point because a cramped encounter area will likely require you to weave around one or more enemies to move across the battlefield.

epithet

Explorer
I never got into minis and never used a battlemap for D&D (though I did for games like Battletech.) The closest we got was a rough sketch showing where things were in relation to other things, not really to scale. Then we started using Fantasy Grounds, and everything changed.

It's so much easier to use a map and tokens, I became an instant convert. All through Pathfinder and now 5e, maps and tokens (even if simple, basic stuff) have been almost indispensable. I just wish Fantasy Grounds could draw a hex map that didn't look bad when you zoom out (the diagonal lines look pretty horrible beyond a certain remove.)

Remove ads