D&D General Not gonna worry, Will just keep playin (+)

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
My group has already made the decision not to move on to 1D&D, so we’re probably going to stick with 5e for the foreseeable future.

I’ve also recently purchased a copy of Basic Fantasy (which looks drop-dead easy to customize and modify for home game use) and might ask my group to let me run an OSR campaign for them.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Whatever happens, the only edition of D&D I have any interest in is Old-School Essentials.

Worst case scenario is that nothing changes for me at all. Anything that makes 6th edition less popular and get people more interested in other existing editions can only be of benefit to my campaigns.
I mean, the true worst-case scenario is that Old-School Essentials is forced to cease publishing and all books/content/supplements for it are driven out of direct sale (e.g., only available via resale), at least until they can be sufficiently scrubbed of "enforceable" problems (note quotes--a lot of this is "probably not actually enforceable by law, but de facto enforceable by the cost of bringing the issue to court.") Now, perhaps that still isn't a problem for you, because you have enough material or don't care about new material being created. But it's certainly a worse case than "5e/6e bombs, and my game can pick up some of the slack!"

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I've been jonesing to start up a full-bore, 1st-to-36th-level D&D campaign using the old BECM rules and classic modules. Roll20 has all of the stuff I need to keep playing remotely; I have hardcopies and PDFs of all of the materials that I can copy-paste in as needed, and I have a half-dozen geeky friends who are ready and willing for an old-school romp through The Keep on the Borderlands. Or the Isle of Dread. Or Rahasia, or The Master of the Desert Nomads, or Twilight Calling.

So yeah, we're gonna be just fine.
If its this one

M3_TSR9174_Twilight_Calling.jpg

I've used the "lizards" as background villains' forever. Can't get anyone to go there though...hehe.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
The only thing I can see doing differently is that if DDB went away, I might scan my books into PDF format and OCR them.

Or just play a system other than D&D but I read this post as asking how we would continue to play D&D, specifically, is D&D was no longer available for new content and DDB went away.
I do have a lot of older stuff I could scan to make it easier to share with my group...hand't thought of that actually because last ime I checked into OCRing stuff, it was not worth the time nor the effort.

You read the thread correctly, looking for thoughts and best practices to continue "IF".

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I'm reasonably sure that the news isn't true - it doesn't pass the smell test for me, and the OGL was specifically written to prevent this sort of thing.

However, I am currently running what is probably my last-ever campaign. If this does turn out to be true, and WotC attempt to de-authorize OGL 1.0, whether they succeed or not, then replace that "probably" with "definitely". And, until such time as the OGL 1.1 is published, and we can see the damage for ourselves, I won't be buying any more D&D books. Which is a small loss, both to them and to me, but there it is.

So yeah, I'll continue playing as I am. For now. But I am worried.
One of my main thoughts, similar to the time I had an rpg drought in the late 90s, is that I have more material and personal homebrew than we will ever need. I think thats when I created my custom runemaster class.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
My issue is that, having played countless RPGs over 30+ years, and having found relatively lighter ones with less prep play pretty great, I probably wouldn't want to run D&D without digital tools supporting it. They've been really helpful for my main group particularly. I'm not just talking about VTTs, but a probably integrated character builder, searchable rules databases, and so on. Currently for 5E only Beyond offers that (4E's offering was slightly better, weirdly, in terms of what it could do, but was much clunkier-looking and relied on Silverlight lol).

Without all that, I'd be willing to play D&D, but I wouldn't be willing to run it. Also, all my 5E "books" are on Beyond, because I don't have space in my stupid London flat for a whole ton more books. I haven't bought a physical RPG book for like, four or five years? Maybe longer.

On the bright side, I haven't got a bunch of 5E adventures/campaigns I want to run, because I've largely run my own campaign/adventures in 5E (like 4E), so it's not like I'll be stamping my foot and cursing!

So I think my main idea would be to just run a different game. Maybe PF2, maybe Worlds Without Number, maybe DIE, who knows!
Would Excel character sheets cover the character portion? I once even had an Access database, but I would not want to rebuild that monstrosity.

Remove ads