• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Themes in Eberron

I know that the Players Handbook next year will feature Themes for 'normal' PCs similar to what is shown in the Dark Sun campaign setting.

Themes are a great design idea IMO...and fill in a nice niche that was a bit of a void...one that Paragon paths don't exactly replicate.

Themes are basically a set of powers that can be used without class being a restriction. There usually is a group of classes that are favoured, but none are restricted.

Some Eberron themes that come to mind are:

Wilderness Guide (similar to the Thunder Sea Guide from the Explorer's Handbook).

Last War Veteran

Spy

Scholar (think Indiana Jones)

Cyran Avenger

Dragonmarked House Member (you don't have to have a dragonmark to take this theme).

Anyways...this would be awesome for a DDI article I think.

Also:
Extreme Explorer
One for each druid sect
Inquisitive

I like the Extreme Explorer and Inquisitves for sure.

Wasn't so sure about the Druidic sects, but I suppose it does work since you don't have to be a _druid_. You could be a Shaman, a Warden, a Ranger...heck you could even be a psionic type (those would certainly join the Gatekeepers).

Actually in general, Themes work awesomely for the 'god specific' mechanics that are kinda lacking in 4e.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I'm going to be starting an Eberron campaign shortly and have thought about creating/adding some Themes for the character creation. The ones that I had in mind were:

Dragonmarked House Member
Warden of the Woods
Gatekeeper
Silver Flame Templar
Xen'drik Explorer
Dragon Prophet
Llazaar Pirate
Valenar Dervish
Arcane Congressman

Seeing what is above, I thinking adding Cyran Refugee, Sharn Inquisitive and Last War Veteran would be good additions as well.

Trolls

First Post
I'd add at least one for each of the Five Nations, as well as the more generic 'Last War Veteran'. Cyran Refugee/Avenger is a no brainer, but how about:

Aundairian Spellblade: Add an arcane flourish to your melee character.
Thranish Levy: All those clerics and templars need someone to lead. Probably a defender or striker that synergises well with leaders.
Karrnathi Sergant: Shout at your men until the enemy know why Karrns are unmatched when it comes to traditional warfare. A leader through and through.
Brelish ???: Tricky. I'd say an inspirational leader, since Brels love their heroes, but that might be more PP material.

tyrlaan

Explorer
Wouldn't some of these be better served as Paragon Paths?

In my mind at least, I think there's a bit of a blurred edge between PPs and themes.

This is true.

However, I think what distinguishes a Theme from a Paragon Path is that a PP is...well a Paragon of that class or race.

A Theme needs to be of cross-class benefit. You need to be able to see how several classes would belong to that Theme.

For example, a Last War veteran could be a Fighter, a Ranger (scout), a Wizard, Warlock or Sorcerer (artillery using Wands), a Warlord, etc etc.

jelmore

First Post
Looking at the themes in the Dark Sun Campaign Setting book, I can see some easy translation to Eberron:

Athasian Minstrel -- Thuranni/Phiarlan Entertainer
Elemental Priest -- Ashbound, Child of Winter
Dune Trader -- Dragonmarked House Guildmate (clunky name)
Gladiator -- Gladiator (think Darguun or Droaam)
Noble Adept -- Inspired Adept
Primal Guardian -- Eldeen Guardian
Templar -- Aundarian Agent or Sentinel Marshal
Veiled Alliance -- The Aurum
Wasteland Nomad -- Demon Wastes Nomad
Wilder -- Empty Vessel

Remove ads