D&D 5E there aren't enough slow Dwarves with Axes! ;)

Tru dat, but we need to begin somewhere :)

A relatively simple partial fix is to allow enemies to drop prone using their reaction when fired at with ranged fire. Combine with high AC enemies for best effect.

Result: ranged fire makes enemies drop prone, making it harder to attack them at range and easier to attack them in melee. Ranged fire continues to pin the enemy in place while the melee elements advance to engage them at advantage. Combined arms can exploit the enemy's posture better than melee alone or ranged alone.

The other half would be to remove the absurdly-short range limits on monster powers. Instead of a Medusa paralyzing "anyone who sees her within 30'", just make it the old-school "anyone who sees her face". (With the obvious caveat that the DM will rule when she's too far away to be seen, so e.g. no petrifying beings on other planets just because they look at your planet. Obviously.) That removes one of the major rewards of staying at range.

One additional touch is to throw in some occasional highly-mobile enemies with ranged weapons of their own, such as griffins or mounted hobgoblins. The PCs will then voluntarily retreat onto terrain where close-quarters fighting is more appropriate, e.g. into the woods, where the slow dwarf can clothesline the hobgoblin and then bust his skull with her axe.

Valetudo

Adventurer
I feel part of the problem is that you cant charge without the feat. It really hurts heavy armored guys whos job is to get into melee as soon as possible. Thats a heavy cost using a feat when dex builds have so many options.

CapnZapp

Legend
I feel part of the problem is that you cant charge without the feat. It really hurts heavy armored guys whos job is to get into melee as soon as possible. Thats a heavy cost using a feat when dex builds have so many options.

I have rated the feat over at my Feat Review. Here:

Charger
bonus action attack; +5 damage on this charge attack only
Design: This is the first truly failed feat. Contrast with if the feat let you take the Dash action instead (as your bonus action), and gave you the damage bonus or push on all your attacks that round. Then just maybe you could justify the feat.
Fun: Nothing fun about being able to make the least impressive charge in the history of D&D
Power: This is a trap. Not charging is better than charging, which means this feat actually makes you weaker than you were.
I invite you to follow the link to post your thoughts over there.

MonkeyWrench

Explorer

Good call. The lack of a base charge option was very jarring during my group's first few sessions with 5e.

smbakeresq

Explorer

%100 correct, so I changed it. Charge is an option that everyone can use now just as the feat reads as a combat option. Charger the feat is dash is a bonus action and you get damage bonus on your attack action. I also make sure to let the bad guys use the charge option also, the orcs charging in just get better.

The difference is fair, everyone can get one attack with a bonus, for a feat you can get the dash as a bonus action with a full sequence with a bonus. The monsters get the charge option also, so it does make the game more dangerous. As a DM you have to moderate this a low levels, the charging mobs can just wipe out a group with a few lucky to hit rolls.

It works better for thieves, who can use it almost every turn.

Last edited:

Remove ads