• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) They butchered the warlock in the new packet

Amrûnril

Adventurer
Jeremy Crawford: One of our goals with this packet was to give the warlock a more distinct mechanical identity.

Also Jeremy Crawford: So yeah, we removed the single most mechanically distinct feature of the warlock and replaced it with half-casting.

Also Jeremy Crawford: We wanted warlocks to experience being "just warlocks" for a couple of levels before choosing a subclass. So we moved the flavor-focused subclass choice to third level and the mechanically focused pseudo-subclass choice to first level.

Also Jeremy Crawford: We wanted warlocks to experience being "just warlocks" for a couple of levels before choosing a subclass. So we moved the flavor-focused subclass choice to third level and the mechanically focused pseudo-subclass choice to first level.
If you think there isn't a hell of a lot of flavour in the difference between the pacts I don't know what to tell you.

I am about to cry about what they did to my baby

and this should (but wont) put the final nail in back compatibility this is NOT the same warlock
My hope is that this was to settle an internal debate at WotC between those that enjoy playing warlocks and those that want them to be generic casters.

And that the feedback is going to make the new Druid wildshape feedback look good. So they don't even think of going forward with this idea.

Amrûnril

Adventurer
If you think there isn't a hell of a lot of flavour in the difference between the pacts I don't know what to tell you.

There's certainly some flavor in the pacts and some mechanics associated with the patrons, but I think it's reasonable to describe the choice between the Fey and the Fiend as being primarily about flavor and the choice between a weapon, a spellbook and a familiar as being primarily about mechanics.

Remathilis

Legend
My hope is that this was to settle an internal debate at WotC between those that enjoy playing warlocks and those that want them to be generic casters.

And that the feedback is going to make the new Druid wildshape feedback look good. So they don't even think of going forward with this idea.
Design a system that uses pact magic but doesn't use short rests.Once you figure that out, send it to WotC.

Remove ads