• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Thieves' World [d20] Jubal's Hawkmasks

Munin

First Post
Franky

Franky returns the nod to Carlo. "I keep telling you friend, it's all in the smile," he says with a mischievous grin. "To my knowledge, there's no such thing as chance, but playing for drinks is just as good."

D20Dazza

Explorer
Kahlahd nods at Franky as he joins Carlo and the desert nomad at the bar "Dice eh, I prefer the cards but why not, I don't mind you buying me drinks all night Franky" the dark, robed man chuckles.

Rath Lorien

First Post
Carlo

"No such thing as chance?" Carlo peers at Franky skeptically, "Ha! Perhaps not with your dice!"

"Anyhow, chance or no, I trust that none here would influence the outcome and that is good enough for me. The gods will do as they may." Carlo eyes the array of rings on Franky’s fingers. "So how did you come to loose that finger anyhow?"

Borson

First Post
Serin

"Haa Haah... Hey you three, got a nice table over here, that is, if you wish to include me in this game of chance..." Serin extends his invitation lightheartedly, not moving from his relaxed posture until/unless one or more of the others care to join him at this table he apparently has claimed for himself thus far.

Rath Lorien

First Post
Carlo

"Well the way I see it, the more there are, the less chance I'll have to pay for drinks."

"But I usually like to be introduced before I let someone buy me drinks. I know a lot of the regulars here, but I don't recognize the face. My name is Carlo. This is Kahlahd the Hawk and Franky Four-Fingers"

Munin

First Post
"Ha! Perhaps not with your dice!"

Franky laughs heartily at this, "No my friend, I've seen your skill with that rapier, I've no wish to face the business end of it. I save those dice," his hand strays to his side and taps another pocket on his vest, "for two-bit chumps I know I can handle."

"So how did you come to loose that finger anyhow?"
He stretches out his fingers and considers the nub of his pinky for a moment. "That, well....he just didn't want to leave Ranke, you know? I went, he stayed. I tried to talk him out of it, but he just wouldn't listen to reason eh? He cited irreconcilable differences...what could I do?" he says with a shrug.

He slaps the Hawk back in greeting and points to the heavy scimitar hanging from his hip. "You've kept that thing in its sheath, I hope. Not that it's any business of mine, but sitting between the likes of you and Carlo here, either I'm the safest man in Sanctuary, or I'm about to lose more than my finger, no?" He stands, gathers his dice and his drink and seats himself at Serin's table.

D20Dazza

Explorer
The Hawk chuckles at Franky's comment "As Carlo intimated I'm hoping I don't have to use it - you leave those other dice in your pocket and we should avoid any need for the blade to be drawn" the desert warrior stands and moves lithely over to the table now occupied by Franky and Serin "Coming? he says to Carlo as he moves off.

MummyKitty

First Post
As the group takes a table and continues their banter, the door to the Golden Lion swings open and a man enters. He's dressed in the typical non-descript, shabby clothes that a thousand Sanctans wear, and has a scarf wrapped over most of his face. He quickly looks about with half-closed eyes and motions to the woman keeping the bar and points at the kitchen. She looks at the man, then at the kitchen, a bit quizzically. As if in answer to the man's gestures the cook comes out of the kitchen. The man points at the cook, then at himself then at the other door behind the bar.

"Grenelde," says the cook. "Watch the place for a moment." He goes to the door, pulls out a key and opens it, and both men go inside.

A few minutes later, they come out of the door, the man with the scarf walking quickly to leave the tavern. The cook's face is hard to read in the dim light. Grenelde moves toward him to say something but he shakes his head a little and murmers something that's hard to hear from your table, but this seems to satisfy her curiousity and she goes back to polishing the bar with her dirty rag. The cook returns to his duties in the kitchen, but you can see him looking out through a small window in the swinging door.

Almost immediately after the man with the scarf leaves, a small group of three men enters the bar. Two of the men are supporting another man who appears to be unconsious and unable to walk by himself. All three appear to be ordinary, run-of-the-mill sell-swords, wearing their weapons in the open with the slight jingle of metal betraying the armor they wear under their cloaks. One of the caravan drivers at the other table looks up at the commotion and one of the men says to the unconsious man, "C'mon Ibus. Upsidaisie. Cap'n got a room for you to sleep it off." The unconsious man's head rolls around and he moans slightly. As the men carry their burden up the stairs you notice that all three have blackish-green mud spattered on their clothes and boots (in fact, you can smell them from your table after they pass). And, the unconsious man looked like he had a red stain on his shirt. It was hard to tell for sure, it could have been wine... but it just as easily could have been blood.

The men drag their fellow up the stairs and you can hear them thumping around for a bit, then, silence. The caravan drivers at the other table go back to their conversation, for them, these two events seem like typical late night activities in Sanctuary...

D20Dazza

Explorer
"Hmmm" Kahlahd muses as he scratches at his chin "So what do you make of that then? And more importantly do we let it lie or should we investigate?" the Hawk asks of the group.

Rath Lorien

First Post
Carlo

(OOC) Use Local Knowledge (+7) to confirm if the mud and smell came from the swamp (or from the sewers?).
(OOC) It never occures to Carlo that anyone would imagine it could be wine on his shirt.

"It really is none of my business, but I would hate for something to inturrupt our dice game once we get started. Franky, you are probably more familiar with our good host than the rest of us. Do you think he would appreciate an offer of assistance?"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads