• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Things I dislike about Dragon Mag.

Outergod

First Post
Why is it necessar to have 8-20 pages of fiction? Is this a fiction magazine? When I pick up the lastest fiction hard-cover from Waldenbooks do I expect 8-20 pages of feats and skills?

In addition, is there any reason that I need a 4+ page article on "things you can yell when performing feats?"

Fluff. Annoying. Other than that it's a great mag.

Outergod

Quinn

First Post
Dragon's had a short story section going back as far as I can remember. Sometimes I read it, but mostly I skip it as well. Typically, the stories aren't THAT long though. 8 pages is about the max. And I really don't expect every article to be to my liking.

KB9JMQ

First Post
Well I never read the fiction so I don't care if it is in there or not.

But as a very weak DM I really like fluff like what to yell because it helps me think of things I might not on my own.

While making notes for a night's game if I remember something like that it can help expand my game and give it some color that I might otherwise not add.

Fenes 2

First Post
I am not sure about the story, but I really really like fluff articles, particularly if they give pointers on how to add details and panache to a game. Appropriate one-liners, quips and similar things fall into that category.

I don't need new rules very often, much of that can be solved with a d20 and a DC, but flavor, fluff, description, fleshed NCPs with motivations, quirks etc.

haiiro

First Post
Outergod said:
In addition, is there any reason that I need a 4+ page article on "things you can yell when performing feats?"

Every article in a particular issue of Dragon won't appeal to every reader (which is why I prefer the loosely-themed or non-themed issues to the tightly-themed ones). I don't think it's reasonable to expect every article to appeal to your tastes, and the bang:buck ratio Dragon provides is generally quite good, IMO.

Edit: removed the quote regarding the fiction issue (left in by mistake originally).

Last edited:

Katerek

Iconic Gnoll
Like some others I find the fiction annoying, but hey I just don't read it.

I also prefer the non-themed issues, because everynow and then there are issues with themes that don't mean anything to me.

I think the 'fluff' articles are great. One of my favorites was the one that had the "Krusk's Creek" picture. I still chuckle when I think of that.

mkarol

First Post
I am one of those wierd ones that _like_ the fiction. Why? Because it is like being in the game. It generates ideas, not for just one combat or encounter, or even one adventure; but for an entire campaighn. To me the RP experience (skills, feats, combat, charachter, motivation...) are all about telling a story, living through a story. I find it helpful therefore to read short little stories to help me put all the pieces together.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I generally like the fiction, especially when it's by an author that I like (the Fool Wolf stories, for instance). Reading fantasy fiction can only add to your game.

And I admit I have this fantasy that every year a few new gamers pick up Dragon and are thunderstruck with the realization that people write fantasy, that there is fantasy fiction out there. I like to beleive that that's true; I have run into 2 gamers who were utterly surprised that there was a whole raft of fantasy fiction out there. I'm still surprised by the number of gamers I run into these days (*old geezer alert*) that do not read regularly.

That is one thing I can remember from The Old Days. If you ran into a gamer, he would also be a fantasy fiction fan.

If the fiction section can encourage even one person to read more, then that section has more than done it's job and earned it's keep.

eris404

Explorer
WayneLigon said:
I generally like the fiction, especially when it's by an author that I like (the Fool Wolf stories, for instance). Reading fantasy fiction can only add to your game.

I certainly don't think fiction is a waste of space in the magazine. As an aspiring fantasy author myself, one of my dreams is to get printed in Dragon. It's a great outlet for writers.

I like to read fantasy fiction, too, but I have to admit that I usually don't like the fantasy authors that get printed in Dragon, so I'll skip that section most months. The exception this time was the George R.R. Martin excerpt - big fan. I think some may have taken exception to the fiction this time because it was long, a whole chapter of his new book. But otherwise, I agree with you. I've gotten so many great ideas from books - right now I'm reading Newton's Cannon which is just full of alchemical goodness.

And I admit I have this fantasy that every year a few new gamers pick up Dragon and are thunderstruck with the realization that people write fantasy, that there is fantasy fiction out there. I like to beleive that that's true; I have run into 2 gamers who were utterly surprised that there was a whole raft of fantasy fiction out there. I'm still surprised by the number of gamers I run into these days (*old geezer alert*) that do not read regularly.

Really? I'm quite surprised by that, although I guess the two don't necessarily go hand in hand. I'm especially surprised considering the number of D&D-based novels WotC produces.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads