• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Things that probably won't happen, but man would it be cool if they did!

Holy Bovine

First Post
I want new stories and new adventures. I swear if I see the GDQ or B2 adventures done again I will blow a gasket. Every edition should have its own awesome series of adventures - we do not need the same damned thing redone for every edition! :mad:

I like this thread. A free-wheeling imagination of the future of D&D Next.

23. Basic D&D is released as totally Open Source.
24. WotC commissions David Salo (the linguist who made the Elvish, Dwarvish, and Orkish dialogue and lyrics for the LotR and Hobbit films) and Mark Okrand (the linguist who invented the Klingon language) to actually design all the D&D languages. Being acquainted with Salo, I encouraged him (a few years ago) to send a proposal to WotC. I don't know if he ever heard back from WotC.
25. WotC commissions Shire Post Mint to make every kind of coin from all published D&D Worlds.
26. Every WotC adventure, sourcebook, and magazine article has a web enhancement that gives at least a sentence describing how that fits into each of the published D&D Worlds: FR, GH, DL, EB, DS, Blackmoor, Nerath, Mystara, Birthright, Pelinore, Jakandor, Ghostwalk, Council of Wyrms, Ravenloft, Spelljammer, Planescape.
27. Genre Books which are 100% compatible and multi-classable with Medieval Fantasy D&D: D&D Modern, D&D Supers, D&D Sci-Fi, D&D Western and so forth.
28. Culture Books like Oriental Adventures and the 2e Historical Reference series, but for every regional culture in the whole world: Celtic Adventures, Turtle Island Adventures, Nubian Adventures (like Nyambe), Emirate Adventures, Babylonian Adventures, Pharaonic Adventures, and more. And with OA broken down into Cathayan Adventures and Zipangu Adventures.
29. The "Reality Shift" concept from former D&D Brand Manager Bruce Heard is taken up as the rationale for why the worlds look somewhat different when portrayed by a different rules set.
30. Pluffet Smedger's "mathematical model" (i.e. the D&D game as it is supposed to actually exist in the World of Greyhawk) is restored as the fictive frame for the entire D&D game line, in a similar way that Tolkien's "Red Book of Westmarch" is supposed to be a real book which contains the entire Middle-earth Legendarium, which he found and translated into English.
31. For a small fee, WotC agrees to a free-rein license to Bruce Heard (which he recently asked for, but was declined) to make a "Bruce Heard's D&D World of Mystara" line. Or sells Mystara to him outright, for not much money.
32. D&D Next, as an Open Source game, flourishes as a cross-world, cross-publisher engine, in the way that the 3e-era d20 System was before the 3.5e corporatist monkeywrench. In this way, someone who learned Basic D&D could run stories in nearly any fictional world without having to learn another rules set.
33. Middle-earth D&D Next. Star Wars D&D Next. Star Trek D&D. Narnia D&D. Magic the Gathering D&D. Harry Potter D&D. Thundarr the Barbarian D&D. Transformers D&D. Smurfs D&D. Pokemon D&D (so I could play that with my nephew, who, for better or worse, really digs the Pokemon world). Stephen King's Dark Tower D&D. Marvel Universe D&D. DC Universe D&D. Capcom D&D. Wonderful World of Disney D&D (à la Kingdom Hearts). Wizard of Oz D&D. Final Fantasy D&D. Legend of Zelda D&D. Labyrinth D&D. Princess Bride D&D. Neverending Story D&D. Dark Crystal D&D. All 100% rules compatible (at least with some suite of optional rules from the DMG), so that a worlds-leaping character could conceivably multiclass as, say a Fighter/Jedi/Starfleet Officer.
34. Storybook Rules Module in the DMG for running a campaign which has hardly any combat, such as Winnie the Pooh D&D.
35. D&D Modern released with Campaign Models set in the far future (i.e. modern tech) of all the medieval fantasy worlds: Greyhawk Modern, The Modern Realms, Dragonlance Modern, Dark Sun Modern, and so forth.
36. Besides the default style, the three 5e core rulebooks are released in various 'edition themes' which feature the typeface, graphic design, and illustrations which mimic an earlier edition. For example, an OD&D themed 5e PHB, MM, and DMG printed on manila, an orange-spine AD&D1e theme, a BECMI theme, a 3e gear-and-jewel theme, and so forth. Only old school artists from that edition would be featured in that theme set.

Last edited:

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Dragonlance Chronicles adapted to TV in a style similar to, but not as graphic as, Game of Thrones.

An Eberron-based animated series.

New D&D action figures and playsets that can double as minis and adventure environments.

D&D Transformers crossover action figures with dragons that transform into robots and can be combined to form Tiamat.

Dragonlance Campaign Setting that resets/reboots the world back to just after Legends (similar to how Dark Sun was reset in 4th Edition).

Almanac style products similar to the Poor Wizard's Almanac full of adventure hooks and optional timeline advancement to portray living worlds that change gradually over time (as opposed to big, drastic, cosmic changes like Realms Shaking Events) for every setting.

One 6 episode Adventure Path or two 3 episode Adventure Paths per year, with a focus on a different campaign setting each year.

Standalone adventures (a few smaller adventures and one mega-dungeon) every year that can be dropped into any setting (with a few tips and tricks for some of the stranger settings).

A beautifully-designed Android and iOS app which allowed character creation and all aspects of at-the-table character management (with integrated, pre-calculated, rolls) released for free (or cheap), by WotC.

The "Tactical Module", by some dark miracle, actually replicating the best elements of 4E combat without increasing combat lengths to 4E times.

All classes being fully viable in combat, and not theoretically balanced by theoretical out of combat performance or non-performance.

Planescape given new life by a writer just as philosophically-inclined as Zeb Cook (and yeah, no, Monte Cook isn't that), and an artist as talented as DiTerlizzi (neither needs to be identical to the former - just as talented), but actually brought forward and made more interesting.

A Psionics hardback that is totally awesome and combines the best of every edition, and actually makes Psionics seem like something you want in your game, not something that makes you go "HMMMM" (4E was closest, so far, but still had so many many issues).

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
Stephen Fabian's depcition of Strahd looks just like actor Anthony Higgins (
Moriarty
in Young Sherlock Holmes). And Anthony Higgins looks just like Hugh Jackman.

I think Frank Langella in Dracula is actually the closer resemblance. Unfortunately, that's 40 years ago.

However, Langella has given a bravura performance as a quasi-lich, so maybe get him for Azalin. :)

gweinel

Explorer
As many said:

Planescape campaign setting and adventures. Not just a shot and go but a deep and profound work equiveland to the quality of Zeb Cook and the vision of Diterlizzi.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads