Things you did NOT like about Fellowship of the Ring.

Storm Raven

First Post
kenjib said:

I actually agree with the original poster. While the duelling was okay, I would have liked the scene better if it were handled with more subtlety. My vision of it in the books did not involve a dramatic wizard duel. It was simply Saruman locking Gandalf in the tower, Gandalf being caught by surprise and not wanting to strike out against the man who was once his close friend and master. Jackson has many tremendous merits as a director, but subtlety has never been one of them. There are other scenes that reflect this as well.

Actually, if you read the scene in the book closely, it is "Gandalf not believing he can single-handedly take on Saruman's army of orcs and escape Orthanc by force." It wasn't friendship at that point that stayed Gandalf's hand, it was the physical threat of the thousands of orcs living within the Ring of Isenguard.

Last edited:

DMaple

First Post
The pace of the Followship of the Ring was way to slow. I mean its something like 15 years between Bilbo leaving the Shire and Frodo having to leave with the ring.

Sure it implies a slow building evil growing in strength but really it adds nothing to the book and makes you lose interest in the story.

I'm glad they improved the pace when they made it a film, otherwise it could have been as dull as the book.

hellbender

First Post
Rhialto said:
What didn't I like...?

The wave of whining about the film that arose on the internet, like a mass of cockroaches stirring from the depths...

Which, realistically, is no worse than the trolls who come to a thread that they disagree with just to provoke people, I suppose.

hellbender

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Just seen it (at last!) and I thoroughly enjoyed the vision of the film. When I next read the story I'll have a new set of mental images for things ;)

While I wouldn't go as far as dislikes, there are a couple of things that I was surprised that they didn't include:

• The initial doubt about Strider, and the thought that servants of the enemy would "seem fairer and feel fouler"; also the whole Anduril business already touched upon.
  • Gimli being so touched by the beauty of Galadrial that he wants nothing as a gift but a thread of her hair - marking a complete change in his attitudes, as when Legolas sees the remarkable caves (near helms deep?)

Personally I would have trimmed some of the boating scenes, the sam hanging in deep water (?) scene and the collapsing stairway scene in order to have included them. But then what do I know about filmmaking :D

Cheers

BTW, the BBC radio adaption is still *definitely* worth getting if you can obtain it. Most excellent!

Remove ads