• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Things you did NOT like about Fellowship of the Ring.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Actually, I had different problems with Galadriel. I didn't mind the temptation scene at all - it was meant to be over-the-top. Still, I really didn't like any of her other scenes. She is a very powerful character in the book, but the actor's performance in the movie left me very underwhelmed.

Other than that, though, I loved it! Up until this point, I had never seen any movie more than once in the movie theater, but I saw this one 3 times... wow.

BronzeDragon

Explorer
Thanks for all your answers, the topic raised many things I had forgotten and should have mentioned in the opening post, and the discussion remained, more or less, within the bounds of reason.

Let me say it again. I liked the movie a great deal. I've watched it 3 times already, and intend to see it again.

What I usually complain about movies that are adaptations of books is that, in order to negate criticism, people often tell you that the story had to be "streamlined" or some such thing.

Now, let me understand this. Streamlining means reducing size, right? Like in cutting minutes off the movie, right?

My gripe is that the adaptation could have been better withOUT increasing movie lenght. Indeed, it could have been decreased.

Someone mentioned the falling stair scene, which took a great deal of time, perhaps two minutes or more, and could have been erased so other scenes, that were present in the books and advanced either the plot or characters, could be added. As an aside, a multi-hundred ton piece of rock hitting that stair, full-force, shouldn't have toppled it too?

Other scenes could also be remembered if I was interested in nitpicking carefully.
The point is, it could have easily been better, and that is to say something. A project that consumed the amount of money it did, and which supposedly had the best Tolkien experts working behind it, should have been a bit more carefull with how the story was told. Much of the subtlety of Tolkien's work was lost (specially, at the scene where Bilbo basically turns into a gollum-like creature for a moment. The books mention a fleeting moment of rage, not a morphing of Bilbo's face).
To those that will want to say "accept it as it is, enjoy the work that was done!", I say that I did enjoy what I saw. It's just that the movie was marketed as the ultimate adaptation of Tolkien's work.

And that is something it clearly was not.

Curranos

First Post
Hm where to begin? I am possibly the only person in the entire world who was disapointed with the movie. The movie was visually spectacular and if this was the only reqirement of a film then it would be posible to claim that this was indeed a great movie. It captured in so many ways how I imagined Middle Earth to be but the story and the characters were in some instances altered so radicaly that the original story that was first told by Tolkien was lost. I guess what I hoped for was a movie of Tolkien's work what I recieved was a re-invention and reworking of Tolkien's novel.
I belive some people will say that there is nothing wrong with this indeed this new material is better than Tolkiens original work but then as Tolkien himself wrote

"White!" he sneered. "It serves as a begining. White cloth may be dyed. the white page can be overwritten;and white light can be broken."
"In which case it is no longer white," said I "And he that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."

It matters little now the movie is done we have this facsimile of Tolkiens work a good movie in the fantasy genre but not a great movie as movies go or even as an adaptation of the book. If anyone is the least interested in specific details let me know

rounser

First Post
Someone mentioned the falling stair scene, which took a great deal of time, perhaps two minutes or more, and could have been erased so other scenes, that were present in the books and advanced either the plot or characters, could be added. As an aside, a multi-hundred ton piece of rock hitting that stair, full-force, shouldn't have toppled it too?

There are pacing reasons which movies have - and which books don't - that you're ignoring.

You'll probably get your wish with the DVD though.

BronzeDragon

Explorer
rounser said:
There are pacing reasons which movies have - and which books don't - that you're ignoring.

Oh, far from it my friend. I believe you are the one ignoring the pacing aspect.

Tell me, what exactly does stopping for two minutes with a Balrog in your tail add to the pacing of the scenes?

Don't you think they could have just raced through the stairs while being hailed by orc arrows?
The way it was done, the Balrog had to be artificially delayed (he seemed to be pretty close when the Fellowship started running for their lives in the Great Hall), so he wouldn't stumble upon a very vulnerable bunch of characters hanging on a piece of rock.

It seemed like a very bad idea to me.

Last edited:

Lothaire

First Post
Another pet peeve of mine about the movie:
The wizards duel between Sarumon and Gandalf. It just seemed gratutious and tacked on to me. I am sure that there was a better way to show that Gandalf was confined against his will than this silly teleknetic duel.

rounser

First Post
Oh, far from it my friend. I believe you are the one ignoring the pacing aspect.

I'm not referring to the pacing of a single action scene, but to the movie as a whole, which was what your suggestion entailed.

And yes, 2 minutes of less action and more character development would change the pacing of the movie.

BronzeDragon

Explorer
Only if the director was lousy.

The character development scenes could be placed in parts of the movie which were already heavy with it, or which could have benefitted from it (like the Lothlórien scenes).

rounser

First Post
Only if the director was lousy.

They probably have some subtle reasons for including that scene - such as pacing - otherwise it wouldn't be there. Cutting over 1 and a 1/2 hours of footage from the Director's Cut (which was cut down to size itself) must have been hell...

No, I think they must have sweated blood over almost every scene's reason for being there, including that one. It's not just the time spent on the scene that matters, but what it adds to the movie as a whole. And I said "movie" on purpose, not "plot" or "character development"...

BronzeDragon

Explorer
I understand cutting scenes is probably a murderous work, but can you tell me what did that scene add to the movie as a whole?

I mean, other than seeing a ridiculous scene of a dwarf hanging by his beard...

Remove ads