D&D General This week on HOW-I-RUN-IT.com: Salvaging "Salvage Operation" from GoS

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Today is #TroglodyteTuesday on HOW-I-RUN-IT.com and the latest installment was inspired by looking at the 5E Owlbear stat block for the first time and realizing how boring and static it is (as are too many monsters) and how they stripped it of the one special ability it traditionally had at the same time that WotC released their latest "Draft" of their "OGL" which claimed to be generous by putting "mechanics" in creative commons but limits the real D&Dish stuff to their shady licensing deal. As such, it struck me as ironic that they were announcing limits on who can make Owlbears at the same time I was discovering that they can't seem to make a good one themselves!

As such, and since my content falls under the Fan agreement, i decided to make my own version: THE BEAROWL (pronunced "beh-rowl")

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Last week was pretty busy for me, so this week is a little light on content for the site, though I worked on this one for quite a while.

I converted the Knockdown rules adapted from 2E's Combat & Tactics (that my group used in both our late 2E and throughout 3E games) to 5E.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Today on HOW-I-RUN-IT.com:

Covering my coverless copy of Dragon Magazine #102 for #DragonMagMonday

I am also close to completing an article on 10 House Rules for Dynamic/Engaging Combat, which should be up either this Thursday or next.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I started a thread just for this, but figured I'd share it here too

Next week, look for another installment of Dweomer Day presenting the Wand of Hammer Blows. . . I am also working on a Troglodyte Tuesday post presenting the Gibbering Troll. In the long term, I am working on the first in a series giving suggestions for running stuff out of Ghosts of Saltmarsh based on how I ran it.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Today is Dweomer Day!

I converted the Wand of Hammer Blows from Dragon #102 (October 1985) from Ed Greenwood's 'Nine Wands of Wonder" (none of which are, you know, wands of wonder) to a 5E version with the new method of dealing with charges (which I dislike) and an optional version that handles charges more traditionally.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
It's #DragonMagMonday on HOW-I-RUN-IT.com!

Today I cover another coverless issue of Dragon in my collection, #103. An issue notable for its inclusion of errata for the notoriously error-ridded 1E Unearthed Arcana and for the soon to be ousted from TSR, Gary Gygax, giving his opinion on what the second edition of AD&D might look like.

Here is a brief excerpt:
. . .the thing that stands out most to me about Gygax’s discussion of a new edition is that there is no mention of playtesting, player surveys, or design philosophy. The whole piece gives the sense that AD&D does not need much more than a “cleaning up,” with Uncle Gary smoothing over a few of the contradictions that emerged between and among the countless subsystems used to run the game at that time. We all know that it takes many people, not just one man, to create something like a new edition of Dungeons & Dragons, but at this time Gygax banked on his name being synonymous with the game, something he worked to establish as part of his strategy to write Dave Arneson out of the game’s origins. But it would not be enough to keep the game’s fate tied to his.

Personally, I think in terms of both the game and the folk culture, Gygax’s exile was for the better.

Opinions and comments welcome here or there. . .

Remove ads