D&D 5E A monster stat block should always fit on one side of one page maximum (a poll)

How long should a monster stat block be at maximum?

• A monster stat block should as long as it needs to be.

Votes: 24 22.2%
  • A monster stat block should always have a one page maximum

Votes: 51 47.2%
  • I want the entire stat block and the lore/description to fit on one page

Votes: 33 30.6%

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
So I am curious on how others feel about this (I have pretty strong feelings). The question is, Do you think a monster stat block should always fit on one side of one page (maximum), regardless of the monster's level or complexity? Or is it okay for it to be on more than one page? This means that whether it is a lowly kobold or an ancient red dragon you think the DM should never have to flip a page to see everything it can do. (of course, some monsters might take a whole lot less than a full page)

To be clear, I do not mean its description/lore, I mean just the mechanical stuff you need to run it in a combat situation. Though if you think the entire monster description and stat block should always fit on one side of one page you can let us know.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
It doesn't need to be a firm rule, but it should definitely be a goal.

If a monster has some sort of ability that takes multiple paragraphs to explain, that should really be the focus of the monster. It shouldn't be one ability in a laundry list of other abilities.

Monsters in a monster manual should have 1 or 2 distinct, interesting abilities (not counting stuff like claw/bite or saving throws or basic defenses) and be really good at those so they have the opportunity to make a serious impact during a combat.

Monsters that have a wide suite of versatile abilities like a PC should be bespoke NPCs the DM makes, not another entry in a monster manual.

Mad_Jack

Legend
Unless the monster is some unique individual that's going to be a big fight for the party, there shouldn't really be any reason that its stat block (and as mentioned, ideally, it's entire entry) should take up more than one page.

Stormonu

Legend
I can't think of any reason a monster should take more than one page. That's just too complex.

I'm fine if the description and additional textual information takes up another page or more, but the stat block should never be more than one page.

Do we have any examples? I can't think of any monster that currently takes more than a page.

Oofta

Legend
Most should be on one page, but I don't think it should be a hard and fast rule. Lore and fluff to give me ideas on how to use a monster should take what it needs.

Xamnam

Loves Your Favorite Game
Vampire in the MM takes up exactly one page with no extra fluff/flavor/tactics/lair stuff. Beholder is pretty close to that.

Remove ads