D&D 5E A monster stat block should always fit on one side of one page maximum (a poll)

How long should a monster stat block be at maximum?

• A monster stat block should as long as it needs to be.

Votes: 24 22.2%
  • A monster stat block should always have a one page maximum

Votes: 51 47.2%
  • I want the entire stat block and the lore/description to fit on one page

Votes: 33 30.6%

overgeeked

B/X Known World
That seems close to what I often use for shorthand, though I assume this is for general monster reference and not a specific creature as you do not list HP. Not clear on the "Act 2d20" entry, though. :unsure: What is that for? Am I just having a brain cloud moment?
Exactly. The HD are listed and you're supposed to roll them...if you want, or pick, or max, etc. It's from DCC. Instead of multiattack or multiple attack modifiers it uses Action Dice, abbreviated here to Act. That 2d20 means it acts twice in a round using 1d20 for each attack. Some have other die types listed, like 1d20+1d16, meaning two attacks, one at 1d20 and one at 1d16. DCC uses a lot of funky dice.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I wish they'd figure out how to simplify the statblocks and shorten them.....but I'm not holding my breath. So, yes, the blocks should fit on one page or less as a general rule.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Personally, I don't care how long the lore/description part is. It could be one paragraph or three pages. But when it comes to the block itself I want it to all fit on one side of one page. Sure things like kobolds and goblins and stirges can be multiple to a page, but even a unique legendary being (as far as I am concerned) should all fit on one page.

In fact, I would go further and say it should all fit on one side of one page including shorthand for any spells it has access to that would make sense to those familiar and include the page number for the book the spell is in for those who aren't (I am not sure why WotC doesn't do that - I know why a 3PP monster book may not refer to the page numbers in the PHB or whatever, but surely WotC books can and should do that every time a spell (or feat) is listed).

Stormonu

Legend
Swallow (or Engulf) should be made a condition, so the text isn't so long and have to be repeated in every stat block.

1677263521847.png

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
In fact, I would go further and say it should all fit on one side of one page including shorthand for any spells it has access to that would make sense to those familiar and include the page number for the book the spell is in for those who aren't (I am not sure why WotC doesn't do that - I know why a 3PP monster book may not refer to the page numbers in the PHB or whatever, but surely WotC books can and should do that every time a spell (or feat) is listed).
I like that idea, too, but I can see that with the 2024 PHB coming next year, all of their current books are supposed to be (mostly) backwards compatible. If they all had page references to the 2014 PHB, it would cause problems using that old material.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I do not want to be running a combat, and have to flip pages to see all of a monster's stats.

So, the overall listing can be longer, but the combat stats ought to fit on one page.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Exactly. The HD are listed and you're supposed to roll them...if you want, or pick, or max, etc. It's from DCC. Instead of multiattack or multiple attack modifiers it uses Action Dice, abbreviated here to Act. That 2d20 means it acts twice in a round using 1d20 for each attack. Some have other die types listed, like 1d20+1d16, meaning two attacks, one at 1d20 and one at 1d16. DCC uses a lot of funky dice.
Thanks for the explanation. I was expecting to see HP as I use shorthand in my adventure notes, where I need the specific HP of the creature(s). I use the shorthand as there are many things in my notes competing for space. For a general monster reference (like in the Monster Manual), a longer stat block is OK. I think more than one side of one page is too much, except for rare cases that others have called out.

Voadam

Legend
I really like 4e's having a lot of the mechanics spelled out on the page instead of short handing descriptions the way 3e/Pathfinder did with feats and spellcasting. I find 3e's method really easy to forget about relevant aspects at the table. I also really like that 4e, for the most part, kept it to one page max.

In practice for my ftf games I will shorthand stuff to a curt stat block on a notepad. For my 5e game it has been AC, HP, attack bonus (with multiple entries for multiattack), damage, special ability/ies note.

Remove ads