This Weekend @ the Boxoffice: 2007.Dec.10

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Well, Golden Compass did well but not the expectations wanted, I see this as just fallout from a weak boxoffice, high gas prices and bad economics, people just are not going to the movies, but some are calling this a victory against the movie.

attachment.php

I still see this as proof that we have reached the cealing on cost of movies, anything over 150 million in budget just does not have a good chance of making it's money back (in ticket sales).

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
Hand of Evil said:
Well, Golden Compass did well but not the expectations wanted, I see this as just fallout from a weak boxoffice, high gas prices and bad economics, people just are not going to the movies, but some are calling this a victory against the movie.

Honestly, it just wasn't that good either. Don't get me wrong, it was enjoyable. But I don't think it will engender a lot of word of mouth or repeat viewings.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Beowulf is halfway home. Bee movie will probably fall short of doing it through initial run ticket sales. I was surprised how empty the theatre was where I watched Golden Compass and do not doubt that some of the boycotting is having an effect.

Last edited:

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
I'm hearing of a number of flops, including one film that cost around $250 million to make.
I can't list off the films, but it seems Hollywood just poured over a billion dollars down the toilet, making films that simply would not sell to American audiences. (and even in today's inflated world, that's still a tidy sum of money ...)

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Edena_of_Neith said:
I'm hearing of a number of flops, including one film that cost around $250 million to make.
I can't list off the films, but it seems Hollywood just poured over a billion dollars down the toilet, making films that simply would not sell to American audiences. (and even in today's inflated world, that's still a tidy sum of money ...)

And yet in the WGA strike thread when I mention the Producers are bleeding money right now I am shouted down with cries of how wealthy the Producers are and how they are hoarding all the money and how writers should be paid residuals in addition to the up-front fee on films even when they totally flop...

Split the Hoard

Split the Hoard
Negotiate, demand, or steal the loot you desire!

A competitive card game for 2-5 players
Remove ads