This Worries Me a Little...

Regarding the campaign setting of Slaine the Role-Playing-Game of Celtic-Heroes and what the Falian Tribal Source Book is about. Not that it's directly ever referred to, but there is the practice of mostly white people who paint themselves black in order to obfuscate themselves in order to become more efficient killers/asssasin's of the night.

Although, I am just running the Invulnerable King/Teeth of the Moon Sow module that doesn't even seem to include any Falian's at least in the beginning. One of my players from the dark continent may notice this or even read the book. Not that have read much of that tribal book, I do know of this from reading Slaine graphic novels, namely the Horned God where I got most of my knowledge of their practices from....

I just worried they might see this as blackfacing and not the -not so innocent art of improving one's stealth-.

It's a shame cause, right now it's beginning to make me feel uncomfortable about running the game further down the track when I'll eventually let participants play any type of character they would like to given the amount of source books and articles from magazines that come to this campaign setting. It's really a favorite of mine, since I enjoy the comic so much.

Apologies, for bringing this up on the forum if this topic is not really allowed, but I was wondering if this bothers others as well and if there is a safe way around this?

Last edited:

Just like the Drow colors for female & male Hmmm, I was thinking of really dark green body paint, or just having them wear lots of black or other darkened clothing or am I just being over sensitive and just ignore that facet for now.

ChameleonX

Explorer
Unless he's the SJW type that views everything as "problematic," I wouldn't worry about it. If he brings it up, then you can deal with it. Or, just explain the issue to him directly and ask if it's a problem.

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
I think black face has everything to do with intention, even if it's "just a joke." Provide the simple explanation you gave here of why they're wearing black paint on their face. I think your friend will be able to discern the difference. Maybe crack a joke, but still he'd be fine with it.

Eubani

Legend
soot, charcoal, clays, mud, etc are all things that have historically been used as camouflage "paint". It was what was at hand and worked to varying degrees and has absolutely nothing to do with race. At some point of can we can't we will someone be offended gets out of hand and we just have to say straight up that they are getting out of hand and being offensive themselves.

Omand

Hero
Blackface is considered problematic because it has historically been used by white people to either ridicule or co-opt Black/African/Non-white peoples or cultures.

Camoflage is not problematic. as @not-so-newguy put it, intent matters.

If you are going to have conversations with any of your players though, I would recommend you further check yourself for bias and your own prejudices.

Your OP in this thread uses what can come across as coded racist language in spots. What is this "dark continent" you refer to? Do you mean Africa? Assuming so based upon the context of the rest of your post. Sorry, but that is a red flag worse than your original question about camoflage being blackface. Referring to Africa as the "Dark Continent" has been used in racist, colonialist and imperialist screeds for the better part of three centuries now.

It may not be your intent, but something you really should look at before continuing down this path.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Regarding the campaign setting of Slaine the Role-Playing-Game of Celtic-Heroes and what the Falian Tribal Source Book is about. Not that it's directly ever referred to, but the is the practice of mostly white people who paint themselves black in order to obfuscate themselves in order to become more efficient killers/asssasin's of the night.

Although, I am just running the Invulnerable King/Teeth of the Moon Sow module that doesn't even seem to include any Falian's at least in the beginning. One of my players from the dark continent may notice this or even read the book. Not that have read much of that tribal book, I do know of this from reading Slaine graphic novels, namely the Horned God where I got most of my knowledge of their practices from....

I just worried they might see this as blackfacing and not the -not so innocent art of improving one's stealth-.

It's a shame cause, right now it's beginning to make me feel uncomfortable about running the game further down the track when I'll eventually let participants play any type of character they would like to given the amount of source books and articles from magazines that come to this campaign setting. It's really a favorite of mine, since I enjoy the comic so much.

Apologies, for bringing this up on the forum if this topic is not really allowed, but I was wondering if this bothers others as well and if there is a safe way around this?
Don’t do things that make you uncomfortable. Even if the player said it was fine, it doesn’t seem you will be convinced of this.

So IMO figure out how to make yourself comfortable or don’t run it.

Remove ads