D&D 5E Thoughts on 6-7-13 Playtest Packet

Warbringer

Explorer
That's quite an extraordinary claim, considering their multiple statements to the contrary. Do you have any extraordinary evidence to support this?

What claim? It's an opinion (and equally as valid as yours). I'm basing it on reasonable expectations of product development, and yes, the importance of the 40th anniversary.

You have a different opinion. Cool.

Warbringer

Explorer
Except, emphatically, no. You're talking nonsense. November 2013 for an August 2014 release? Show your working. Because, hey, June. 2014.

Copies to Retail for release (1 week)
Copies to Distribution (4 weeks)
Copies to WOTC warehouse + buffer for customs 4 weeks)
Time at China customs + time at sea (4-6 weeks)
Printing China (12 weeks)
Typeset + art for 3 books (12-14 weeks)

Time once rules set 37-41 weeks, or approximately 8-9 months

Hence rules locked by November/December

All this is nothing but conjecture on my part and I should have stated that clearly first time around

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Copies to Retail for release (1 week)
Copies to Distribution (4 weeks)
Copies to WOTC warehouse + buffer for customs 4 weeks)
Time at China customs + time at sea (4-6 weeks)
Printing China (12 weeks)
Typeset + art for 3 books (12-14 weeks)

Time once rules set 37-41 weeks, or approximately 8-9 months

Hence rules locked by November/December

Cite. This is nonsense.

Folk reading this - these figures are completely made up. I speak as someone who actually knows things

R

RevTurkey

I hope they change the human +1 to all stats to either a 0 across the board or assignable +1x2. Better still have negative stat mods...some races should be worse than humans at some things and some should be better. Humans were always the mid point of reference and that made sense to me.

Jack99

Adventurer
5-6 months is the number most often quoted in this business afaik. At least when we are talking about WotC-sized companies.

Warbringer

Explorer
Cite. This is nonsense.

Folk reading this - these figures are completely made up. I speak as someone who actually knows things

I stated this was my opinion, I provided a reasonable estimate based on what I know and what I've seen said. Mearls recently quoted that the print cycle for books with china was 3-5 months for book runs and up to 9 months for box game runs (sorry I don't have reference).

Add to that type set and you want product in distribution at least before a major launch, you are looking at 6-9 months, so around 6 months of playtest left.

FYI .. I wasn't trying to be a dick or rude, simply stating my opinion; you on the the other hand, not so much. You've been quite successful in a long term lurker/poster not feeling welcome.

Warbringer

Explorer
I really don't think it takes that long for WotC to get things through the printing process. I'll admit, I know almost nothing about publication, but what you're positing just doesn't make sense...

Sorry, last reply blew up.

Yes, pretty much guarantee I'm way off base, like I said its opinion, never claimed anything else.

But if we want a GenCon 2014 release, we aren't still play testing in March. I just don't think we are still play testing at the beginning of 2014.

Re Dragonspear. My guess is it went to print a month ago, is a limited run and most of the content was pre-written and the current rules dropped in ...

Remove ads