• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Thoughts on attending my first Ren Faire

VorpalWarrior69

First Post
So the fiance and I went to a Rennesaince Faire this last weekend, which somehow in 30 or so years of nerd-dom was the first that I've managed to attend. It was way different than I expected.

Among my basic thoughts:
1. It felt like the Ren Faire is more for the people who are putting it on, then for the people who are attending. Does that make sense? There were all these roped off areas where the various troupes were set up, and it seemed like those areas were a lot more fun. In fact I would say that the square footage of closed areas was greater than the common areas. I didn't try to go into the closed off areas (because I was dressed like a total tourist, right down to my plaid shorts), but I'm guessing that I would have been politely asked to leave if I jumped over the ropes...I just have this vision that after the faire closes and the chase out the visitors...thats when all the fun stuff happens, right?
2. There were a LOT of pirates! Were there always so many pirates, or is that an effect of the PotC movies? There were a lot of sashaying Sparrow-like pirates. It felt like being at disneyland. Pirates make me smile for some reason.
3. The beer garden didn't serve homemade meads and ales. It was Newcastle and Guinness, or something like that. That was a major disappointment. I wanted some nasty unfiltered room temperature mead! It seems like that would be a huge opportunity for local homebrewers when these things roll into town. (and if they can get a license to server NewCastle, they can get a license to serve homebrew too, right?)
4. By and large, the things for sale were very disappointing. Very little looked like it was crafted or homemade. My fiance said that she felt like she could get almost everything being sold there at Michaels art supplies or Claires boutique.

All in all, I had a great time. Wish I had dressed up, but I didn't know to expect such an interactive environment. Unfortunately, it was damn hot, and we had to bail out after a couple hours. The people in the heavy costumes must have been hating life by the end of the day.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Well, some of what you mention isn't common to all Faires. For example - the roped off areas. In some cases, you instead have any number of small stages scattered around the faire, so it is clear that it is performance for your benefit.

Sometimes, they may pick a member of the audience out to do shtick with them. It can be fun when they get some SCA-theatre ringer by accident :)

Pirates are trendy. They've been a big thing at faires for a while, but they are assuredly trendy now.

You are not going to see homemade beers and meads at any Ren Faire that wants to keep operating in the long term. The liability of serving food or drink that wasn't produced by regulated means simply isn't worth it to the faire. Not to mention that home-brewers simply cannot produce the volume necessary to serve a crowd that large.

I'm sorry that you didn't have good merchants. Up here in MA we have King Richard's Faire - while it is clearly a touristy thing, and by no means the best and most creative faire around, at least the merch is good.

Aeson

I am the mysterious professor.
I went to our Ren Fest this past Sunday. It was the first time since I was a kid. I still have the wooden shield I bought back then. :)

One thing I noticed from talking about it in the hive is that there are differences. Some are better than others. Some are a lot alike.

I was impressed with the things on sale. The vendors selling weapons were selling Bud K products so those weren't handmade. Many of them looked like they were hand made. Some vendors even did demos.

I didn't see any roped off areas. The behind the scenes areas were fenced off but that was it.

All in all it was a fun experience. It was the thing I needed at this point in my life.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Yeah it is different for each Ren Fair. The old Southern Ontario Ren Fair used to be awesome.

It was in this clearing surrounded by forest, with a river running through it. They had set up permanent buildings, pavilions, bridges, etc.

They had meed being served, various arms and armour for sale, lots and lots of crafts being sold from glasswork and wood-carvings to custom artwork and heraldry.

There were lots of things for the kids to entertain them. While we got raunchy-plays, Beowulf plays, magicians (with lots of swallowing razor blades, etc.) and of course the jousting with full plate-armour knights and horses.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
I've attended King Richards in Massachusetts and the New York Ren Festival in Sterling, NY. They are very similar, but each has a different feel about them.

Overall I prefer the New York Festival to King Richards for one simple reason. At King Richards I noticed the cast members often drop out of character when they are done with their show or scene. At the NY Ren Fest, they seem to always be in character when they are in the public areas.

Craft-wise both are very similar. I think many of the vendors head to King Richards once the NY Ren Fest is over since it starts shortly after NY ends. There sre quite a bit of intersting hand-crafted items for sale. It is very dangerous for me to enter either of these fairs carrying a credit card. King Richards gets a slight edge since when I last went they had a real blacksmith forging swords.

Food and drink I found were better in NY - it is a larger operation and has more choices, especially for my vegetarian wife.

The only thing I really dislike about the NY Ren Fest is the timing. It runs from late June into mid August and it is almost always incredibly hot and humid. King Richards in September/October is much nicer for walking around, watching a show or a joust when there is not much shade.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
We sometimes go to the Maryland Renn Faire. It's nice (in the fall, so it's cooled off), but there's a nagging feeling that I'm paying $20 to go shopping. There were jousts, wire acts, and other things going on, so it wasn't just shopping.

Last year the ladies nixed the trip as they were displeased by the condition of the facilities.

Brad

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Thornir Alekeg said:
I've attended King Richards in Massachusetts and the New York Ren Festival in Sterling, NY. They are very similar, but each has a different feel about them.

The Sterling Forest Faire is far superior, in my opinion. When I last visited, there were timed theatrical scenes running throughout the day, at various places throughout the fairgrounds, that told a story leading up to the joust at the end of the day. Far more entertaining then King Richard's version. And, as you noted, at Sterling the players generally continue playing all day, whether or not they're on stage.

By the way, the absolute best way to enjoy a faire when you're a little older - attend with a 5-year-old boy. Their enthusiasm is infectious. :)

Aeson

I am the mysterious professor.
My dad and I were discussing if we should have brought my 4 year old niece and nephew. Their parents would be there to actually watch after them of course. Our fair had a lot to offer kids. The Tortuga Twins was not one of them. :p

rkwoodard

First Post
some answers

VorpalWarrior69 said:
So the fiance and I went to a Rennesaince Faire this last weekend, which somehow in 30 or so years of nerd-dom was the first that I've managed to attend. It was way different than I expected.

Among my basic thoughts:
1. It felt like the Ren Faire is more for the people who are putting it on, then for the people who are attending. Does that make sense? There were all these roped off areas where the various troupes were set up, and it seemed like those areas were a lot more fun. In fact I would say that the square footage of closed areas was greater than the common areas. I didn't try to go into the closed off areas (because I was dressed like a total tourist, right down to my plaid shorts), but I'm guessing that I would have been politely asked to leave if I jumped over the ropes...I just have this vision that after the faire closes and the chase out the visitors...thats when all the fun stuff happens, right?
2. There were a LOT of pirates! Were there always so many pirates, or is that an effect of the PotC movies? There were a lot of sashaying Sparrow-like pirates. It felt like being at disneyland. Pirates make me smile for some reason.
3. The beer garden didn't serve homemade meads and ales. It was Newcastle and Guinness, or something like that. That was a major disappointment. I wanted some nasty unfiltered room temperature mead! It seems like that would be a huge opportunity for local homebrewers when these things roll into town. (and if they can get a license to server NewCastle, they can get a license to serve homebrew too, right?)
4. By and large, the things for sale were very disappointing. Very little looked like it was crafted or homemade. My fiance said that she felt like she could get almost everything being sold there at Michaels art supplies or Claires boutique.

All in all, I had a great time. Wish I had dressed up, but I didn't know to expect such an interactive environment. Unfortunately, it was damn hot, and we had to bail out after a couple hours. The people in the heavy costumes must have been hating life by the end of the day.

Hi,
I have been going to the Tenn. Faire for years upon years, and was a street actor for 5 years.
All answers depend on which faire you go to. But I vist some Ren Faire boards and have a a pretty good feel.

1) A good faire will have performers and street actors that make it fun for the guest, but yes, it is a blast to be in on the inside. And if the faire has a campground for the performers/merchants, then after hours is a total party. And from heresay, back in the day (late 70s and 80s) those after hour parties were the height of hedonism.

2) Yes, lots and lots of Pirates. Also usually lots of Scots. PotC help jump it up, but pirates are just insanely popular

3) Beer. Most faires do not have a good selection of beers/alchol. However, make friends with people in costume and you will be surprised at what can come out in flask. I had a guy (I knew) come up to me one year and say "here, try this" and poured some home made mead in my tankard. It was really good.

4) Shopping is totally dependent on the faire. The TN faire has some good booths and some that are not ren at all.

Keep going and keep finding new ones, they are a blast, and they are more fun in Garb.

RK

Remove ads