D&D 5E Thoughts on build

Fuchi Miller

Explorer
For reference

My party only has access to PHB and Unearthed Arcana so no SCAG stuff please.

My team will be starting at level 5 and consist of 4-5 people 3 of which i know will be a cleric monk and wizard and a ranger for the 5th. I plan to be the front line tank based off my stat rolls. I chose paladin instead of fighter or barbarian to help make use of the high charisma i rolled. I also didnt plan on stat maxing. I chose vengence becauae i wanted to be kinda chaotic neutral. Also that 7th level skill works well with the lockdown.

Stat totals
Str : 18 (+2 from race)
Dex : 12
Con : 14 (+2 from race)
Int : 8
Wis : 14
Cha : 16

Hp : 49 (hit dice : d10)
Ac : unavailable

Race : Mountain Dwarf
Class : Paladin oath of vengence
Weapon of choice : Glaive
Fighting style : Tunnel Fighter
Feat : Sentinel, Polearm mastery at level 8
Background : Noble
Skills : athletics, intimidation. (Noble) : History, Persuasion.

Questions.
Should i multiclass into fighter if im worried about hordes?
What about finding a tome to buff my dex and multiclass into ranger for the hunter conclave?
Can i HOLD a glaive in 1 hand and a shield in the other? This question is just so I know if i should bother looking for an animated shield.
Good spells to prepare?
Any other feats that would be good for a front line tank?

Prerequisite for multiclassing : Explaining how you learned to be the other class

How we rolled stats : rolled 4d6 added highest 3 numbers for first stat and went down the list. 2 numbers must be above 15.

Any tips are appreciated. And thank you in advance

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Should i multiclass into fighter if im worried about hordes?
What about finding a tome to buff my dex and multiclass into ranger for the hunter conclave?
Can i HOLD a glaive in 1 hand and a shield in the other? This question is just so I know if i should bother looking for an animated shield.
Good spells to prepare?
Any other feats that would be good for a front line tank?

I wouldn't worry about hordes too much - that's why you have other team members. And paladins get a lot of goodies that you want to be level to get.

I don't think base DMG there are any books to raise ability scores.

You can HOLD a glaive with one hand, that's been clarified in Sage Advice. You would not be able to make attacks, including opportunity attacks, so Sentinel (and later part of Polearm Master) lose utility. Also it takes an action to put on a shield and to take it off. (PHB 146).

Spells - people like the Smite spells, but that uses your bonus action which when you have Polearm Mastery will be less useful. I personally like preparing mostly non-combat spells to use in various circumstances and rely more on Divine Smite plus one Smite spell for combat.

neogod22

Explorer
The smite spells are a waste of spell slots for the most part. For spells, you should focus more defense and concentration spells that don't end on a successful attack.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

CydKnight

Explorer
The smite spells are a waste of spell slots for the most part. For spells, you should focus more defense and concentration spells that don't end on a successful attack.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
They are only a waste of slots if you use them and only then, if you don't use them situationally the way they were intended. If you take them and don't use them then they are a waste of your available list of spells.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal

Could you say why you feel the smite spells are a waste? The low level ones usually severely out-damage an equal level slot used by another caster as well as having a rider.

Them and magic missile are among the only spell slots that when used guarantee full damage. And it does it with only using a bonus action to cast. Other spells in 5e require a save or an attack rolls and then do half or none depending on the spell.

And on top of it you get the rider.

So with a 1st level slot you can go for something like Thunderous Smite for 2d6 guaranteed damage (much more and a chance to push & prone, or Wrathful that only adds d6 but has a chance to frighten. Disadvantage on all attacks and ability checks ... and the on way to end it is to spend their action to make an ability check (with disadvantage from the Frightened condition). For a 1st level slot? Oh yeah. Concentration doesn't mean much when you cast it as a bonus action and then make your attack action to deliver it - only if you miss with all of your attacks do you need to worry about it. Or if you land something great like Frightened.

On the other hand, I'm with you the higher level slots don't deliver a much as higher level spells.

Remove ads