• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Thoughts on Kalamar

Treebore

First Post
It caught my attention, just other settings also fired up my imagination. Kalamar is good and detailed but it doesn't have the "spark". At least not compared to Erde, Wilderlands, Oathbound, Dungeonworld, Ravenloft, Rokugan, or Warcraft.

I agree that Athas, Al-qadim, Kara-tur, and BirthRight didn't get me going either. Neither did Planescape, despite my buying a half dozen books for it and trying to like it. I just didn't get there.

I guess the reality is simply that the same things don't inspire a lot of people the same way.

So even though I own a lot of Kalamar materials, including all of the modules, I just don't get that excited by it. It is at the bottom of my priority list for what campaign setting to run next. In fact I would rather re-start my Forgotten Realms campaign before trying to start a Kalamar campaign.

This is despite the fact that I know once I got going with it I and my players would have a lot of fun. I'm the same way with the Scarred Lands setting. Lot of cool stuff, but it just didn't get my creativity fired up like the other settings I mentioned do.

Why? I don't really know. Wish I did.

I've run 4 campaigns in Kalamar, although I've messed with things quite a bit to make it fit the kinds of campaigns I want to run. I highly recommend it because it is a highly detailed world that is well thought out and organized. It has a good support line and the low magic style really gives the PCs a chance to shine once they hit high enough levels. You can actually have a "your heroes are the only ones that can save the world" style campaign because there aren't a dozen Elminister clones sitting around with nothing else to do.

Mark Plemmons

Explorer
Hmmm.... Maybe I should work up some "hooks". How's this one?

Imagine an empire where humans rule, oppressed dwarven slaves struggle under man’s tyranny, and elves wage losing guerilla wars from the forests. This is the Vast - the Kalamaran Empire.

But time weighs heavily upon all, and the empire’s reach is not what it once was. Provinces declare independence, hobgoblin kingdoms thrive and foreign empires expand, while the monsters of the land grow stronger than ever.

Will your heroes save the empire – or destroy it?

buzz

Adventurer
Jakar said:
I agree. There is no way in hell I am going to say some of those names with an Australian accent
I have a hard time even with my American accent. I see the setting name and think about Shalamar eating calamari. I read some of the place names on the maps and simply think: "BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!"

One of my gaming buds back in high school used to come up with character names by slowly sounding out nonsense syllables unitl he got something he liked. "Sto... ster... star... starm... starmolo... Starmoloandabar! Sweet." If I didn't know otherwise, I'd have assumed he worked for Kenzer now.

That's all I got, though. No truly useful criticisms. The setting may very well rock, but I can't get past the names. :)

mara

First Post
Talic said:
The setting istelf is great. The rest of the stuff associated with it didn't thrill me much.

One thing to beware of tho. There are something like 52 common dieties included with the setting. Thats ALOT for the DM to keep track of and even more so for the players, especially if they don't have easy access to the material. So be careful when involving religions, or else use a different pantheon.

There are a lot of deities, but they're the same deities for everyone, so there's no dealing with racial gods with overlapping portfolios. In the race books for the setting, subsets of the main gods are presented as being the most popularly worshipped. If you want to just pick the top seven gods for the most popular concepts (harvest, weather, war, etc) and ignore the rest for the most part, that works to. I'm currently playing around with the idea of bringing different gods together into a cooperative temple like Eberron's Sovereign Host. There's allegedly a religion book in the works, but I'm not holding my breath for it.

I'm a Kalamar fan, though unfortunately I haven't been able to run much in it yet. The main setting book is a difficult read, I prefer to just randomly flip to sections for inspiration than try to read it straight through. I think a new printing of the setting book might be make the setting more attractive, some of the art in is completely nonsensical in relation to the setting. Generally I find the suppliments to be much more enjoyable reads, and Blood and Shadows is my favorite take on the dark elf concept. I buy the books mainly for the fluff. There's the occasional nifty bit of crunch, but I get the feeling that the writers aren't very familiar with D20, at least from a game designer's perspective. The anti-feats in the villian handbook were an attempt to introduce a merit/flaw system, but which ended up rather poorly executed. I think that's the worst example, though.

I'd recommend the setting if you like to tinker a bit. There's plenty of background detail but enough space to find a niche and take off with it. I've had fun with that.

Guntherfuzz8

First Post
This message, which appeared on the Kenzer & Co message boards a few years ago, is probably the best arguement for the merits of the Kingdoms of Kalamar setting ever...

0ghma says:
This questions frequently appears on the boards, so I’m going to take a stab at answering it. Of course, you can always link to Dave Kenzer’s essay, but he’s telling why you should buy his product, and eloquently so. I have no stake in Kalamar financially, so here is my perspective. There are other good opinions on other threads, because of the frequency of this question.

First, however, let me start by telling you a little about me as a DnD gamer. I’ve been playing DnD since 1977. I’ve played a smattering of settings from Greyhawk to Forgotten Realms, not going too far into the more esoteric settings like Maztica, and playing a lot of home-brews both as DM and as a player. I played 1st edition through the publishing of 2nd edition DnD, and jumped to 3e as soon as it came out. I’ve played other RPG’s, notably GURPS, but have generally preferred DnD. As a DM I generally like medium magic campaigns that are more low- than high-fantasy, though I enjoy epic campaigns. (Epic in the sense that the players actiosn can save/destroy the world). I like campaigns that matter.

About a year ago, I started looking for a new setting to play in, having played too much in Greyhawk, and though I like the detail of Forgotten Realms, I’m uncomfortable with the high power/magic level of the NPC’s. I looked around a lot before settling on Kalamar. My review of settings got truncated, though, when I found Kalamar, because I started focusing on it to the exclusion of others.

The first thing I noticed about Kalamar was how it treated the gods and religion. Kalamar gives a pantheon which is worshipped by all races. There are no demi-human gods, so while the pantheon is large, it’s only one pantheon. Many settings give you their pantheon plus a pantheon for each of 5-8 races, sometimes sub-races too. That’s a lot of gods. Kalamar’s creation story is consistent and well-outlined. (I’ll return to consistent and well-outlined, as this is a theme of Kalamar).

Kalamar’s detail on religion is impressive. You get what different cultures call each god, you know how the clergy worship them, you know what gods are allied and opposed, and clerics get abilities which are unique to each god without destroying the cleric class as a whole. It’s consistent and well-outlined.

Next I went on to the setting itself. The setting is detailed without being directive. You are not told how to run the world, you are given the setting as your canvas. Kalamar has the countries, races, history and geography of the world of Tellene well-described and with an internal logic to it that is rare in a published setting. Again, it’s consistent and well-outlined.

Human sub-races are enthologically explained, without giving in-game bonuses to different races. Humans are all the same under the skin. Many human Earth cultures are mirrored, from the Fhokki (northern barbarians) to the Svimohzians (African cultures), which gives a comfort level for many players. It doesn’t get “out-there” with races like genasi and half-celestials. To me this is a good thing. I’d like to decide whether I’m going to allow a race with a higher ECL than one, not be told it’s an integral part of the setting. It allows for psionics without requiring it. (The golden halflings’ favored class is psion, but I house-ruled it in my campaign to be bard because I don’t want psionics).

The geography and the history of Kalamar are so well intertwined you begin to realize how weak other settings are in this respect. Knowledge of how terrain affects culture helps a DM get a grasp on the setting and there are no geographic oddities, such as a desert plunked in the middle of a swamp. If you decide to purchase the Kalamar Atlas, you find it’s even more detailed, with helpful appendices and charts. The world of Telllene makes sense.

The Kalamar Players’ Guide adds classes unique to Kalamar and further details the setting from a players’ perspective. It adds spells and further details how religion is played in Kalamar. It details the Channel Positive Energy feat, which allows a cleric to use a turn attempt to do a deity-specific effect, which I think is very cool. There are prestige classes and more in-depth descriptions of the races.

I am disappointed with some things about Kalamar. There are times when some errors creep in to the published versions that surprise me. They forgot a domains chart for the gods in the Campaign settings book. It was in the text, so you could read each god and find each domain, but there wasn’t a handy chart. The races detailed in the Player’s guide leave out some abilities which appear to be assumed. (Elves’ use of bow and sword, for example.) Many publishers have this problem; it’s not unique to Kenzer. However, this concern is offset by what is perhaps the best part of the Kalamar setting.

The Kenzerco Kalamar boards.

This group of Kalamar users is knowledgeable, friendly, funny, and helpful. They are the best reviewers of Kenzer’s Kalamar products, and they are quick to find inconsistencies. Once found, Kenzer responds amazingly quickly, sometimes within a few minutes. The aforementioned domains list was up within a week of publication. It is an astounding example of a shared love of a setting by the publisher and it’s users. It is as important to me as the quality of the setting. I can post questions about an adventure and be directed to a compiled list of comments by those who have run it, what happened in it, and how they administrated certain events. Rules clarifications and good-natured debate add immeasurable to the enjoyment I get out of the setting.

I chose Kalamar because it’s well-outlined yet not too detailed. It lets me run the campaign I want, and it will let you run the campaign you want, even though they may be different. It’s well-supported, with source books and adventures coming out at least every month. Updates, errata, and revisions are done quickly. Players have input into the publishing process and what their needs as Kalamar users are.

Welcome to Kalamar!

As a personal aside, I've played various systems since D&D's highpoint in the early 80's and have had more fun in the Kalamar setting, both as a player and as a DM, than I ever did in GreyHawk, The Forgotten Realms or any of the dozen or so other game systems I've explored. What follows is my personal opinion on what books really help expand the Kalamar setting, both for players and DM's.
MUST HAVE -
Kalamar Campaign Book
Kalamar Players Guide
Thats it. Two freakin' books and your ready for all the adventures you could ever want or stand. Now if you want additional "flavor", and I do mean flavor as the Kalamar books consistently provide more flavor to the setting than needless "crunch", check out...
The Kalamar Atlas
Dangerous Denizens (Tellene exclusive creatures)
Goods & Gear (the ONLY equipment guide you will ever need for ANY D&D setting!)
Friends & Foe 1&2 (Race books detailing the Gnomes/Kobolds and Elves/Bugbears of Tellene)
Blood & Shadows (Dark Elves done right at last :))
Fury in the Wastelands (Race book for Orcs. Possibily the best book ever written on a "cannon fodder" race)
Strength & Honor (Race book for Hobgoblins. If you like Klingons, you'll love this book)
Villian Design Handbook (Finally a way to create villians who actually make sense!)
Stealth & Style (A guide to the Basarin Dancer and Infiltrator variant classes, chock full of flavor!)
Geanavue, Loona, Abuleok Coast (Three different books detailing cities or regions of the world of Tellene. Any can easily be ported to a different setting and has tons of flavor)
Any of the Kalamar adventures. (Range form so-so to excellent, but always have details which further expand upon the setting)
And the best part for new players is that since Kalamar is often a overlook "jewel in the rough" many game shops offer their products at a discount due to slow sales! So head out and grab some of the best setting avalible today and get bragging rights over your friends by being the one to introduce them to it!

UVTiO2

First Post
Bear with me, folks. I've registered here a long time ago, but never posted. Lurked some, but this is the first time speaking in the public forum. I've been playing Kalamar for D&D3.0/3.5 since 2002. I haven't always had a regular group, but I've always enjoyed the setting. Someone mentioned there isn't a single, defining hook. And I agree. That's what makes it so great. There's no all-encompassing 'war of heroes/gods/dragons/demons/toasters' in which the PCs are but pawns and spectators. There's no outrageous geographical or magical environmental issues that require a whole new set of rules (disclaimer: I LOVED Dark Sun...) And, perhaps most important to me as a DM, a player, and a freelance writer, the publishers of the Kalamar setting will NOT advance the timeline of the setting. That's right, what you read in the Campaign Sourcebook is what the company is devoted to. There will be none of the stuff that killed (for me, anyway) Forgotten Realms or Dragonlance, where something gets published in a future supplement or, worse, a novel, that completely invalidates some aspect of the setting.

In Kalamar, the players are the stars of their own games. There are no uber-NPCs waiting to come in and save the world and steal the spotlight. The PCs don't sit back and watch, or play some peripheral role in a larger story. They ARE the story.

Your games are what you make them--for good or bad. In the hands of a good DM, any setting can be fantastic. In the hands of a mediocre DM, well, we've all see what that can do... In the hands of a bad DM, the experience can turn you off any setting, no matter how great it is.

Wraith101

First Post
UVTiO2 said:
And, perhaps most important to me as a DM, a player, and a freelance writer, the publishers of the Kalamar setting will NOT advance the timeline of the setting. That's right, what you read in the Campaign Sourcebook is what the company is devoted to. There will be none of the stuff that killed (for me, anyway) Forgotten Realms or Dragonlance, where something gets published in a future supplement or, worse, a novel, that completely invalidates some aspect of the setting.

In Kalamar, the players are the stars of their own games. There are no uber-NPCs waiting to come in and save the world and steal the spotlight. The PCs don't sit back and watch, or play some peripheral role in a larger story. They ARE the story.

It is for these reasons I really like Kalamar. Recently I have been exploring other settings but Whenever I dont have an idea for a game. I just open the Campaign Setting and viola. Ideas start jumping out.

I never really understood why people find the CS boring but that's just me!

GrimJesta

First Post
Jakar said:
I really have not found it to be that boring, although I think the FR is one of the most boring settings I have come across. I think it is what you make of it.

Thanks for the thoughts. What do people think of the supplements that have been put out for it? Other than the Atlas, which is damn fine, are any must buys?

Since your players aren't familiar with the setting, you really should get (or have them get) the Players Primer. That book is critical, IMHO. Other books are less critical, but just as good.My top 5 books for Kalamar, besides the core book and Players Primer, are:

(1) The Players Guide
(2) The Villains Design Handbook (just ignore antifeats- that was Wizard's doing, not Kenzer)
(3) Goods and Gear
(4) Strength and Honor: The Hobgoblins of Tellene
(5) Friend and Foe: The Gnomes and Kobolds of Tellene*

I also love the Orc book Fury in the Wastelands*, and let's face it: they finally did Drow that aren't cliched. If you can actually find a copy at your FLAGS, get the sea/pirate book Salt and Sea Dogs. That'd be on my top 5 list, except that it's out of print and thus might be hard to come by. But it's fantastic.

I won't tell you why Kalamar is so good to me. Like any setting, it's all down to preference and opinion. Personally, Kalamar is my favorite game setting to date. I've been gaming for 22 years this year and I haven't found a fantasy setting I liked more.

Back to lurking...

-=Grim=-

*Finally, fleshed out Kobolds and Orcs.

Ragnar69

First Post
The setting is also very rules light and easy to handle. You can play it with D&D, Conan D20 or Iron Heroes without problems.

What I like very much is that important NPCs and the gods don't have stats. If it has stats, it can be killed (or so most players think :\ ). For example, Kabori, emperor of Kalamar. It´s up the GM to give him class, level, alignment and motivation. Is he a benevolent lvl 10 aristocrat who is doing everything for the greater good of his people? Or a lvl 25 fighter with a lust for battle and glory? Or even a fiend in disguise?

Some mentioned the unpronouncabel names. I think they are sort of a boon. You just need to hear the name of a town and you have a good idea in which kingdom it lies.

I also like their adventures. Nothing for the faint harted and with many nice illustrations for the players.

Remove ads