• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Thoughts on Kalamar

Jakar

First Post
Hey there guys.

I am currently thinking of setting up a game based in Kalamar, mainly for the reason that I am the only person in the group that really knows anything about it, so it will be a "virgin" setting for the guys.

What are people's thoughts on this setting?

scourger

Explorer
I only played it once. The setting seems very interesting. I especially like the half-hobgoblin angle. It's a little something that sets the setting apart. I also think you would benefit from being the only one to know the setting. The game has enough preconceptions as it is without universal setting knowledge getting in the way, too. Good luck.

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
It's a nice epic fantasy setting.

Can't say much good/bad about it except that it's detailed, it has a high hobgoblin quotient (good!) and it wasn't different enough from Oerth/Mystara/Toril for me to want to include it in my Spelljammer campaign, even when the setting book was available dirt cheap.

If you want a close to core D&D setting that the players aren't familiar with, go for it.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
mhensley said:
Sorry, but I fell asleep trying to read the book. Looks nice, but zzzzzzzzzzzz....
I like the detail, I even like the writing. It seems like a consitent, believable world.

There are a lot of things about it that I like, but it does not leap out and grab me, despite there being some really good supplements for it. (The Atlas is very nice indeed. All by its lonesome it makes me want to like the world.)

For the right person I can see it being just the right world.

The Auld Grump

DM_Jeff

Explorer
You're getting into it the same reason I did, to spring a new world on a bunch of olt-time jaded players.

It turned everything around and made the game fun again. Highly recommended. Detail, from consistency to maps and topography to logic and NPC/nation relations is outstanding.

-DM Jeff

Jakar

First Post
I really have not found it to be that boring, although I think the FR is one of the most boring settings I have come across. I think it is what you make of it.

Thanks for the thoughts. What do people think of the supplements that have been put out for it? Other than the Atlas, which is damn fine, are any must buys?

Crothian

First Post
Jakar said:
Thanks for the thoughts. What do people think of the supplements that have been put out for it? Other than the Atlas, which is damn fine, are any must buys?

None are a must buy, but some are just really good. I like the monster book a lot; Dangerious Denizens. I also really like the city book begins with a G can't recall the name right now.

Remove ads