• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Thoughts on the D&D Starter Set (Spoilers!)

Sally4th

First Post
I've just picked up this starter set to get back into playing D&D again after a lapse of 25 years or so. I last played 1st edition at college! I'll keep you posted as I get back into the swing of things!

Rabbitbait

Grog-nerd
I've just picked up this starter set to get back into playing D&D again after a lapse of 25 years or so. I last played 1st edition at college! I'll keep you posted as I get back into the swing of things!

Please do. I've heard from lots of people running new players through the adventure, but I don't think I've heard what it is like for a new DM. I hope you don't mind me calling you that, but after a 25 year hiatus I imagine that you will be learning it all as if it were the first time.

darjr

I crit!
I still use the starter set. Just ran the dungeon at the end as an impromptu game at a local con. Also the rule book has been a huge boon for new players which lately have been in great numbers. It's very nice to be able to hand it to new folks at a con as a reference at the table as well.

Sally4th

First Post
Well, first session of campaign is scheduled in for a week on Sunday so I will report back after we have played. Out of interest how far would you expect new players and DM to get in a Sunday afternoon session?

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
Lost Mine of Phandelver, probably the best starter module I've ever DM'ed. This module alone is a reason to buy the Starter Box even if you dont have starter characters. Brilliant.

Patrick McGill

First Post
Yeah the adventure, so far, is my favorite released by WotC for 5th edition. I hope the positive feedback has steered the course for future adventures.

neobolts

Explorer
For veteran players this is a Starter Set worth owning, just for the top notch Lost Mines of Phandelver module. It's a great module in general, and IMO the best official module for new players. The one weak spot is the potentially lethal opening encounter. However, the lethality of levels 1-3 in 5e is high no matter what you run, so expect the usual DM fudging when the monsters won't stop rolling 20s.

Like [MENTION=6801068]Sally4th[/MENTION] I came back to D&D (and RPGs in general) thanks to 5e, and hadn't DM'd in, oh, 20+ years.
I found LMOP to be great, I winged it a bit at first but the set up is strong enough to give you background to develop as you see fit without being too prescriptive.
Our first session of the adventure took the characters through the ambush and into the fight with Klarg, and in about 3 hours they found themselves rumbling down to Phandelver with cart and Sildar.

Remove ads