• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Thoughts on the Resilient Feat

Grognerd

Explorer
So I was thinking about it today...

Every four levels or so (more depending on class), characters have the opportunity to either take a +2 to one stat, a +1 to two stats, or a Feat. One of those Feats is Resilient, which offers proficiency in a Saving Throw, and a +1 to that same stat.

So basically you could say you have the option to take +1 & a Save, or +1 and +1. So here's the questions:
Who thinks it would be unbalanced for a feat - let's call it Steadfast for now - to offer proficiency in two Saving Throws with no increase in stats?

My initial inclination is to think that it seems more powerful than Resilient, even though theoretically it is the same level of gain. But, of course, seems is the operative word.

Further, if it was indeed too much more powerful than Resilient, what sorts of balancing aspects could be formed? My initial thoughts on this would lean to 1) preventing characters from taking both Resilient and Steadfast, and 2) forcing the character to choose one physical (S, D, C) and one mental (I, W, Ch) save rather than allowing them two saves from either one category. So something like this:

Steadfast
Choose two ability scores, one from either Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution; and one from either Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma. You gain proficiency in saving throws using the two abilities chosen. Steadfast cannot be taken if you have already taken the Resilient feat. Also, you cannot take the Resilient feat after taking Steadfast.

Thoughts?

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Resilient is already a very good feat. I thought this would have been a thread on how Resilient erases class identity by partially removing saving throw weaknesses. Having 2 proficiencies does that wholly.

Splitting them into physical and mental is not the way to go. You need to split them into primary and secondary.

The primary saving throws: Dex, Con, Wis - secondary: Str, Int, Cha

That feat might actually even be better balanced than the original Resilient as a +1 is better than a secondary saving throw.

I'd think just letting people take Resilient more then once would be less unbalancing.

I don't think so. I think the resilient feat itself is unbalanced due to good and bad saving throws and a way to get a saving throw if your stat is already even would be appreciated.

Satyrn

First Post
I think it is ok if you geoup them differently. One of Dex, Con or Wis and one of cha, int or str. One common and one uncommon savkng throw.

I'd go with this . . . and drop this clause: "Steadfast cannot be taken if you have already taken the Resilient feat. Also, you cannot take the Resilient feat after taking Steadfast."

Grognerd

Explorer
Resilient is already a very good feat. I thought this would have been a thread on how Resilient erases class identity by partially removing saving throw weaknesses. Having 2 proficiencies does that wholly.

I couldn't disagree more. I don't think that having Saving Throws removes class identity in any way. Class identity is better established with the Class Features than with the class's base saving throws. By this logic, the Monk completely removes class identity at 14th level! But when you have, for example, a Fighter and a Barbarian that both have the same Saves (STR/CON), and can see clear class distinctions between them, it rather goes against the claim that allowing Feats to give more saves removes class distinctions.

Splitting them into physical and mental is not the way to go. You need to split them into primary and secondary.
This is a consideration for how to modify it. Thanks.

I'd think just letting people take Resilient more then once would be less unbalancing.
Chances are this is the route I'll go.

Remove ads