• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Threat on an AC > 20

Miginath

First Post
Let's say my character has a longsword. It's threat range is normally 19-20. Now I attack a creature with an AC of 30. My combined result (d20+Base of 6+Str of 2) equals 27. A threat! I roll again and only get a result of 16 so it is not a critical. Now to roll damage...

But wait. I missed the creatures AC by five points. Does that mean that my threat is nullified? Do I have to actually hit its AC in order to do damage?

This question becomes even more confusing for me when you start adding in improved critical and keen edged weapons.

Last edited:

Don21584

First Post
For something to threat crit, you have to roll a natural 20, or a 19 or 20 with a long sword. You don't add your modifiers to that, otherwise a level 20 fighter would crit every single time.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
You can't get a critical if you miss. If you rolled a natural 19 for your longsword, but your total with bonuses still doesn't hit the monster, then you do no damage.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
A natural 19 is not an automatic hit, even with a longsword. If you miss the AC you just miss, except on a natural 20 (only).

Cl1mh4224rd

First Post
CRGreathouse said:
A natural 19 is not an automatic hit, even with a longsword. If you miss the AC you just miss, except on a natural 20 (only).

whoa... [ rereads the appropriate section ] you learn something new everyday. :eek:

Last edited:

Valicor

First Post
Archer said:
And if that natural 20 would not be sufficient to hit then you do not threaten a critical.

Natural 20's are automatic hits, so they wil always be a critical, provided the second roll is a hit.

kreynolds

First Post
Archer said:
And if that natural 20 would not be sufficient to hit then you do not threaten a critical.

Say what?!? :eek: Oh. You must be referring to the variant rule of rolling a nat 20 on an attack. At least I hope that's what you're referring to, for your sake. ;)

Last edited:

Remove ads