• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Thrilling Pulp Adventures! [M&M]

Elfy

First Post
Rocket Girl

(Think 'Commander Cody' or 'The Rocketeer' - a 'rocket' pack, helmet, some form of weaponry such as a raygun)

Could the PL be 6 instead of 5? I think that's what Nocturnals recommends for these types of games and I feel that Flight 6 would be better for her Rocketpack than Flight 5.

Last edited:

Retro-Rocket

First Post
Elfy said:
Rocket Girl

(Think 'Commander Cody' or 'The Rocketeer' - a 'rocket' pack, helmet, some form of weaponry such as a raygun)

Could the PL be 6 instead of 5? I think that's what Nocturnals recommends for these types of games and I feel that Flight 6 would be better for her Rocketpack than Flight 5.

Hi Elfy,

As for a "rocket" pack, hummm it would be ok. Though a raygun just would not fit the setting of the game. Think Doc Savage, The Shadow, Indiana Jones, Fu Manchu, The Phantom, etc. While there will be some weird science and strange occult things going on in the game, I don't want the game to devolve into a Super Hero type game. And just having a rocket pack will be a big deal. Where did you get it? Did you build it yourself? Can you repair it? Is the government after it?

After I have thought about it, a Rocketeer like character could work. She will need to be able to function without the rocket pack though. :)

I am going to stick with PL 5 but I will allow some small bending of the power level limits. If you want to have Flight 6, I don't see why not! ;)

Last edited:

Elfy

First Post
Well, Sky Captain uses a Ray Pistol in 'Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow', but I can understand if in your specific setting you want to remove the more exotic pulp elements...I guess.

Karl Green

First Post
OK first character idea...

Professor Joseph Stormcrow; PL5; Concept: Shaman/Scholar; SEX: male; SZ: Md; INIT: +2 (dex); DEF 16*/13 (Mental 16); SPD: 30ft; Melee +5 (unarmed +2S) Range +5 (revolver +4L); SV: Dmg: +4, Fort: +2, Reflex: +2, Will: +3; STR 14, DEX 14, CON 14, INT 16, WIS 16, CHA 14
SKILLS: Knowledge (History) 4/+7, (Occult) 4/+7, Riding 2/+4, Sense Motive 2/+5
FEATS: Detect (spiritual/mystical phenomena), Dodge*, Expertise, Toughness
POWERS: Amazing Save: Will +4 (source: Training; total: 4pp), ESP +5 (source: Mystical; flaw: Slow (full round); total: 5pp)
EQUIPMENT: Gadgets +5 (source: Mystical; total: 5pp), Weapon +4L (source: Webley Mark IV .38 S&W caliber; range increment: 40ft; extra: Ghost Touch; flaw: Magazine (6 cylinder); total: 4pp)

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/pr3642.htm

this character is based loosely on the character found in the Nocturnals books
He has specially made bullets that can affect the 'spirit' world. His gadgets are various magical talismans, charms, and similar at his disposal.

Question: Do you allow the partial Weakness from the Annual? I can see this character having a MINOR weakness but not a full 10 point one. (I was looking at "Lost one eye, -1 extra to range attack for each Range Increment) but I don't think that is worth 10pt.) If not that is cool I will just leave him as is…

Last edited:

Karl Green

First Post
ok second idea :)

Doc Z (Doctor Hector Zhane); PL5; Concept: Action-Hero Scientist; SEX: male; SZ: Md; INIT: +2 (dex); DEF 15/13 (Mental 16); SPD: 30ft; Melee +5 (unarmed +4S) Range +5 (auto-pistol +4L); SV: Dmg: +4, Fort: +2, Reflex: +2, Will: +4; STR 14, DEX 14, CON 14, INT 16, WIS 14, CHA 14 (26+15)
SKILLS: Acrobatics 1/+3, Craft (super-vehicles) 5/+10 (super-weapons) 5/+10, Demolitions 1/+6, Disable Device 2/+4, Open Locks 1/+3, Sciences (super-science) 3/+8
FEATS: Headquarters (Zeppelin), Multrishot, Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot
POWERS: Amazing Save: Damage +2 (source: Training; extra: Amazing Save: Will, Strike, Super-Intelligence; total: 8pp)
EQUIPMENT: Gadgets +5 (source: Super-science; total: 5pp), Weapon +4L (source: "Zipper Gun"; range increment: 40ft; extra: Autofire; flaw: Magazine (20 clip); total: 4pp)

so his Headquarters is a Zeppelin, and I am wonder should I buy this as a power also to get movement? It is not going to be great or anything BUT if I can purchase the movement as one of the features of the headquarters that would be total cool also. His pistol (the 'Zipper Gun' is a heavy pistol with a drum ammo clip on the side. Thoughts? ;)

Argent Silvermage

First Post
Oh Please letr there be a space left! This sounds like great fun. I even was working on a street level hero a while back. I'll have to drag him out of moth balls.

Argent Silvermage

First Post
I'm thinking along the lines of a combo of Doc Savage and the Phantom of the Opera.

Super scientist that was horribly scarred and now wears a mask to hide his face. Possibly has an exoskeletion making him a poor man's Iron Man.

Last edited:

Retro-Rocket

First Post
Ok where to begin....

Karl,
-Cool characters. I really like the idea of a zeppelin headquarters. You could just have flight as one of it's headquarter features. The hanger feature would be very cool. You could also build it like a vehicle and that way you could customize it more but that would be more expensive.
-The magazine flaw is nice though it makes a +4 revolver and a +4 submachine gun with the autofire extra cost the same amount. What do you think of the idea of making the magazine flaw a requirement of guns but it would not count towards reducing the cost of the weapon?
-Professor Stormcrow is a bit of a puzzle for me. Nothing with the character. But I was not planning on having any supernatural things such as spirits in the game. So having detect supernatural and ghost touch with his pistol kind of makes those powers useless. Though that does not mean that I would not add them to the game if you wanted to run him. I was hoping to run a more action adventure type pulp game with some wierd stuff mixed in.

Argent,
- Yet another super scientist! I have nothing against that! A Doc Savage/Phantom of the Opera mix is very interesting. In fact your character would make a great villian for the game. ;) Though I don't know about the a exoskeleton suit idea though. Sounds too comic bookish.

Elfy,
-I am sorry if stepped on your idea. I really liked Sky Captain too and it was one of the reasons that I wanted to run a game like this. Build your character and lets see how it works ok. I am open to suggestions.

There are alot of sub-genres to the type of Pulp game that I am going for. Crime/Mystery, Exploration/Adventure, Military Combat, etc.... So the types of characters you build are going to have a big impact on the type of game. I had orginally wanted to do a action/adventure game something like Doc Savage or The Shadow. But if I get a ton of high flying aces of the air then I need to adjust my game accordingly. :)

Here is another cool Pulp cover.

detTales_L02.jpg

Last edited:

Argent Silvermage

First Post
I changed the idea about an hour ago.
The character name is Aaron "Piper" Hamlin.

Aaron's parents were poor who lost everything. they sold Aaron to a man who experimented on him. The experiments were on forced evolution. The scientist was trying to create a "soldier" who could survive prolonged exposure to toxins like Mustard Gass and disease.

What he got was a young man with an immunity to those things and a new branch of evolution for man kind.

Aaron is a "rat-man" for lack of better terminology. he looks normal enough but he has retractable claws and enhanced strength. highly adaptable he also seems to have limited Telepathic abilities. (He can control vermin) He's the Aquaman of the sewers.

Karl Green

First Post
Well weapons only cost 1pp/level, so it is no big deal. You can make it a automatic flaw if you want, I will build it either way... BUT it makes Knifes better then guns (cause if I don't have a "uses" sort of flaw, that's all)

NOTE if you are not going for much/any supernatural then I would go move for Doc Z but if there are already 3 sort of super-scientist I might work up something else. Maybe an Western who learned the secrets of the Orient

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads