• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Thrilling Pulp Adventures! [M&M]

Elfy

First Post
So to clairify, you weren't meaning the full pulp spectrum, but rather a narrow part of the spectrum consisting of crime-mystery, action-adventure, and military action stories, with nearly all of the fantastical elements removed. Hmmmm...basically gun-totting, whip wielding types.

When the fantastical and exotic elements are removed, pulp is basically just a 'modern' game stuck in the 1930's timelime with 1930's values - practically a historical game without what most modern people would consider to be the pulp elements. Hmmm...I guess I'll skip this one then. Thank you for running a pulp inspired game though - not many people think to run such games.

Retro-Rocket

First Post
Karl Green said:
Well weapons only cost 1pp/level, so it is no big deal. You can make it a automatic flaw if you want, I will build it either way... BUT it makes Knifes better then guns (cause if I don't have a "uses" sort of flaw, that's all)

NOTE if you are not going for much/any supernatural then I would go move for Doc Z but if there are already 3 sort of super-scientist I might work up something else. Maybe an Western who learned the secrets of the Orient

Kung Fu Cowboy? LOL! When I saw Western and Orient that was the first thing that popped in my head. Looks like we are down one super-scientist so Doc Z looks good.

As for the weapons, keep the magazine flaw for now.

Retro-Rocket

First Post
Elfy said:
So to clairify, you weren't meaning the full pulp spectrum, but rather a narrow part of the spectrum consisting of crime-mystery, action-adventure, and military action stories, with nearly all of the fantastical elements removed. Hmmmm...basically gun-totting, whip wielding types.

When the fantastical and exotic elements are removed, pulp is basically just a 'modern' game stuck in the 1930's timelime with 1930's values - practically a historical game without what most modern people would consider to be the pulp elements. Hmmm...I guess I'll skip this one then. Thank you for running a pulp inspired game though - not many people think to run such games.

Now I didn't say that I wanted to remove all fantastical elements from the game. But thank you for your interest.

Boy this is going over like a lead balloon!

Karl Green

First Post
hehehe remember EVERYONE'S idea of Pulp is a bit different, depending on what or who is writting it ;)

Updated... he is carrying two-pistols and has Ambidexterity so he can carry a pistol in each hand but he normally does not fire with both of them... later will invest XP in getting Two-Weapon fighting...

Jack O'Lantern (Jack Spencer); PL5; Concept: Avenging Mystic; SEX: male; SZ: Md; INIT: +4 (dex); DEF 18*/13 (Mental 15); SPD: 30ft; Melee +5 (unarmed +1S) Range +8 or +4/+4 (auto-pistol +3L); SV: Dmg: +2, Fort: +2, Reflex: +8, Will: +6; STR 12, DEX 18, CON 14, INT 12, WIS 14, CHA 14
SKILLS: Acrobatics 5/+9, Balance +6, Intimidate 4/+10, Jump +5, Move Silent 2/+6, Speak Language (Japanese)
FEATS: Ambidexterity, Dodge*, Evasion, Instant Change (to Jack O'Lantern), Point Blank Shot, Startle, Surprise Strike
POWERS: Amazing Save: Reflex +4 (source: Psychic Training; extra: Amazing Save: Will, Invisibility, Super-Charisma, Intimidating Presence [DC16]; total: 20pp)
EQUIPMENT: Weapon +3L (source: Inglis Canadian HP 9mm pistol; range increment: 30ft; extra: extra Inglis Pistol; flaw: Magazine (12 clip); total: 3pp)
WEAKNESS: Transformation (at night, will change into the Jack O'Lantern; -10pt)

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/pr3811.htm

Jack O'Lantern looks like a very spooky, dark figure, with a dark and twisted face, that seems to almost glow (with an eiry orange light) concealed by a black silk scarf and fedora. He also wears a black trench coat and gloves. He carryings twin Inglis Pistols (does not fire them at the same time)

Basic back-story: Jack Spencer was an American working in Japan in the 1920's for various British companies that operated there. He dealt with Opium dealers and Silk traders and even the occasional slavers. He never liked these people and one day, he met an old man on some lonely road who asked him what he wanted most in life, to which Jack said "I wish I had the courage to stop the people that I work with… that I could stop those in power and make them afraid like they make all their victims… but I am part of the problem, not any kind of solution." Of course the old man showed Jack just want he could do… either years later he has returned to the States and to help clean up crime here.

Last edited:

Argent Silvermage

First Post
Karl... Jack is very cool.

Idea number 3
The Black Hound.

Ian Ulster is a man with a terrible gift or curse he's not sure what it is. He can see if someone will be murdered within the next 24 hours. He comes from a long line of irish policemen who have all had this gift.

Ian is a private detective by trade and an occult investigator by reputation. He dons his black long coat and executioner's hood when he's hunting those who would kill the innocent.

His "power" is the detect feat all he knows is that the person will be murdered within 24 hours and the general time they will die. nothing more.
He will be very skill based with a possibility of a few "powers" at very low levels. (thinking instant change as an illusion of normalcy even when in costume. Possible illusion powers) Basicly he has the blood of the Shea and a connection to the land of the Fae.

Radiant

First Post
hurray, pulp :)
Still got a place? thinkinb about a stuck up european buisnessman who picks up his sowrd and mask by night to do justice. Not sure about name and powers yet but he absolutly has to fight in one of those good old Zorro style masks, a tuxedo and of course his t-hat.

Retro-Rocket

First Post
Radiant said:
hurray, pulp :)
Still got a place? thinkinb about a stuck up european buisnessman who picks up his sowrd and mask by night to do justice. Not sure about name and powers yet but he absolutly has to fight in one of those good old Zorro style masks, a tuxedo and of course his t-hat.

Welcome Radiant, sure you can have a place. I really like your character idea. He should fit perfectly.

Karl and Argent,
Do you want me to pick one of your character ideas that I think would fit in the game? I really like the idea's you two are coming up with. Way Cool!

Last edited:

DocHazard

First Post
I NEED to play in this game. I freaking LOVE Pulp! Hell, I have a half done Pulp Superlink project sitting on my desk!

I was thinking of either a Shadow-esque type guy (that looks like it may be taken) or a Tarzan homage.

DocH

Last edited:

Karl Green

First Post
I'll go with Jack O'Lantern...

Now one Question is will you allow the 'Magazine' Flaw to give points or is it auotmatic for Firearms? I don't mind either way really, just if it is worth a flaw I will carry two pistols, if not I carry one ;)

Remove ads