• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Through Darkness, Light ("the plethora of prospective permutations")

Arador

First Post
"I understand your concerns, Kel. Mayhaps it would be wisest to send out the Akashic - no doubt he would be able to use the World Memory and sneak into and out of any potential ambush. Meanwhile, we can wait outside the grove, and formulate our stratagy based upon his report."

Maedril pauses, and then continues.

"And perhaps it might be wisest to attack now - most of our party has excellent vision in the dark compared to humans, and most others. We should ask the woman if she could identify the race of the attackers."

He scanned the other's faces.

"And whatever we do, we should do it quickly. Bandits are low on my list of concerns."

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Kelsis the Bright-Eyed, Female Sibeccai Akashic 1

Arador said:
"I understand your concerns, Kel. Mayhaps it would be wisest to send out the Akashic - no doubt he would be able to use the World Memory and sneak into and out of any potential ambush. Meanwhile, we can wait outside the grove, and formulate our stratagy based upon his report."
"She might be willing to do so, but we have no way of knowing where and how they lair, and a great deal can go wrong with a lone stalk. I can look, of course, but a more direct approach, albeit with a bit more caution, might resolve this more swiftly."

"And perhaps it might be wisest to attack now - most of our party has excellent vision in the dark compared to humans, and most others. We should ask the woman if she could identify the race of the attackers."
"This I favor. Rare is the bandit that considers he may be raided in turn when comfortable in his home. Surprise would be on our side."

"And whatever we do, we should do it quickly. Bandits are low on my list of concerns."
"That's the best thing you've said yet today," she says with a small smile.

Last edited:

Erekose13

Explorer
Chenroeth, male litorian mage blade 1

Earlier while everyone is questioning the old woman, Chenroeth adds as an aside, "This sounds like the beginning of a great story." He stands a bit away from the rest who are crowded around the old lady posing questions. His three axes and armor obviously offended those guards, but their remarks were none too kind. He will remember them.

As Maedril pulls the others aside, Chenroeth joins the huddle. "I agree, strike now and strike quick while they are not expecting it. With this festival on, petty thieves like this think they can get away with anything because the law men are too busy."

dead_radish

Explorer
Aelin shrugs quietly, not really speaking up. He watches the discussions, and joins the others while they plan. After everyone else seems to have spoken, he pipes up. "I would agree - the night is a fortuitous blanket for our plans. I myself am fairly skilled in the obfuscatory arts, and would be somewhat able to find my way in without raising an alarm. If we could but wait for an hour as well, I could prepare myself for a scuffle, as well as grant one among us great olfactory powers that might serve to locate the culprits."

Aernoeth

First Post
Aernoeth Swiftblade level 1 Quickling Unfettered

[OOC: too ... many ... colours ... :p ]

"Ahh, but who says you have to be alone, Kelsie?" Aernoeth said slyly from right behind the Akashic's ear. He knew how much she liked the nickname, too ...

"No bandit's got the eyes to see me when I don't want to be seen!" Aernoeth continues. The Quickling's boasts were nothing new to the group, but they always had some basis in truth. He *was* very sneaky.

"Besides," he whispers, "the old crone said there were other bags. Be nice to get some coin." Aernoeth's eyes twinkle.

Murphy's Law

First Post
Kel, Male Sibbecai Snake Totem Warrior 1

"Well, I think were are all in agreement, we start our investigation tonight, and use the darkness to our advantage. Shall we tell the lady that we will help her and then move out?"

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Kelsis the Bright-Eyed, Female Sibeccai Akashic 1

Aernoeth said:
"Ahh, but who says you have to be alone, Kelsie?" Aernoeth said slyly from right behind the Akashic's ear. He knew how much she liked the nickname, too ...

"No bandit's got the eyes to see me when I don't want to be seen!" Aernoeth continues. The Quickling's boasts were nothing new to the group, but they always had some basis in truth. He *was* very sneaky.

"Besides," he whispers, "the old crone said there were other bags. Be nice to get some coin." Aernoeth's eyes twinkle.
*Kelsis grits her teeth together to prevent herself from saying something scathing, and aims a half-hearted swat at the cheeky faen, which he easily dodges.*

"Yes, of course Aernoeth. You may take point, with your keen eyes and excellent covert skills. I'll cover you," she says, reminding him of the one time she had to bail him out of a fight... in a tavern... when he was trying to sneak out of a bedroon.

*Aelin spouts of his usual scholarly jargon, but Kelsis realizes he's actually making sense this time. She's not entirely certain about his sneaking skills, but his small size would make up for lack of experience.*

"I believe we can spare an hour Aelin. If you can concentrate while riding, we can travel closer to the site while you ride on my mule."

Liminal Syzygy

Community Supporter
Aoe-Narara, Female Giant Warmain 1

Aoe-Narara thinks deeply and then nods.

"I believe the woman's story, and I agree we should do our best to take care of these bandits. First, banditry is a blight on the land, those taking advantage of the weak cannot be tolerated. Secondly, the local authorities are obviously busy with other matters, but we may be well positioned to take care of this problem. Thirdly, bringing them in as prisoners may earn us the respect and cooperation of the authorities. Finally, facing these bandits is an excellent opportunity for us to sharpen our fighting skills and cohesion as a team, which, I'm sorry to say, is lacking.

This vague plan you have to sneak up on them is a good start, but we need to work out the details and contingencies. Are we sneaking up together as a team or is the idea to send a small detachment of scouts who will return with information on the bandits? I am concerned to hear that we will likely be outnumbered, but I suspect that most of these bandits will not possess much skill or training, thus why they choose prey on the weak. Nevertheless, we should confirm their capabilities before entering battle. To do otherwise is a recipe for disaster."

Attachments

• giantwarmain_color.jpg
    giantwarmain_color.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 203

Aernoeth

First Post
Aernoeth Swiftblade level 1 Quickling Unfettered

"We can't sneak together as a team!' Aernoeth responds to the Giant. "Only the sneaky are sneaky ... right?"

"Let's give these bandits a taste of their own. Lure them into an ambush! If they're cautious and split their numbers, so much the better," Aernoeth says. The Quickling goes on to describe a very simple plan where he and Kelsis get close to the bandit group, and then lure the ruffians away, right towards where the others are waiting.

Arador

First Post
Maedril rubs his palm along the hilt of his sword.

"Sounds like a plan. Whatever we do, we will need to be closer. Let us tell the woman we will do as she asks, and start walking towards where she was ambushed. We can plan as we walk, no?"

He starts, slowly, moving towards the path to the ambush site.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads