Tidbits from PHB Viewing

Gloombunny

First Post
thalmin said:
Either DEX or INT can affect REFLEX. Each of the "Saves" is modified by the better of 2 stats. Also, Stat mods affect skills.
But Dex also influences initiative and some ranged weapons, right? And the Dex skills are kinda sexier. It seems like if Int doesn't have anything else going for it, anyone who doesn't have class abilities based on Int would be better off with Dex. Not to mention the classes that have abilities based on Dex, who will have next to no reason to be smart. :(

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I must admit to not looking at the abilities chapter other than Generation. We may see something more on thorough reading.

Protagonist

First Post
Maybe quite a few feats / powers / epic destiny abilities / paragon path features for non-int-based classes will benefit from a high int? This would make int a more "viable" choice from a crunch point for non-int-based classes.

Personally, I don't care if int ends up being less usefull than dex.

I am fortunate enough to play with a group that in 3.5 still decides do play half-elves because they want to and my players still (to a degree) invest in "dump stats" if they want to roleplay their characters that way.

invokethehojo

First Post
TheLordWinter said:
I believe what people are complaining about is the lack of a sort of "passive" use for intelligence. Strength modifies to hit and damage rolls with melee weapons, dexterity modifies ranged weapons, constitution gets both the entire score added to your hit points and modifies your healing surges, etc.

Intelligence used to be sort of the odd-ball out amongst the mental stats, since it would modify something (2nd ed. had Wisdom modifying your saving throws against mental effects and charisma determining followers, whilst 3rd edition cut any passive effects of Charisma and Wisdom adjusted your will save).

Intelligence meanwhile has always had some effect, but if we're moving back towards a model closer to earlier editions, I wouldn't be surprised if Intelligence only effected several skills and your languages known.

At this point it looks like wizards (a to a much lesser extent the Warlord) are the only ones who benefit from intelligence. Hopefully as time passes more classes will use it.

Last edition intelligence got front chair (of the mentals), this edition I think that title now goes to Charisma.

phil500

First Post
Bestopheles said:
Well, it's 650gp to learn the spell and a 500gp reagent to cast...so at over 1k gold a cast a low levels, it's already pretty damn expensive....plus you get the rez penalty. :)

Of course, you can always just houserule it different.

can any class learn it?

Andor

First Post
Moon-Lancer said:
The days of wizards with a trillion skill points are over... thank Merlin's beard.

Yeah! 'cause God forbid that a class associated with wisdom, lore and learning might actually, y'know, know stuff....

Cirex

First Post
Andor said:
Yeah! 'cause God forbid that a class associated with wisdom, lore and learning might actually, y'know, know stuff....

Clerics of knowledge God or similars didn't have so many skill points (INT was not a main stat)...and both classes could be considered "erudites".

Bestopheles

First Post
pukunui said:
Yeah. I got the impression that the penalty didn't apply in the Heroic level because he said it was "'free' except for the reagent cost". I'm wondering if that could be clarified at all? What makes raise dead "free" for the Heroic Tier? Or rather, what makes it not free for the higher tiers? Are there are other requirements besides the cost that have to be met before it works? And can it be confirmed that this -1 penalty for 6 encounters (almost a whole level's worth of encounters, if we go by the 10 encounters = 1 level model) applies to raise dead at all tiers?

This.

I was skimming the rituals because I only had a couple of minutes, but I think the - penalty always applies. I'm sure about the GP costs, but I was rushing a bit through the penalty stuff.

Bestopheles

First Post
Fallen Seraph said:
Did you see what the actual mechanics of using a Ritual were?

Yeah, the "main" person starting a ritual must have the ritual caster feat (which wizards and clerics get for free). As far as I can tell ANYONE can assist after that though...it specifically mentions that other players helping (the ritual assistants I think it called them) can contribute to the casting of the ritual by helping with skill checks or spending healing surges if the ritual requires them. So again, they're trying to make it more of a team effort.

I can't remember if they said this or not in the magic item preview, but the disenchant ritual costs gold to cast and gives you enough "residium" for an item 5 levels lower then the party.

There are lots of the old spell lists coming back as rituals. And you can have level one rituals...Animal Messenger was level 1 I believe (numbers on this may be a bit off, again I was rushing) 50 gold to learn and 35 gold to cast...you can whisper a few words to random small harmless woodland creature and they'll take your message somewhere in range.

Remove ads