Tidbits from PHB Viewing

frankthedm

First Post
mach1.9pants said:
And 4E gnomes are whisper gnomes...great! No more stupid red hats
Someone else is wearing those now...

83041.jpg

Oh, and another interesting/weird feature....there is an easy to cast ritual that clears 1 status ailment (curse, disease, etc) each time it's cast, but with a catch. You make a heal check, and your result ='s how much dmg the TARGET sick player takes while being healed. SO, a low roll can kill outright, or can do dmg. A high roll causes very little dmg.
And here I thought discount chirurgery was more a WFRP thing! :cool: very sweet.
Bestopheles said:
Not to be a smart ass, but it's "Monsters from the stars." One ability throws the person into "A dark and twisted area of space", for 7d10 dmg (and this could be off, I didn't write it down) where they float for a bit then fall down "mad"...considering everyone there enemy. They take Opportunity Attacks on everyone, and consider everyone an enemy.
I'd be in a foul mood too if i just got Hentacled for 7-70 damage! ;)
Bestopheles said:
I honestly got a psudonatural flavor...not in the "weird tentacle" way, but in the "things man was not meant to know kind of way."
Tentacles just get used a lot since they are more unnatural compared to the bony limbs of sentients.

Last edited:

frankthedm said:
Someone else is wearing those now....
Nope cos that is not a stupid red hat.
And I maligned Races of Stone, it is actually the images and fluff in Dragon #291 gnomes artiicle. There was even a [censored] side bar on pointy hats.....
The size of a gnomes pointy hat directly relates to his education...A gnome that cannot afford a magic pointy hat (FFS :rolleyes: ) often opt for a masterwork pointy hat (arrrghhh!!)....typically grants a +2 bonus to all diplomacy checks made with other gnomes(YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!)...A gnome caught wearing an inappropriate hat faces expulsion from his school...

Definitely the worst races write up that I have ever seen :vomit copiously:

Jack99

Adventurer
pukunui said:
Surprised about what? The lack of metallic dragons? If so, you're a bit behind on the scoops then, mate. ;)

Not really. All we had was the word of one playtester (massawyrm or whatnot), and we have known all along that not all playtesters had all of the rules. It was quite possible that he just hadn't gotten the metallic dragons.

Either way, no biggie. Only metallic dragon planned in my world so far is S'Crado, tyrant-fisted (clawed) ruler of the Nerathian Empire (which still stands) for more than a millennium, and gold dragon par excellence. I doubt I will need his stats any time soon :)

Cheers

pukunui

Legend
Jack99 said:
Not really. All we had was the word of one playtester (massawyrm or whatnot), and we have known all along that not all playtesters had all of the rules. It was quite possible that he just hadn't gotten the metallic dragons.
Yes, that's what I had been thinking too considering that WotC started out saying that "all but one" of the Dungeons of Dread minis would be in the first MM but then changed that statement after the new year to say that "all of them" would be. Looks like someone screwed up somewhere. Either that or the metallics yo-yoed in and out of the MM until they were finally left out for good.

Last edited:

Moon-Lancer

First Post
UngeheuerLich said:
I am seriously annoyed if int has no influence on anything... (and if its just the number of languages you have/can learn)

The days of wizards with a trillion skill points are over... thank Merlin's beard.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
UngeheuerLich said:
I am seriously annoyed if int has no influence on anything... (and if its just the number of languages you have/can learn)
Either DEX or INT can affect REFLEX. Each of the "Saves" is modified by the better of 2 stats. Also, Stat mods affect skills.

TheLordWinter

First Post
thalmin said:
Either DEX or INT can affect REFLEX. Each of the "Saves" is modified by the better of 2 stats. Also, Stat mods affect skills.

I believe what people are complaining about is the lack of a sort of "passive" use for intelligence. Strength modifies to hit and damage rolls with melee weapons, dexterity modifies ranged weapons, constitution gets both the entire score added to your hit points and modifies your healing surges, etc.

Intelligence used to be sort of the odd-ball out amongst the mental stats, since it would modify something (2nd ed. had Wisdom modifying your saving throws against mental effects and charisma determining followers, whilst 3rd edition cut any passive effects of Charisma and Wisdom adjusted your will save).

Intelligence meanwhile has always had some effect, but if we're moving back towards a model closer to earlier editions, I wouldn't be surprised if Intelligence only effected several skills and your languages known.

Remove ads