D&D (2024) Heightened Metabolism. See WotC? You CAN do it!

Horwath

Legend
Monk got 7th level feature: Heightened metabolism.
This allows to take a short rest in 1 minute.

But,

how can we improve on that thing?

1. Make it available to all characters.
2. Make it available at 1st level.
3. Make it not limited in use.
4. Profit.

Congratulations WotC, after 10 years, Short rest is now really SHORT rest.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Any reason why you haven't just been doing 1 minute short rests in your own game since the release of 5E14? Or at least a 5 minute Short Rest if you needed the rule to have been written down for you somewhere (like say the Variant Rules section of the DMG?)

Horwath

Legend
Any reason why you haven't just been doing 1 minute short rests in your own game since the release of 5E14? Or at least a 5 minute Short Rest if you needed the rule to have been written down for you somewhere (like say the Variant Rules section of the DMG?)
yes, I did. But many do not. nor is it an official rule.
And in campaigns that do NOT, there is in essence no short rest, well, maybe one every 3 long rests.

It comes down to, if you can afford an hour out of combat, you can afford 8 hrs.

monks and warlocks really do not like 1 hr short rests.

Dausuul

Legend
Monk got 7th level feature: Heightened metabolism.
This allows to take a short rest in 1 minute.

But,

how can we improve on that thing?

1. Make it available to all characters.
2. Make it available at 1st level.
3. Make it not limited in use.
4. Profit.

Congratulations WotC, after 10 years, Short rest is now really SHORT rest.
Take out #3 and you have the house rules my group has been using for a couple years now. (We limit short rests to 2/day. Otherwise the short-rest classes would go from underpowered to grotesquely OP.)

I do find it fascinating that Wizards is so reluctant to go this route. They are clearly inching toward it, and I suspect they will get there in time, but they seem determined to try out every possible alternative first.

Remove ads