D&D (2024) Heightened Metabolism. See WotC? You CAN do it!

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I don't think WotC wants to change the default rules on length of Short Rest because they recognize that is one of the easiest things for individual DMs to houserule. So easy in fact that they give us all suggestions on how to houserule rests in the DMG.

If they are flat-out telling us to houserule rests if we feel we need it... then it doesn't matter what the base rules are. And if they have determined that the "hardline" play groups that find Wizards and Clerics are dominating the game and Warlocks and Monks are getting blown out of the water because they don't short rest are a rare sub-group of D&D tables... then WotC obviously will not use those tables as evidence that the baseline rest needs to change.

I do 10-minute short rests and leave long rests as 8 hours. And literally nothing has broken the game by doing so. So what difference does it make that I'm not using the "official" rule on short rests? There is none. The only people for whom playing "official" is required and it might possibly affect are those players who are stuck just playing Adventurer's League as their only option and finding their AL DMs run games in such a way that the player CAN'T play a Warlock or Monk because they get shafted by that DM's playstyle and the 1-hour short rest. But at that point those people are such a small minority in the overall D&D population that WotC just seems reticent to change rules just to make certain small group of players lives easier when they don't impact the larger number of the playerbase. Especially now that playing "Official AL" has taken such a backseat to how the game is played and run. Even when I go to cons and play Adventurer's League, the games all seem pretty wishy-washy nowadays about worrying about officiality and keeping track of the quests you go on and the XP you earn, and Renown, and Factions, and the whole "magic item economy" in AL etc. It's nowhere near as stringent as it was 9 years ago when AL first started.

Monk got 7th level feature: Heightened metabolism.
This allows to take a short rest in 1 minute.

But,

how can we improve on that thing?

1. Make it available to all characters.
2. Make it available at 1st level.
3. Make it not limited in use.
4. Profit.

Congratulations WotC, after 10 years, Short rest is now really SHORT rest.
5 minutes short rest for all was already provide into the Epic Heroism rest Variant in the DMG. You didn’t have to wait ten years, but take a look at the DMG, the book that nobody read.

Horwath

Legend
5 minutes short rest for all was already provide into the Epic Heroism rest Variant in the DMG. You didn’t have to wait ten years, but take a look at the DMG, the book that nobody read.
it's a variant rule, so many do not use it. I do.
And it's not for official games.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Who cares about official games?

D&D is not designed for the AL. The AL is a square peg jammed into a round hole.
D&D is explicitly designed for unofficial games.
Official is meaningless. Only your own games matter. And if you can't convince your own table to go along with your rules preferences, do you really think you can get WotC to flip?

I’ve never understood this sentiment.

How!?

An hour is enormously different from 3 hours, much less 8!

Time in DND simply doesnt matter mechanically unless a DM goes out of their way to make it matter. Thats why rests can go anywhere from a minute to a week and not actually induce all that much consequence to the game.

The little consequence that does come of it is actually just by justifying to different DMs running the game closer to its intended progression math, (Ie, up to 6-8 medium encounters worth of XP) which doesn't require messing with rests to do.

An hour is enormously different from 3 hours, much less 8!
For the intended gameplay loop, it's really not. You're in a dungeon, you just had a fight, you need to heal up before more monsters show up? 5 minutes sounds reasonable and you can fit that in, that's short.

But an hour? That's not short, that is long - for that to be safe to do, you'd need to retreat out of the dungeon, and since you already did that, might as well just make it a long rest, because they are both in the long category already.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
standardising short rests to be mere minutes is not something i would be in favour of, i much prefer the longer rests of gritty realism, the idea that you can patch up and recover from all your injuries and exhausion(small e exhausion) in just 60 seconds jarrs my perception of the fantasy, i get that it is fantasy but it's not that fantasy to me.

that said, on the other hand short rest classes who can take quicker short rests so they can just slip them in as needed to recover resources without stopping the rest of the party does appeal as the lack of short rests taken is half of what's keeping short rest based and 'stamina' classes down.

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
The fact that they are considering features like this does give me hope that even if Warlocks go back to being a Pact Magic caster with only 2-3 spell slots, they may have a mechanic to allow for easier recovery without having to worry about a need for the group to take multiple short rest since not every table has the same level of consistency when it comes to actually being able to short rest on a consistent or convenient basis, which would work for me.

Remove ads