D&D (2024) Heightened Metabolism. See WotC? You CAN do it!

Dausuul

Legend
prof bonus per day sounds a nice middle ground.
Somebody did the math on that and found it was still much too strong at high levels.

I haven't checked those calculations, but they fit with my experience playing a warlock under this house rule from levels 11-15. Two short rests per day was plenty -- I had no trouble at all keeping up with the other PCs, all of whom were regular full casters (wizard, sorcerer, and cleric). If anything, they struggled a bit to keep up with me.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
yes, I did. But many do not. nor is it an official rule.
And in campaigns that do NOT, there is in essence no short rest, well, maybe one every 3 long rests.

It comes down to, if you can afford an hour out of combat, you can afford 8 hrs.

monks and warlocks really do not like 1 hr short rests.
Geez, people, just prepare Rope Trick! It’s not that hard.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
you are still wasting an hour, might as well cast Tiny hut(as ritual) and waste 8hrs.
A group of enemies you are chasing are quite a bit farther away in eight hours than in one.

There are other examples. It's very adventure and group dependent.

Would not like the monk's new ability as a feature for everyone, would change the game dynamic too much IMO.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Nah, it's more like playing Xenoblade, where within 10 seconds after combat your HP returns to max, just taking long enough that if Territorial Rotbart ambushes you before you fully recover from that battle with the Arduns, you're screwed.

Horwath

Legend
A group of enemies you are chasing are quite a bit farther away in eight hours than in one.

There are other examples. It's very adventure and group dependent.

Would not like the monk's new ability as a feature for everyone, would change the game dynamic too much IMO.
As for group dependent, if I play as fighter and wizard(and or cleric) say that they need rest after 1st battle in 9 AM and I have lost 5 HPs and nothing else(as I play a big dumb Champion), I am too happy to oblige if that makes them more fun for them to play.

Let's see, we starter out march 2 hrs ago, well, I guess we are camping here for next 22 hrs.

Horwath

Legend
I mean... at that point, you're basically playing Skyrim, where you just go into every fight with full Health and Magicka by waiting for an hour after each battle.
Nor really.
Your health might be full as your HDs are still dependent on Long rest recharge and there is only so much of them. But yeah, it does help.

But it helps short rest mechanics to be available in every or mostly every combat.

1min duration is simply as a safeguard that you cannot do it mid combat.
You can do it during a siege or mass combat, but that is the point, troops were rotated from front lines to rest for a moment before going back in.

Remathilis

Legend
Nor really.
Your health might be full as your HDs are still dependent on Long rest recharge and there is only so much of them. But yeah, it does help.

But it helps short rest mechanics to be available in every or mostly every combat.

1min duration is simply as a safeguard that you cannot do it mid combat.
You can do it during a siege or mass combat, but that is the point, troops were rotated from front lines to rest for a moment before going back in.
But that also guarantees a warlock has their two spell slots for every fight, and we mathematically showed that currently pact magic is worth a 1/3 caster with no rests, 1/2 with one, almost a full caster with 2, and better than a full caster over two. If short rests are made less than 1 hour, you have to change pact magic to spellcasting, cap the number of rests to 1 or 2 tops (cf arcane recovery for wizards) or remove/severely invocations to address the power budget.

Remove ads