D&D (2024) Heightened Metabolism. See WotC? You CAN do it!

The fact that they are considering features like this does give me hope
Fair point. If the short rest classes all got a once per day freebie recharge, I could live with that. It'd let them still reset to their expected baseline regardless of the situation / group play style.

It just needs to come earlier than Monk's lv7, because you've been running ragged and not having access to your tools for most of the campaign by that point. If it turns out that this is somehow problematic with multiclassing, then the problem is with multiclassing.

HammerMan

Legend
I mean... at that point, you're basically playing Skyrim, where you just go into every fight with full Health and Magicka by waiting for an hour after each battle.
I don’t know Skyrim. Is it a long rest/short rest mechanic or a quick recharge/cooldown/regen system?

I would bet almost anything every video game like Skyrim has its roots somewhere in d&d weaither direct or secondary.

HammerMan

Legend
Would not like the monk's new ability as a feature for everyone, would change the game dynamic too much IMO.
Not everyone. But if every class had at least some recharge on a short rest things and the ones that count on it (monk fighter and warlock off top of my head) had 1/day 1 min short rest that could do it

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Fair point. If the short rest classes all got a once per day freebie recharge, I could live with that. It'd let them still reset to their expected baseline regardless of the situation / group play style.

It just needs to come earlier than Monk's lv7, because you've been running ragged and not having access to your tools for most of the campaign by that point. If it turns out that this is somehow problematic with multiclassing, then the problem is with multiclassing.
Agreed. Just remove references to short rest entirely in the class mechanics (but leave the short rest/Hit Die rules in for backwards compatibility). Replace with a "Take 1 minute to meditate/concentrate, you regain your uses of Pact Magic/Channel Divinity/Bardic Inspiration/etc. You can use this ability X times before you take a long rest." Tune X to taste.

The important point is that it becomes a personal resource rather than something that requires group coordination to use.

HammerMan

Legend
Official is meaningless.
No it isn’t.
Only your own games matter. And if you can't convince your own table to go along with your rules preferences, do you really think you can get WotC to flip?
It is easy to convince someone to try a WoTC optional rule. It is easy to make a house rule. Until you hit the “ugh just let’s play base I don’t want to figure out variations even if I like that one”

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
It is easy to convince someone to try a WoTC optional rule. It is easy to make a house rule. Until you hit the “ugh just let’s play base I don’t want to figure out variations even if I like that one”
And again, it should be easier to convince your own group to go along with your changes, than to get WotC to go along with your changes so you don't have to try and convince your own group.

If it isn't, maybe the changes you desire aren't actually that good.

HammerMan

Legend
And again, it should be easier to convince your own group to go along with your changes, than to get WotC to go along with your changes so you don't have to try and convince your own group.
Again you are missing the whole point so I give up. Okay you don’t think we should TRY to get our way, so by that logic should not YOU not want to try to get YOUR way and as such it doesn’t matter about the playtest at all… since it doesn’t matter by your. Way of saying this?

Or, hypothetically if you are here talking in the playtest form, and putting YOUR opinions out maybe everyone should be?
If it isn't, maybe the changes you desire aren't actually that good.
By that logic maybe what you want isn’t that good either.

Shiroiken

Legend
I’ve never understood this sentiment.

How!?

An hour is enormously different from 3 hours, much less 8!
It's actually worse than 8 hours, being between 16-24 hours, since you can only long rest once per day. The difference between a short rest and a long rest is quite significant. However, some DMs don't want to impose consequences for resting, which leads to the short rest being pointless.

Remove ads