D&D (2024) Heightened Metabolism. See WotC? You CAN do it!

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Again you are missing the whole point so I give up. Okay you don’t think we should TRY to get our way, so by that logic should not YOU not want to try to get YOUR way and as such it doesn’t matter about the playtest at all… since it doesn’t matter by your. Way of saying this?

Or, hypothetically if you are here talking in the playtest form, and putting YOUR opinions out maybe everyone should be?

By that logic maybe what you want isn’t that good either.
I’m not really trying to get my way, I’m just offering my opinions because I think people might be interested. Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren’t. It’s all good.

What I don’t think is that my opinion will affect the contents of the 2024 book one bit.

And a lot of my play preferences are way out in left field, so I imagine a lot of people don’t think they’re that great. :)

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
I don’t know Skyrim. Is it a long rest/short rest mechanic or a quick recharge/cooldown/regen system?

I would bet almost anything every video game like Skyrim has its roots somewhere in d&d weaither direct or secondary.
Well yeah. Skyrim is the fifth numbered title in The Elder Scrolls series; the first title was an adaptation of the creator's D&D setting and campaigns. The Elder Scrolls is quite classically a D&D world -- Elves, Orcs, Humans, plus Catfolk and Lizardfolk make up the main peoples of the setting's 9 countries of Tamriel (Altmer/High Elves of the Summerset Isles, Bosmer/Wood Elves of Valenwood, Khajiit (catfolk) of Elsweyr, Argonians (Lizardfolk) of the Black Marsh aka Argonia, Dunmer/Dark Elves of the volcanic wastelands and fungal forests of Morrowind, Nord Humans of Skyrim, Manmer/Breton Half-elves of High Rock, Ra'Gada/Redguard Humans of Hammerfell, and Cyrodiilic/Imperial Humans of the heartland forests and fields of the Imperial Province aka Cyrodiil. Orsimer/Orcs live in the spaces between, but have their strongholds mainly in the mountains that form the borders of Hammerfell, High Rock, Skyrim, Cyrodiil, and Morrowind. There's only 1 Dwemer/Dwarf left alive, and he's in Morrowind, but Dwarvish ruins from the Age of Legends dot the landscapes of Hammerfell, High Rock, Skyrim, and Morrowind. Goblins and other traditional fantasy creatures appear throughout much of the continents, Dragons were thought to be extinct, but in Skyrim, they are coming back to life and wreaking havoc upon the peoples of the world.

This all said: Skyrim uses a cooldown/regen for stamina and magic (relatively slowly), but as I recall, not for health (if it does regen, it's extremely slowly), but you can use healing potions or restoration magic to heal faster. Death sets you back to the last save you made/autosave, losing all progress. Or you can rest to regain all health, but only if you're in a safe place to rest, and even then, you might be disturbed while sleeping and end up in conflict before all your health has been regained.

A game like Xenoblade is more like what this thread was going for, I'd think -- in that game you heal everything almost instantaneously after battles, and a death sets you back to the checkpoint location, but you don't lose any progress, so it's really more about, "how do I overcome this particular combat situation" than "how do I survive through a gauntlet of challenging battles over the course of a dungeon?" Skyrim dungeons have gauntlets because it's very easy to not be able to heal fast enough in places where it's not safe to rest. And because of an encumberance mechanic, you often can't retreat with fast travel unless you forego treasures you found in that dungeon or cave, unless you have some sort of feather spell or potion to help you carry more than your usual Strength ability score allows.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
So we're just accepting that they've just straight up swallowed the Oberoni Fallacy then?

Rulings, Not Rules.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh...YEAH!

Have you not been playing 5E for the past 9 years? It's been swallowed since the beginning of the game. Just because you don't apparently want to go along with it doesn't mean that the game hasn't been designed with this policy in mind the entire time.

Stalker0

Legend
But an hour? That's not short, that is long - for that to be safe to do, you'd need to retreat out of the dungeon, and since you already did that, might as well just make it a long rest, because they are both in the long category already.
An hour is enough time for maybe a guard to go on break and back.

8 hours is enough time for the entire guard shift to rotate in and out.

I respect that there is a big difference between 5 minutes and 1 hour. But respect there is also a big difference between 1 hour and 8.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Rulings, Not Rules.
THIS. The game is about what you make of it. It's a base line, intentionally flexible to be modded and kitted by individual tables utilizing the best of what the DM's Guild and other 2nd and 3rd Party sellers have to offer, or better yet your own homebrew designed to make the game the way your table wants it to be!

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Time in DND simply doesnt matter mechanically unless a DM goes out of their way to make it matter. Thats why rests can go anywhere from a minute to a week and not actually induce all that much consequence to the game.

The little consequence that does come of it is actually just by justifying to different DMs running the game closer to its intended progression math, (Ie, up to 6-8 medium encounters worth of XP) which doesn't require messing with rests to do.
This is opposite my experience. An hour might make no real difference in the adventure while hours would be a big deal.
For the intended gameplay loop, it's really not. You're in a dungeon, you just had a fight, you need to heal up before more monsters show up? 5 minutes sounds reasonable and you can fit that in, that's short.

But an hour? That's not short, that is long - for that to be safe to do, you'd need to retreat out of the dungeon, and since you already did that, might as well just make it a long rest, because they are both in the long category already.
An hour isn’t significantly more than the 10-30 minutes of faffing about with ritual casting and whatever else PCs do all the time.
It's actually worse than 8 hours, being between 16-24 hours, since you can only long rest once per day. The difference between a short rest and a long rest is quite significant. However, some DMs don't want to impose consequences for resting, which leads to the short rest being pointless.
If those DMs groups are experience issues due to long rest classes being at max power all the time, they should just make short tests happen incidentally when you’re not doing anything strenuous between fights, whether that’s a quick breather, 5 to 10 minutes of 30+ minutes, since the particulars don’t matter in their game.

This is opposite my experience. An hour might make no real difference in the adventure while hours would be a big deal.

Thats because for you the importance of time was being enforced, if not mechanically then certainly narratively.

5e as designed gives no incentive or reason to take either step, aside from the adventuring day guidelines.

HammerMan

Legend
Well yeah. Skyrim is the fifth numbered title in The Elder Scrolls series; the first title was an adaptation of the creator's D&D setting and campaigns. The Elder Scrolls is quite classically a D&D world -- Elves, Orcs, Humans, plus Catfolk and Lizardfolk make up the main peoples of the setting's 9 countries of Tamriel (Altmer/High Elves of the Summerset Isles, Bosmer/Wood Elves of Valenwood, Khajiit (catfolk) of Elsweyr, Argonians (Lizardfolk) of the Black Marsh aka Argonia, Dunmer/Dark Elves of the volcanic wastelands and fungal forests of Morrowind, Nord Humans of Skyrim, Manmer/Breton Half-elves of High Rock, Ra'Gada/Redguard Humans of Hammerfell, and Cyrodiilic/Imperial Humans of the heartland forests and fields of the Imperial Province aka Cyrodiil. Orsimer/Orcs live in the spaces between, but have their strongholds mainly in the mountains that form the borders of Hammerfell, High Rock, Skyrim, Cyrodiil, and Morrowind. There's only 1 Dwemer/Dwarf left alive, and he's in Morrowind, but Dwarvish ruins from the Age of Legends dot the landscapes of Hammerfell, High Rock, Skyrim, and Morrowind. Goblins and other traditional fantasy creatures appear throughout much of the continents, Dragons were thought to be extinct, but in Skyrim, they are coming back to life and wreaking havoc upon the peoples of the world.

This all said: Skyrim uses a cooldown/regen for stamina and magic (relatively slowly), but as I recall, not for health (if it does regen, it's extremely slowly), but you can use healing potions or restoration magic to heal faster. Death sets you back to the last save you made/autosave, losing all progress. Or you can rest to regain all health, but only if you're in a safe place to rest, and even then, you might be disturbed while sleeping and end up in conflict before all your health has been regained.

A game like Xenoblade is more like what this thread was going for, I'd think -- in that game you heal everything almost instantaneously after battles, and a death sets you back to the checkpoint location, but you don't lose any progress, so it's really more about, "how do I overcome this particular combat situation" than "how do I survive through a gauntlet of challenging battles over the course of a dungeon?" Skyrim dungeons have gauntlets because it's very easy to not be able to heal fast enough in places where it's not safe to rest. And because of an encumberance mechanic, you often can't retreat with fast travel unless you forego treasures you found in that dungeon or cave, unless you have some sort of feather spell or potion to help you carry more than your usual Strength ability score allows.
Thank you. That is a great answer and a level of detail without snark I am not used to. So again thank you.

Remove ads