D&D (2024) Heightened Metabolism. See WotC? You CAN do it!

Vaalingrade

Legend
Rulings, Not Rules.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh...YEAH!

Have you not been playing 5E for the past 9 years? It's been swallowed since the beginning of the game. Just because you don't apparently want to go along with it doesn't mean that the game hasn't been designed with this policy in mind the entire time.
I refuse to let this bad philosophy excuse the designers from abdicating their responsibility to deliver a good game.

I can't just sell you a blank sketchbook and say I sold you fine art.

MGibster

Legend
Back in 3rd edition, I was running a game of Living Greyhawk for a group and we had gotten to the end of the module. After defeating a large portion of the bad guys, the main baddie was hidden in a barrow and awaiting the players. The players decided this wa a good time to take a full rest to get all their spells back. In the module, the main baddie had a secret tunnel to the river where he had a small boat tied to the dock. You know what the baddie did? He got the hell out of Dodge and the players ended up missing out on some experience points and magic items. I wasn't trying to be a jerk or anything, but what else was the baddies supposed to do? Just sit there and wait for the PCs to kick his butt?

shadowoflameth

Adventurer
Monk got 7th level feature: Heightened metabolism.
This allows to take a short rest in 1 minute.

But,

how can we improve on that thing?

1. Make it available to all characters.
2. Make it available at 1st level.
3. Make it not limited in use.
4. Profit.

Congratulations WotC, after 10 years, Short rest is now really SHORT rest.
I was just going over my own first impressions of the monk. You hit on Heightened Metabolism being appropriate to an earlier level. My own feeling is that it should just be part of what Martial Discipline does. Then some of the later abilities in the play test could be moved earlier as well (because they should be). IMHO to fix the monk meaning make it on par with other classes:

Give the monk a fighting style at 1st.

Let Martial Arts Dice apply to Monk Weapons.

Keep Monk Weapons in name and in design both for fun and Backward compatibility with abilities that use the Monk Weapon name.

Make Unarmed Strikes a Melee Weapon giving them access to the Martial Mastery properties in the play test. Give Monks mastery of Unarmed Strikes.

Let any weapon proficiency that the Monk gains make that weapon a Monk Weapon

Drop Ki Point requirement for Patient Defense and Step of the Wind entirely.

Give the Monk 2 plus Wisdom Bonus Ki Points at 2nd Add a feat let the Monk gain more.

Don’t Nerf Stunning Strike It’s already hard to pull off.

Drop the awkward, un-fun and pointless name changes of things.

Heightened Metabolism should just be part of what Martial Discipline does.

Perfect Discipline and Superior Defense are good but need to be at earlier levels.

Bring Back Perfect Self.

Fix the 5E Sub-classes. They are ALL bad. Just different levels of bad. (Meaning none of them make the monk as good as another class could be built to fill a similar role).

Last edited:

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I refuse to let this bad philosophy excuse the designers from abdicating their responsibility to deliver a good game.

I can't just sell you a blank sketchbook and say I sold you fine art.
Okay. Then don't play it. No one says you have to, while the rest of us are D&Ding happily.

And I've seen a lot of modern art. One certainly CAN sell a blank sketchbook and say they sold fine art. ;)

Remove ads