• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tidbits from PHB Viewing

Hammerhead

Explorer
tuffnoogies said:
Yes, but it would make adventuring rather boring if the characters weren't risking death.

Or did you mean ban raise dead?

Not so. My longest running game (1st-18th) had a party who couldn't die. Well, they could die, they would return to life after an hour or so with a tiny XP penalty. That game certainly wasn't boring. Just because you can't die doesn't mean that other people you care about won't die, or you won't lose all your precious magic items, or because losing SUCKS, or the bank won't get robbed, etc. As long as their is anything else at stake in the adventure (even pride), people won't take suicidal risks.

andarilhor

First Post
Anyone know if the roles and the power sources has any significance besides as a game design instrument?
If the fighter and the paladin has any features in common because both are defenders?
Or the paladin and the cleric has anything in common because both has divine power sources?

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Best Guess

andarilhor said:
Anyone know if the roles and the power sources has any significance besides as a game design instrument?
If the fighter and the paladin has any features in common because both are defenders?
Or the paladin and the cleric has anything in common because both has divine power sources?
The roles, probably just game design. But I could see magic items keying on power sources instead of just classes.

Timlagor

First Post
How often do you get Feats?

In the preview characters, both the Fighter and Paladin get to "mark" an enemy (giving it penalties for attacking others) but each enemy can only have one Mark at a time.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Timlagor said:
How often do you get Feats?
I think it was about every 4 levels, but not sure on that.

edit: That seems to be incorrect, every other level is more likely, as the characters in KotS gain a feat at 2nd level.
In the preview characters, both the Fighter and Paladin get to "mark" an enemy (giving it penalties for attacking others) but each enemy can only have one Mark at a time.
True, and I think there are other marks available, but each is different, some in how you mark, some in effects of the mark.

Last edited:

WhatGravitas

Explorer
tuffnoogies said:
Yes, but it would make adventuring rather boring if the characters weren't risking death.
There are things worse than death, especially in a fantasy world. Don't forget: Since it's only the death of the character, not the player, you'll never "fear" the death. You fear losing. You still lose, even without death.

Getting rid of accidental death in combat, replacing it with "being knocked-out" - perhaps with a penalty attached - allows the players to get more invested into their characters (since they're not dying to bad luck any more), hence they feel the consequences of losing more than before.

Because now it's not about surviving, but about saving the world/friend/whatever.

Cheers, LT.

Wormwood

Adventurer
tuffnoogies said:
In my final (and I daresay most successful) D&D campaign, no PCs could die unless their player expressly consented---effectively removing the "threat" of death from the campaign.

So I would definitely disagree that removing such an element resulted in a boring game.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Dragonblade said:
I thought it was already established that you get a feat at level 1 and at every even level? I'm 99% positive that was already confirmed.
Could be, I didn't make a note at the time and was trying to remember the chart.
I want to take another look at the books!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads