Tiefling, Dragonborn : have they gained traction ?

CapnZapp

Legend
Tieflings are a decent concept.

Dragonborn are an abomination that simply does not exist IMC. Some things, like "can I play a Dragon" have an easy answer.

CapnZapp

Legend
No.

Is the answer. Including everything only makes WotC's coffers richer.

Not including things is what makes your game richer.

alleynbard

First Post
No.

This sounds very badwrongfun to me.

Is that what you meant?

Actually, I will admit I started off kind of irritated but now I am interested in hearing your reasons for this opinion. If you don't mind clarifying that is. I am not looking to shoot you down, but I want to hear what you have to say. I find myself fascinated. I am one of those "live and let live" kind of guys, so it would be cool to hear your reasoning.

Personally, I am not overly bothered by how Wizards is producing material, but I can see your point of view. But does your thoughts on the subject go further than that?

In answer to the OP, I think both races have some pretty good traction. I have seen both dragonborn and tieflings at my table. But that is only a simple story from one game table and is likely not representative of the whole community. I would like to see them appear more often in the future, if that means anything.

Last edited:

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
So, do you use them in your campaign?

I think for most long time rpgers, they fundamentally change the flavor of traditional campaigns where such races might only have a place as NPC races, if at all. IME, they tend to appeal most to newer players, particularly those who come from a CRPG backgrounds, for whatever reasons.

RefinedBean

First Post
No.

Opinions aren't facts.

Shemeska said:
I -adore- tieflings. But, I cannot stand the appearance and homogeneity of appearance that 4e forced onto tieflings. Gone are the grab-bag of random fiendish traits, mixed bloodlines, and unique individual appearances, all in favor a default origin story for all tieflings and a set of gigantic horns, a thick brow-ridge, and overly large tail. They've lost some of their hallmarks of the last twenty years in the process of WotC including them as a core race, and IMO too much was forcibly sacrificed in the process.

Sounds like something a 3PP should jump on. Goodman Games did something for Dragonborn already, right? Bringing back some of the old school flavor of Tieflings should be a piece of cake.

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
No.

I had a four paragraph post typed, but it would derail the thread and I don't really want to discuss it. Suffice it to say, I thank you for your apparent insight into my game, but I find it strange that you strangely cannot say anything useful about your own game. Ie. I strongly dislike your rhetorical choice of words, as it leaves no room for discussion as you give no arguments, you state as fact, and you state as universal.

In any case, minor cosmetic reasons aside, my opinion on the new races: tieflings don't do it for me as a core race, as it implies that they are common, which in my opinion undercuts their natural "brooding, dark, angsty outsider" niche. Dragonborn work just fine for me as a non evil warrior race. I quite like them stat wise, and the Dragon article made it quite easy for me to fit them in. It's almost like they've always been a part of the world. I suspect because they are different enough from dwarves that the warrior culture aspects don't clash to much (dwarves IMC have always been rather xenophobic).

Shemeska

Adventurer
Sounds like something a 3PP should jump on. Goodman Games did something for Dragonborn already, right? Bringing back some of the old school flavor of Tieflings should be a piece of cake.

Nice idea. Hell, I'd work on it. :)

Though doesn't 4e have some freaky clause about forbidding changing the default flavor and definition of core material? Of course, that's only if you used the GSL I suppose.

Remove ads