• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tiefling, Dragonborn : have they gained traction ?

darjr

I crit!
Like that makes a difference.

The difference is that you'll need to amend your version of the Eberron design goals.

I think it would be interesting to know how much use the versions of them in 3.5 were used.

In my experience at the tail end of 3.5 they had a bit of traction.

Kinneus

Explorer
While I'm not an enormous fan of either dragonborn or tieflings, I think it was a good idea to include them in PHB as a 'core' race, even if they're not necessarily the most populous. It was really an act of mercy, for both players and DMs.

I used to help run a freeform play-by-post website, you see. And in our setting, dragons were rare and incredibly powerful beings, and demons and angels didn't even exist. Despite this, we'd still get at least one application a week from a new player trying to play a half-demon prince, or a human with a 'strange curse' that makes him look like a dragon.

The fact is, some people just really flipping love dragons and demons, and will do incredible backflips to play them or something like them. Also, I play with a lot of really casual players, and there's something about the tiefling and dragonborn that really trips their triggers. "I can be a half-dragon? I can be a freaking devil! Awesome!"

New races seem to follow this same ideal. Shifters? They let a player play a werewolf. Deva? Half-angel. Wilden? Half-plant, baby.

By putting races like this in the PHB, I felt like WotC was saying, "People want to play to this, so you better figure out a way to deal with it, DMs." I'm of the always-say-yes school of DMing, so if you get a party consisting of one half tieflings and one half dragonborn, so be it. It's up to you as the DM to remind players that just because they picked a core race from the PHB, that doesn't mean they're common or accepted. Feel free to have primitive lizardmen cower before them as gods, or for well-meaning elves to attack the 'monsters'. Have the powers-at-be act as general, racist dinks, and have small villages to shutter up their windows when the conquering heroes breeze into town.

Just because you have a dragonborn or tiefling in your party, that doesn't mean the whole world has to like them. Heck, it doesn't even mean that you as a DM have to like them. But you do have to be able to deal with them. If the dragonbon were errata'd away into oblivion tomorrow, I think you'd still have players trying to roll up humans with scaly wings and ophidian eyes and, yes, even dragonbewbs. By having them be a standard race, the players can play their favorite 'cool race' without having it be terribly overpowered or underpowered or complicated.

Last edited:

rounser

First Post
The difference is that you'll need to amend your version of the Eberron design goals.
Trivia, you're grasping at straws. They've already kitchen sinked in everything else, like some cosmology change from the great wheel is going to matter?

Seems to have been part of the OP question.
Maybe so, but does that make it relevant to whether or not they have traction now? Is the past (whatever it may be) relevant to Dragonborn's inclusion in 4E core? I'm not convinced that it is at all.

Bollocks. It had a design goal of "everything in 3E D&D has a place here", and is the only setting designed that way (until perhaps 4E FR, who knows what they've done to that). It's kitchen sink by design, the whole competition was skewed to that artificial rule, and IMO it shows. Don't try and pretend FR has a place for everything 3E, because that's bunkum.
Bollocks indeed. You have it backwards though; Eberron does have a place to put (basically) anything from D&D, but that doesn't mean Eberron is designed to include to include everything. Instead, Eberron was designed with enough under-detailed spaces that the setting has room for whatever D&D game elements a DM could want to include.

Eberron has a handful of close-knit themes, which make it more concise than FR. FR was conceived as a setting of thinly veiled fantasy analogues of real-world historical cultures, which is at least as "kitchen sink" as Eberron. (Dramatically moreso, IMO.)

Didn't Eberron not use the 'core' D&D cosmology.
Yes, Eberron has its own cosmology.

Doug McCrae

Legend
We have 4e since last year. Have you the feeling that the new races, tiefling and dragonborn, have gained the same "traction" than the good old standard D&D races (dwarf, elf, halfling...) ?
Too early to tell. All we can say with certainty is that gnomes have zero traction.

Trivia, you're grasping at straws. They've already kitchen sinked in everything else, like some cosmology change from the great wheel is going to matter?
Seriously, why have you decided to turn this discussion into an attack on Eberron? The mods already warned us once to get back on topic, so why do you insist on provoking fans (like me) in an unrelated topic?

rounser

First Post
But you do have to be able to deal with them.
In theory, a DM doesn't "have" to do anything, but a dodgy core game can make that mostly theoretical. Make them optional, and the players your referring to would still be catered to. Alienating the audience who doesn't want the things in every campaign, and making D&D's implied setting hokey and arbitrary doesn't make sense either.
By having them be a standard race, the players can play their favorite 'cool race' without having it be terribly overpowered or underpowered or complicated.
False premise, because poor implementation is just poor implementation. It doesn't justify making everything compulsory so that it gets designed correctly. Get some new designers already if that's the case.

baphomet68

First Post
Anybody think the Deva, Shifter, Goliath, or any other race is going to join the ranks of the "common races" or have any other candidates?

I think the Deva and Goliath are great additions; and the shifter pretty cool too. I think these eclectic additions to the common races make 4e pregnant with roleplaying and story potential. While I would like the game to be more overtly roleplay focused, I think the broad selection of character races sets up real backstory potential.

Just because a fantasy setting does not include Dragonborn somewhere on the map seems like a poor reason for me not to be able to play one. That sort of inflexibility would certainly be a warning sign. I have always thought that the game was best when everyone - players and DM - were creatively involved.

fanboy2000

Adventurer
Don't try and pretend FR has a place for everything 3E, because that's bunkum.
Not only did 3.x FR not have a place for everything 3e (though they tried to include a lot) the 3e campaign setting had to invent rules for some of the setting's peculiarities. Level adjustments, effective character levels, epic character levels and the xp system used in the 3.5 DMG all made their first appearances in the 3e FRCG.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads