• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tiefling Sorceress optimization!

24 hours (almost) is a good time for a bump I think.

And I'll include the unresolved bits.

Dagger vs Staff. Is a Dagger of thunderbolts going to be better then a Staff of Ruin?

And of course anything else is up for critique. I did decide against the MC just because writing it didn't feel right to me, so I took the superior impliment and Staff expertise.

Thunderbolt Weapon is level 13+, so you can start with Staff of Ruin (3+) and associated feats, then retrain feats later to use daggers. Or keep the staff feats and switch the staff magic item to lightning/frost/radiant/(magi if you can get it) as Zathris suggested.

Anyway the point is you can't have a Thunderbolt Weapon at level 1 so there's no point in optimizing around it until later.

wasteomana

First Post
The bigger point is that paragon is the point where, in general, you really want to be bound to an elemental type. What type that is depends largely on you. I really like Lightning for sorcerers. Partially because it has good support, partially because the campaign I'm in allows Mark of Storm and partially because my favorite pet build uses it (Dragonborn Sorcerer).

Staff of Ruin falls into much of the same category, in reverse, that Dual Implement Expertise falls into. Yes its useful and cool at low levels, but the main issue is that making everything the same type outstrips the damage from the property. DiS has the opposite problem (Not worth the feat slot until you have, at bare minimum, a +2 offhand).

I cant approve of that post enough. And I think this iefling Storm Sorc is quickly becoming my pet build. Im already planning on rebuilding her for a 5e game that might be starting up next year.

Speaking of mark of storm, I ran it passed my DM because we are decidedly not in the realms.

He's willing to give it to me, BUT I also get "On a 1 Im knocked back my dex mod and fall prone. If I hit something solid I take the remaining movement as falling damage but if I am flying or can fly I can do so and avoid a number of squares equal to my fly speed. So if I roll 2 crits and a crit fail Im fine. However I decide before I make my first attack roll if I am using the ability." So I dont get boned by the RNG on AOE powers.

This looks good and fair to me, and if I am reading it right, it applies to the spare damage of lightning strike.

I only have about 12 hours to decide on this, but it looks good to me, so I am adding it... if you think its a terrible idea, just say so.

wasteomana

First Post
Speaking of mark of storm, I ran it passed my DM because we are decidedly not in the realms.

He's willing to give it to me, BUT I also get "On a 1 Im knocked back my dex mod and fall prone. If I hit something solid I take the remaining movement as falling damage but if I am flying or can fly I can do so and avoid a number of squares equal to my fly speed. So if I roll 2 crits and a crit fail Im fine. However I decide before I make my first attack roll if I am using the ability." So I dont get boned by the RNG on AOE powers.

This looks good and fair to me, and if I am reading it right, it applies to the spare damage of lightning strike.

I only have about 12 hours to decide on this, but it looks good to me, so I am adding it... if you think its a terrible idea, just say so.

That seems like a really goofy change to the power. I'd say optimize more to avoid crit-fails on your Flame Spiral and then go from there (Pick up a Stone as soon as possible and take things like Good Timing and Life's Losing Hand over other options for nat 1 problem prevention). Sorcerers with Flame Spiral and Mark of Storm can be brutal. Being a Tiefling means you can't get Sarifal, but still excellent without going full goat.

Remove ads