Tiefling w/ non-tiefling siblings.

Cintra

First Post
In my campaign, Tiefling doesn't work as a race quite the same way. Instead, if someone makes a certain sort of pact with infernal beings, that person's bloodline now carries a hidden taint. At any point (even dozens of generations later), that taint might suddenly erupt to make some baby be born a Tiefling instead of a human. (I haven't yet had to make a ruling on if this can happen for non-humans, but since humans are supposed to be the corruptible race, for the moment, it's just human bloodlines.)

So it's perfectly possible to have twins, and one is a tiefling and the other is a human.

I've also ruled that tiefling parents breeding with humans are 50% likely to produce a tiefling; two tiefling parents should always produce a tiefling.

kenobi65

First Post
A friend of mine and I are going to be playing some Living Forgotten Realms at GenCon next month, and we've been planning to play brothers, loosely based on Sam and Dean Winchester from "Supernatural".

My friend's PC is going to be based on Dean, and he's going to go with a tiefling, to reflect Dean's darker nature. My PC is going to be based on Sam, and he'll be human. Based on the PHB fluff on tieflings, which suggests that they breed true, it sounds like we'll have to actually be half-brothers.

Cang

First Post
the way i see it is the "half" races only happen when there is some sort of magic involved. From what i read about the direction they are talking d&d most half-elves are from elderin elf background. Then they are sent out of the fey into the human world, essentially being banished for their imperfection,shame, law, how ever you see it. All other halves come from magical creatures, ie dragons, demons, etc.

The way i play it is that to create a "half" breed involves a certain level of magical infusion. It is not a purely genetic thing. Elderin and to a certain extent elves are considered magical creatues. So if a human has a child with an elf, you create a partially magical entitiy that is essentially a human with some of the elves magical being infused in it. Not a true hybrid like a mule, but more of a magical mix. (like something a magician might create in a ritual, but complety natuaral.) I could assume that sometimes the infusion does not take place. I would also assume that if a halfling,dwarf, and other fairly "human" races crossbred with an elf, they would get essentially the same entitiy as a human and an elf. Perhaps alittle shorter or thicker but nothing stat wise would change. This could easily explain why you dont see half-halfling running around. A human and halfling arnt considered magical creatures, thus no infusion.

The same concept might go for a half dragon. In theory there should be no way (even polymorphed) that a human can have a child with a dragon. But being that it would be a magical infusion and not a true genetic hybrid, then you have a half-dragon, so to speak.

And the teifling are there own race now just like the dragonborn, coming from an ancient civilization that has been placed in this world. So perhaps you cant have half of those because they are not as magical as the fey elves.

my 2 cents.

Remove ads