• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Timing of actions

ogre

First Post
Hello!

I have a couple questions that arose in last nights game.
First, can you use a minor action in the middle of a move action. Meaning move 2, use minor action, move 4, use standard action. I think not, but thought I'd ask the wise anyway.
The other question is a little more tricky. Say a fey warlock uses Eldritch blast while adjacent to the target. He hits and kills the target. Can he misty step before the impending OA?

James McMurray

First Post
Hello!

I have a couple questions that arose in last nights game.
First, can you use a minor action in the middle of a move action. Meaning move 2, use minor action, move 4, use standard action. I think not, but thought I'd ask the wise anyway.

No, the only way to interrupt another action is with an interrupt.

The other question is a little more tricky. Say a fey warlock uses Eldritch blast while adjacent to the target. He hits and kills the target. Can he misty step before the impending OA?

No. Misty Step is a free action, not an interrupt.

-Avalon-

First Post
Also, the opportunity attack is an interrupt, so it happens before the warlock even hits with the Eldritch Blast.

Which makes things fun, if the enemy turns out to be a minion, the a lot of timing issues come up...

Simple action, Warlock casts Eldritch Blast.
non-imm. interrupt Reaction, Minion takes a swipe at warlock.
non-imm. interrupt reaction, warlock's pact blade goes off.
Reaction, Minion Dies.
Ultimate End, Warlock has no legal target, therefore must choose a new target.

Does the warlock get to pick a new target from his new position 3 squares away? or must he/she pick a new one from exactly where they currently are?

-Avalon-

First Post
The warlock's pack blade would not go off. You cannot take immediate actions on your turn.

Except that the pact blade is not an immediate action, note that I said non-imm.

In equipment section of PHB, it just says whenever a creature that is cursed attacks the warlock with a melee attack, the pact blade goes off. No immediate about it.

IanArgent

First Post
Which makes things fun, if the enemy turns out to be a minion, the a lot of timing issues come up...

Reaction, Minion Dies.

Does the warlock get to pick a new target from his new position 3 squares away? or must he/she pick a new one from exactly where they currently are?

Which is why the Warlock should have targeted someone other than the adjacent minion :)

Seriously, I have nailed a bunch of minions by drawing them into OAs while wielding the Pact Blade.

The timing issues for the teleport still apply, though.

Tale

First Post

Reaction, Minion Dies.

Warlock does not pick a new target at all. Immediate reactions occur before the action is fully resolved, not before the action happens at all. The Warlock still used the attack.

T

TDarien

The thing that hasn't been noted is that the if the original target is invalidated from interrupts, the action is lost.

Remove ads