• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Tips for a new 4E DM

strider1970

First Post
My D&D career, specifically as a DM, started years ago with Basic D&D, then AD&D, including 2nd edition, but then I strayed away largely during 3.0/3.5 although I played a bit. Since 4e has been released I have become very familiar with the whole "4e sucks, Pathfinder, etc. is better" debate. Honestly I would like to give 4e a try and make my own call as to whether it is better or worse than "Mathfinder" as one of my friends calls it.

So next month I am thinking about DMing a small adventure for a small group, but I am undecided between reverting back to AD&D, which still feels the most familiar to me, or a retroclone, or to move on ahead with the newest incarnation that is 4e. Should I just embrace 4e?

Does anyone have any tips or advice for DMing a 4e adventure for the first time? For instance, is it easier to DM with 4e?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

braro

Explorer
Here are some general things to keep in mind, boiling down what I have experienced and what I have read from others.

* Level appropriate encounters are supposed to be important to the general design
- A more traditional dungeon crawl in 4e would actually have each floor as the encounter.
- A traditional throw away encounter that the PCs breeze through should mainly be maybe 4 minions and one normal monster of appropriate level. This will get dropped in 1-2 rounds.

* PCs are more enduring.
- They can take more damage and recover it, so don't worry too much about crushing them at first level.

* Daily encounters can really swing the way a fight goes.
-Action points, too.

* Most high magic stuff is ritual casting now; I really like to use this to flavor my world and NPC casters.

As for running a new adventure...

* Make the conflict and goal very clear and straight forward; something that the PCs can immediately latch on to. If your goal is to introduce people, don't make the plot hard to understand. A thematically rich antagonist with a clear goal that the PCs can stop will work great.

* Put them in a situation where time is of the essence, so you don't have to worry about them resting too much.

* Have the first encounter be something on the easy side, and ramp up. For example, 2 normal monsters and four minions for five PCs; its enough meat that everyone will get to take a turn and try out stuff. Then add monsters until you are at appropriate level.

* It is better to use level appropriate monsters where possible. You can adjust a monsters level up or down by removing +1 to hit, damage, defenses, and then also removing some number of hit points based on the role.

* Solos are a bit of a trap unless the PCs are being cautious. However, you might want to use them for the final opponent. If so, either use them as part of a hard encounter with some minions, or use an elite monster with normal monster support.

* Figure out what themes you want to bring out, lore and flavor wise, and build them in to the encounters.

For example, I did a brief adventure set in a volcanic cauldron where the PCs had to stop a primordial from awakening in the volcano. The volcano itself had a spirit that slumbered, and the PCs had to stop a mad mage from causing the whole mess to blow up. They had to fight their way to the volcano through some tricked hobgoblins, and then they had to fight elementals and archons within the volcano, before a show down with him and his final elemental guardians.

Start with essentials...
even though it is meant for new players, classes feel a bit more "old school"

The rest is:
don´t be fooled by high hp of monsters and PCs. This game is very deadly. Especially since there usually is no easy way out of a battle (like casting sleep etc)

If you are in a fight with 10 Kobolds at 1st level, You may actually die.
The only thing that allows for such big fights are minion rules, which are a bit hard to swallow when you use them first, but allow for some nice rank filling.

My D&D career, specifically as a DM, started years ago with Basic D&D, then AD&D, including 2nd edition, but then I strayed away largely during 3.0/3.5 although I played a bit. Since 4e has been released I have become very familiar with the whole "4e sucks, Pathfinder, etc. is better" debate. Honestly I would like to give 4e a try and make my own call as to whether it is better or worse than "Mathfinder" as one of my friends calls it.

So next month I am thinking about DMing a small adventure for a small group, but I am undecided between reverting back to AD&D, which still feels the most familiar to me, or a retroclone, or to move on ahead with the newest incarnation that is 4e. Should I just embrace 4e?

Does anyone have any tips or advice for DMing a 4e adventure for the first time? For instance, is it easier to DM with 4e?

Thanks in advance.

Well, you will get a lot of different opinions for sure. 4e breaks somewhat from earlier editions. How much that bothers your group is really hard to say.

4e is really not a LOT less complex than PF (which is pretty much just 3.5 with some tweaks). It is a bit more straightforward and designed to be clearer and easier to understand. OTOH it has its own sorts of complexities, though I think they are less intrusive in play. NEITHER system is as simple and lightweight as Basic or even AD&D. The retro-clones in general are probably much closer to AD&D in that sense. OTOH 4e has much more polished generalized rules, so if a player decided to have his character run up the log and leap on the ogre, well in 4e there's a simple mechanic for that (based on skills, usually dubbed 'page 42' in 4e parlance because it is on page 42 of the DMG).

PERSONALLY, I think 4e works better than PF. It is a more carefully crafted game.

1) Monsters are much simpler and more straightforward, much like AD&D monsters, they have a stat block and powers. In PF/3.5 monsters are more like PCs and if they have special abilities they get complex and time consuming to design pretty quickly. For example a spell-caster in 4e is just a monster with some powers that are its 'spells', you can make up whatever you want, and don't need to include stuff that won't actually matter in combat. A PF spell casting monster is a full PC-style spell caster with levels and a spell selection just like a PC.

2) Encounter design in 4e is very 'packaged'. XP budget specifies what numbers and levels of monsters to assemble into a balanced encounter. This works pretty well, give or take a bit. PF uses the same 'CR' system as 3.5 basically, which is totally wonky and gives you only a very vague idea of the actual difficulty of the encounter.

3) Many tedious aspects of 3.5/PF just don't come up in 4e. You don't have things like 'ability score damage' or 'level drain' which require vast amounts of time to totally recalculate all the numbers on the PC in the middle of a fight. 4e would just plop a condition on the PC like 'weakened' that reduces all damage done by half until you get rid of it.

4) Other things like traps, terrain, hazards, etc are pretty straightforward in 4e. Combat has only a few situations that create modifiers and the modifiers are easy to use. Things CAN get complicated with the monsters and the PCs stacking on numerous effects on each other, but they are all still designed to be easier to handle.

OVERALL 4e is not a super simple game, but it is easier to handle than PF in play. Most things are designed to be 'back loaded' complexity-wise, so once you have your character sheet set up complexity doesn't tend to show up so much at the table during play.

So, if the primary desire is for a very simple game, then the best you can do with 4e is to use Essentials, which does reduce the complexity of setup for some classes of characters (wizards are still pretty much the same as ever though). Even so rolling up a 4e character is never going to be anything near as simple as doing a Basic character. OTOH it isn't like the math is overwhelming. You can still do up a level 1 PC in 10 minutes if you know the system.

You can also get DDI and use the character builder, which does all the 'fill in the modifiers' stuff for you and makes a nice character sheet. Of course it is not free, you pay $7-10 a month depending on length of subscription (1 year is $72). On the flip side you get all of Dragon and Dungeon and a Compendium that lists every power, class, monster, item, etc in a searchable database. This can save you a lot in buying books you won't use much and is vastly better than flipping through books all the time. CB puts a lot of rules text on the character sheet too, so that really helps in play.

Realistically it is all a matter of taste. If the group is totally happy with Basic/AD&D and that's what they want, then you may be perfectly happy with that. If you want a game with more sophisticated rules and classes that are all pretty close to equally capable in and out of combat then 4e may be a good choice.

You can buy a Red Box for something under $20 and try it. That only gives you a couple levels, but there's an adventure and enough stuff to test out the game and see how it works for you. Worst case you're not out a huge chunk of money. The other Essentials products have nice counters and maps and some adventures too if you go that way. It isn't a cheap game exactly, but you do get a lot of good stuff for your money, and it isn't really more expensive than other similar games.

Quickleaf

Legend
Well that's basically my background with D&D too, mostly from the DM side of the screen. And I adopted 4e and really enjoyed it.

That said I did make changes to the RAW: I jettisoned much of the built in fluff, I tweaked monsters a bit and made a lot of homebrew ones, and used [MENTION=5889]Stalker0[/MENTION] 's Obsidian rules for skill challenges.

Thing is I enjoyed playing 3e and 2e and 1e. IMO the great thing about 4e is that it makes it easier on the DM. Though being a *great* DM is still a challenge. :)

Borrow some books or download the QuickStart rules and run a one-shot with your friends. Take it for a test drive first. I mean Pathfinder is a great game as are several retro-clones, you and your group know your tastes best.

Thanks in advance.
Yes I think it is easier to DM because building encounters has a simple solid math basis (though there is still an art to it).

The one thing that is *harder* in 4e is condition tracking. Even at low levels, the PCs and monsters will be tossing around tons of conditions like dazed (save ends), zone which lasts until the end of the encounter, wall (sustain minor), or slowed (until the end of your next turn). You'll need to develop a clear system for tracking conditions from the get go; I suggest having each player choose one color for their PC and then getting poker chips (or equivalent) as conditions markers and colored pipe cleaners to designate area zones/walls. Also encourage players whose PCs grant leader bonuses to fellow PCs to write them down on notecards (appropriately colored!) and just hand them to the other players when they use those powers.

Do that from the start and save yourself tons of headache. No aspirin necessary ;)

strider1970

First Post
Well that's basically my background with D&D too, mostly from the DM side of the screen. And I adopted 4e and really enjoyed it.

That said I did make changes to the RAW: I jettisoned much of the built in fluff, I tweaked monsters a bit and made a lot of homebrew ones, and used @Stalker0 's Obsidian rules for skill challenges.

Thing is I enjoyed playing 3e and 2e and 1e. IMO the great thing about 4e is that it makes it easier on the DM. Though being a *great* DM is still a challenge. :)

Borrow some books or download the QuickStart rules and run a one-shot with your friends. Take it for a test drive first. I mean Pathfinder is a great game as are several retro-clones, you and your group know your tastes best.

Yes I think it is easier to DM because building encounters has a simple solid math basis (though there is still an art to it).

The one thing that is *harder* in 4e is condition tracking. Even at low levels, the PCs and monsters will be tossing around tons of conditions like dazed (save ends), zone which lasts until the end of the encounter, wall (sustain minor), or slowed (until the end of your next turn). You'll need to develop a clear system for tracking conditions from the get go; I suggest having each player choose one color for their PC and then getting poker chips (or equivalent) as conditions markers and colored pipe cleaners to designate area zones/walls. Also encourage players whose PCs grant leader bonuses to fellow PCs to write them down on notecards (appropriately colored!) and just hand them to the other players when they use those powers.

Do that from the start and save yourself tons of headache. No aspirin necessary ;)

Thanks, Quickleaf. This is very sound advice and makes perfect sense.

Quickleaf

Legend
Thanks, Quickleaf. This is very sound advice and makes perfect sense.

You're welcome strider! My advice is free on Mondays.

A couple swift pointers that were hard earned DMing:

In case you were wondering about the battlegrid in 4e, others may disagree with this, but I've run short combats without minis and it worked fine. Then again my group was comfortable with hand waving distances with a 5 tier division (melee/reach/close/far/very far). But bigger fights really do need the battlegrid.

When using minions add their numbers "to taste"; while they officially are worth 1/4 the XP value of a normal monster, in practice that is highly variable. Certain minions have an effect simply by being present in numbers or who detonate upon dying - throw too many of these at a group with no controller and they'll take a beating. OTOH a savvy controller can mow through a cluster of minions in no time, so you might include a second wave and value each minion at 1/8 the XP of a normal monster.

Good luck whichever way you go!

Hactarcomp

First Post
To make tracking conditions easier, I recommend using one of the various programs out there. I'm a big fan of 4e Turn Tracker (links and commentary can be found in the Press Release board in the Forums, under General RPG Forums), but there are many out there. They help you keep track of who (both players and monsters) is affected by what condition and lets you indicate when a condition is removed.

This means having a computer open at the table, which may go against your style, but it makes things easier for me and has sped up play at my table.

Which brings me to the one thing that has bothered me in 4e- the speed of encounters. Wizards says that a heroic level encounter should last about an hour. When I, as the DM am rolling bad results and my players are rolling well, the encounters sometimes are just 1.5 hours, but they usually run 2-2.5 hours for me. I'm moving towards certain things to speed things up, but things still take a while. There are some suggestions out there for ways to speed up the encounters, including morale checks, cutting HP, increasing damage, etc. Using MM3 and later monsters seems to create encounters which flow faster and smoother, something about the rebalanced math is nice. But some of my favorites are still in MM1 and I hate having the redo the math for each monster I use. So for some, I just use the MM1 and 2 stat blocks.

Good luck, have fun. I was a 2nd ed player, skipped 3/3.5 as I just couldn't get into the system, and have been having a ball in 4e.

Remove ads