• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tips for Age of Worms?

WinnipegDragon

First Post
I've finally decided to bite the bullet and run Age of Worms for my group. I've read through all the materials and I think I've got a good idea of what to expect.

My players are mostly tactically-minded battle-loving types so there should be no issue with the dungeon-crawlingness of the campaign, but I'd like to get any advice from those of you that have run or played it before.

Any tips you can provide, or advice that you can offer from your experience, both for me as DM and for my players as they work on the character creation?

Thanks in advance.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
A balanced party is required, so a rogue or some other character that can disable traps is important (especially in the first adventure). That being said, the Path is very undead heavy in some chapters. Consider including artificer and scout as possible characters even if you normally don't, so the skills-type can do something against the wave of unsneakable monsters.

The second module, Three Faces of Evil, has some problems, both in editing (how many cultists are there, exactly?) and in set-up (getting into the mines is poorly handled, and some DMs have complained about the three factions not cooperating when it'd be logical to do so).

Overall, the Paizo boards are a better place to ask for advice than here - there's a whole board designated to discussing the Age of Worms.

Have fun!

Demiurge out.

hong

WotC's bitch
demiurge1138 said:
A balanced party is required, so a rogue or some other character that can disable traps is important (especially in the first adventure). That being said, the Path is very undead heavy in some chapters. Consider including artificer and scout as possible characters even if you normally don't, so the skills-type can do something against the wave of unsneakable monsters.

? Skirmish only works against crittable opponents....

Emirikol

Adventurer
AoW is one big tank crawl. If you had a party of all fighters and a cleric, you would need nothing else. Don't get me wrong, there's stuff for other characters to do, but they're not really necessary..at all.

We've had some fun with it.

jh

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
hong said:
? Skirmish only works against crittable opponents....
Oh, this I know. But the scout's mobility based abilities can help him get in and out to make attacks without staying in reach of the undead. They still get their AC bonuses, after all. The rogue is more likely to stay put and flank, or avoid melee altogether. Not great, I know, but better than nothing. I did eventually lead the scout in my party towards the precision-damage-against-the-undead augment crystal from the Magic Item Compendium preview - although I find the concept slightly distasteful, it's better than him being nearly useless in undead-heavy dungeons.

Also recommended if there's a rogue in the party is the Disruptive Attack alternate class ability from PHB 2. In place of uncanny dodge at 4th level, you gain the ability to switch out all your sneak attack dice against a flanked or flat-footed opponent for a -5 to AC, and it works against non-crittable enemies. Of course, I'd also recommend he sink skill points into Use Magic Device and pick up a damage dealing wand (searing light would be a good choice at higher levels) as a backup weapon against the wormy dead.

Demiurge out.

Emirikol

Adventurer
Nightfall said:
Em,Funny I thought rogues/skills guys were necessary too.

Without mentioning spoilers...nope, I still can't think of any situations where they were necessary. The combats were pretty much handled simply with toe to toe..and this was with the party being low magic in our game...

It take that back..big octopins definately better handled from ranged fighter (tanks). :)

jh

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Em,

I'm very familiar with Age of Worms. Honestly while fighters can survive (especially with a cleric), it seems to me getting past some of the obstacles in the adventures do require a skills guy to help expedite matters. Combats, yes they need meaty power. But even then, a skills guys might help in terms of "getting past" some stuff.

Remove ads