• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Tips for starting up an AL style gaming night?

ArwensDaughter

Adventurer
As I noted in another thread (looking for adventure suggestions) I'm planning on leading DnD game nights at our local library this summer. Here's a summary of my current plan:

-One night a week, 3 hours maximum (Hard stop at library closing)
-New to DnD players will be required to use pregen characters for a few sessions, with a limited selection of races & classes to choose from. (I'll provide a library of pregens)
-Those with 5e experience will have most standard races and classes available, roughly following AL character building rules
-I plan on DMing a table most nights; there are a few others who can DM if we get enough people
-I'll have dice on hand for those who don't have them. (gotta love pound of dice boxes!)

Any tips or suggestions from those with more experience?

Last edited:

I have a few suggestions.

1) Provide dice. It's a good idea to colour code them if possible: so you can say "roll the d10. The yellow one"

2) Create a questgiver. An organization everyone belongs to. Like a bounty hunter group, the US marshals, or just a delver's group.

3) Think semi-serial TV show. Like Buffy. There might be an overarching storyline, but each episode stands alone.

4) Maybe don't use a published world. Incorporate world lore and ideas from the players.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
I like Jester's suggestions. Requiring new players to use pregens is a very good idea; it will save you many headaches. Definitely encourage brand-new players to stick to fighters, barbarians, etc. Casters are too complex to begin with.

The biggest problems are going to be social. Have a plan for problem players (there WILL be problem players) and the occasional rude interruption. Public libraries attract all kinds.

darjr

I crit!
Reward attendance and DMing. Don't plan on playing, at all, until you find DM's willing to significantly DM, preferably with enough so DM's can take breaks.

It'll be hard, I know, It's what I do.

Keep showing up. At first you may get minimal turn out. Lot's of reasons for this, some folks won't attend until they know it's a regular thing. Some will take a long time to hear about it.

Use facebook. It sucks, I don't like it, but setting an event does work, make a group to talk about the game and as a common place folks can post if they are going to make it or not. Occasionally post about the game, in other local groups is good. Take photos and post em. In fact I'd award players posting photo's on their own, inspiration maybe?

Better have the library set up a facebook event on their page or website. Share this to local D&D or rpg groups.

Try flyers at game stores. Even though it isn't in their store they will appreciate signs that games are being played, it encourages customers that they are not wasting their money.

Look for other gatherings and go to them. Assist them if you can. Run some games for them. Occasionally run some games for them even after your group is going well. Invite some from your group to go to their things as well.

Occasionally run cool uncommon things. Could be anything. Something like an epic that involves multiple tables is always cool. (See DDAL 5-16 for this. It's a kind of mini-Epic. Vault of the Draco Lich is a cool one from the days of early 5e D&D)

darjr

I crit!
Oh and post story summaries to facebook. It doesn't have to be a novel or the next great book, but highlight the cool stuff.

ArwensDaughter

Adventurer
I like Jester's suggestions. Requiring new players to use pregens is a very good idea; it will save you many headaches. Definitely encourage brand-new players to stick to fighters, barbarians, etc. Casters are too complex to begin with.

I had planned to allow wizards, druids and clerics for newbies, but I'll ponder that. Maybe I should mostly provide elven wizards, which would given them proficiency with bows & short swords, and make sure we include Mage Armor in their spell books (AND explain it)...

The biggest problems are going to be social. Have a plan for problem players (there WILL be problem players) and the occasional rude interruption. Public libraries attract all kinds.

Thank you for this reminder. I should know this, but quite frankly it had not occurred to me. Time to work on a code of conduct and consequences...

ArwensDaughter

Adventurer
Reward attendance and DMing. Don't plan on playing, at all, until you find DM's willing to significantly DM, preferably with enough so DM's can take breaks.

Yeah, I'm planning on DMing the whole summer. Would be great if I could play, some but I'm not holding my breath.

Keep showing up. At first you may get minimal turn out. Lot's of reasons for this, some folks won't attend until they know it's a regular thing. Some will take a long time to hear about it.
I'm trying to prepare myself for this. We'll bring some board games along in case we don't get enough people to play D&D. If my daughter's friends are free, we'll probably have enough for at least one table.

Better have the library set up a facebook event on their page or website.
That's the plan.

Share this to local D&D or rpg groups. Try flyers at game stores. Even though it isn't in their store they will appreciate signs that games are being played, it encourages customers that they are not wasting their money.

Look for other gatherings and go to them. Assist them if you can. Run some games for them. Occasionally run some games for them even after your group is going well. Invite some from your group to go to their things as well.

One of my challenges is that we live in a small town (<2500). The nearest game store is 25 miles away; next nearest is probably 2+hours away. Beyond the games at the one store, I don't know of any other DnD groups in the area, except for my daughter's friends. (She "infected" her friend group after our family started playing) This summer I may be able to get to the Wednesday night games at the one 25 miles away, but I can't during the school year as I have work commitments every Wednesday evening from September through May. Thanks for the suggestion of seeing if they'll let me put a notice up, though. They are more focused on Magic and some other games than DnD, but they moved into new digs at the beginning of the year and may have more to offer now.

Remove ads