• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tips on running a long-running campaign

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Here is my advice:

Before you even start the game, think long-term.

1) Avoid campaign defining meta-plots.

Make sure your campaign world does not have any one single major villain. But rather lots of minor to major villains with a variety of themes and goals. Avoid meta-plots or conflicts that define the setting. For example, I personally feel that Midnight is a poor setting for a long term campaign even though lots of people like it. Why? Because the setting is defined by the meta-plot. Cool, though it is, its ultimately a one-trick pony. To keep your campaign fresh over a long period of time, you need to be able to switch gears and tell different stories. It might be fun for the heroes to be on the run and hiding out for a while. But it gets old. Eventually the players will want to make a difference in the world. Let them. Thats not possible in a campaign setting where the players can never really achieve any sort of lasting victory without completely disrupting the entire meta-plot that the setting is based off of. Its ok to have epic villains rise up and rule over empires. But be prepared for and allow the PCs to eventually defeat that villain.

2) Prepare early for epic level advancement

If you intend on running a long term campaign, be prepared to go into epic levels and build that expectation into your world from the beginning. Campaign verisimilitude breaks down fast if everyone in the world is a level 1 NPC and the PCs hit level 20. Many DMs don't really understand the nature of epic level play or how to DM for it and as such avoid it. Either consciously or unconsciously they end their campaigns before the PCs reach such levels. To prepare for epic level play, be sure to fill your world with high level NPCs. The PCs are unique heroes, but such status should always come through the choices they make, not just because they have lots of levels and no one else does. This design philosophy is not shared by other DMs but it works for me. If you really want a long term campaign you need consider epic advancement and its effect on your world even though the PCs are still level 1.

3) Run a campaign world with lots of environments.

Have forests, mountains, oceans, deserts, etc. The more your world offers, the easier it is to always come up with a cool adventure for next week's game. I used to run a Dark Sun game, and sometimes I would be in the mood for a cold weather adventure. Well, it wasn't happening with that setting, thats for sure.

4) Give yourself a break.

Run your game every other week. Running a game every week puts you at risk for burnout.

5) Give your players multiple paths and be prepared for whichever one they choose.

Don't be the total freeform DM who justs "Ok, what are you doing?" and just sort of reacts to the PCs. That gets old after a while. Eventually the players will get bored. Give them direction but don't railroad them. Present several obvious paths for them to walk down and be prepared for them to pick any or none of them.

6) Throw in a random plot hook whenever you can and write them down.

My players are on a quest underground and fight and kill some random duergar. On one of the Duergar corpses, they find a note written in dwarven discussing a dragon and the treasure of a lost duergar kingdom. I just made it up and threw it in there on the spur of the moment. The note has nothing to do with their current quest in any way, but it makes the world come alive, plus it provides the players with ideas of what they might like to do next. The next time I DM, I know they are most likely to either try to find out more about the duergar kingdom and the dragon, or keep following the current quest. This way if the current quest ever gets boring, the players have a second possible quest all ready to go. By writing them down, you can remember what bones you have tossed the players. If you as DM ever get bored by the current path the PCs are on, dig out your notes, and pick one of the old plot hooks you tossed them before and come up with a way to get them to jump quests yet make it all seem related. The game stays interesting for both you and them, plus they think you are a genius DM and assume you had this all planned from the beginning.

7) Think cinematic.

I use the SW movies as a great example of a well run fantasy game. Each movie has new fantastic environments, has fights and chase scenes, different plots with lots of potential villain groups all vying for power and yet all tied into the machinations of one big bad guy. And if the PCs off that big bad guy, well its a big universe with lots of potential for other bad guys to show up. Your world should be the same way. SW also has foils (villains who turn good such as Lando, or good who turn bad like Anakin), tragedy, romance, epic battles, nobility, redemption, despair, you name it.

8) Solicit feedback and be willing to look at yourself critically

Let your players tell you what they liked and didn't like and adjust your game and DMing style accordingly. If your DMing style is pretty much my way or the highway and you often butt heads with your players, or you often feel dissatisfied with your players actions during an adventure, then you need to think about a couple of things. Do you even enjoy DMing? Do these players and their play style match my DMing style? Or are you just a frustrated novelist?

A lot of campaigns end simply because the DM has certain stories he/she wants to "tell" but the players just aren't "telling" it correctly. Thus they end up growing dissatisfied and end the campaign prematurely. There is nothing wrong with that. It just means you might be better off limiting your campaigns to pre-defined story arcs with set endings rather than running a long term open ended campaign.

Last edited:

Alhazred

First Post
A number of years ago was a player in an epic campaign which the DM intended to run from 1st to 20th level. It started out great - interesting NPCs, nifty organisations and a vibrant campaign world. Unfortunately, the plot became so convoluted that the players never felt as if we were making a difference.

In the years since, during which I have become my group's (a different group) primary DM, I do my best to let the player's know that they are making a difference. Even at low levels, when the PCs are little more than grunts and pawns for great powers, having their deeds acknowledged by the king, or a town pay for the heroes (basic) expenses when passing through goes a long way. At high levels, I make sure that they are plot instigators.

DragonSword said:
What I want to do is to plan the campaign out in series, with each series leading up to a huge climax. I'm not sure how well it will work, but I really want to challenge the players in terms of role-playing and to let my world evolve into a huge dynamic living thing - not just the static stereotypical RPG worlds I seem to spend so much time playing in.

When it works it's fun. I'm 4 years and 18 levels into my current campaign and it gets easier as it goes. Things I keep in mind are:

*No sacred cows. No npc is irreplaceable, no plot can't be derailed. You need player buy-in and for them to have an impact on the setting, they need to have an impact on the setting.

*Establish the fact actions have consequences, sooner rather than later. If players feel like you won't act against their characters they become a little more detached and treat them like it was a video game. At 1st level when my players roughed up the local goblins just for being goblins they had to deal with the dozen, quickly made crude traps the goblins made on their way out of town. They then had to deal with the complaints of the townsfolk who were used to hiring the goblins to do unpleasant tasks, like cleaning outhouses.

*Plan for tomorrow but think about next year. If the game world is dynamic you probably won't be able to make any detailed plans beyond the immediate future. Instead have broad notions about where you want things to be.

*Use a calendar. The calendar is pretty pointless the first few months of game time but after more than a year you will use it as a DM to remind yourself of old, forgotten foes or to provide flavor. Sometimes just stating "the coming snows herald the end of your third year as an adventuring party" is enough to give the players a little zip of gamer pride.

*and track travel times. Once you get used to planning for travel you can add it to your plots. Give the BBEG a destination and a mode of transportation. Whether the party catches up or doesn't depends on them. Don't sweat the small stuff but traveling can eat up a lot of time. In combination with a calendar it makes for a lot more realistic feel.

*Toss out lots of minor NPCs with quirks. Your players will be intrigued with a few of them and the rest can fade into the background for only occassional mention. A half-orc armorsmith is one of my groups favorite people.

Chaldfont

First Post
Take notes on what your players say during a game. Look for statments starting with "It would be cool if..." or "What if...". They will come up with better, more insidious plots than you will.

Then, when their speculations come true, they will think you planned it all along. Muhahahahah!

Arrgh! Mark!

First Post
Coming from the same perspective of the first poster, I must say there's been a lot of good help on running long term games. Mine are always exciting if short campaigns (6 sessions, generally)

One thing: Have a backup prepared. I've got a bunch of mini-adventures that are exciting and fun for when the main plot is at a slow point.

For instance, the WoT campaign book has a so-so main campaign but a bunch of good mini-adventures. At one point they were forced to go off road due to the fact a Seanchan soldier got away from them (Interesting use of consequences) and raised the guard levels in the region a heap.

Sort of like when you get spotted in Metal Gear Solid or something.

Anyway, they were forced to go the long way around, coming in from a different direction. Excellent time to launch them into a mini-quest! They get put off by failing at one thing, but excited by the mini-quests successful completion, experience and treasure. Not only that, I put in a few hints that moving off the main quest made things more complicated for them. Fun! It motivates them to get back on the main quest but also gives them a break if it gets a bit too much.

S'mon

Legend
Re magic and power levels - long term games do suffer when the PCs' advancement causes them to outgrow the environment. The most successful/easiest to run long term games I've experienced I ran on Mystara, the ultra-high-magic D&D world where the main empires have hundreds of 36th level magic-users...

I recommend having a large-scale world, 1st level PCs can start out doing meaningful things on a small scale (save the hamlet) while 20th level are doing equally meaningful things on a large scale (save the planet).

A standard-magic, standard power game should have meaningful challenges for PCs from levels 1 to 20. You don't need to accommodate Epic PCs on the same campaign world unless you wish to do so, I tend to think Epic is a good point to widen the scale of conflict to the multiverse - tackling demon princes in their home layers, that kind of thing. But an epic campaign could run years at levels 1-20. As GM you may wish to tweak the advancement rate - D&D as written is best suited to PCs around 4th to 8th level, but the current XP system rushes PCs through these levels. Conversely PCs in the 10th-14th range tend to die a lot, get 'raised' and lose levels, sticking them at this level a long time. This problem eases off at 15th+. If you're wanting a novel-style feel, I'd recommend that the heart of the campaign take place at the 4th-8th range, with 2 alternate approaches to level 10+:

1. Slow advancement to 10th, have 10th be "epic hero" territory. When the PCs get to 10th let them be saving the world, like in 1e.

2. Let PCs get to 10th as normal, but let the PCs progress through to 15th without being killed a lot, or if they do die, omit the level loss for raise dead. Avoid matching 10th-12th PCs against monsters of CR higher than party level. Let 15th-20th be epic hero territory.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Dragonblade said:
1) Avoid campaign defining meta-plots.

Make sure your campaign world does not have any one single major villain. But rather lots of minor to major villains with a variety of themes and goals. Avoid meta-plots or conflicts that define the setting. For example, I personally feel that Midnight is a poor setting for a long term campaign even though lots of people like it. Why? Because the setting is defined by the meta-plot. Cool, though it is, its ultimately a one-trick pony. To keep your campaign fresh over a long period of time, you need to be able to switch gears and tell different stories. It might be fun for the heroes to be on the run and hiding out for a while. But it gets old. Eventually the players will want to make a difference in the world. Let them. Thats not possible in a campaign setting where the players can never really achieve any sort of lasting victory without completely disrupting the entire meta-plot that the setting is based off of. Its ok to have epic villains rise up and rule over empires. But be prepared for and allow the PCs to eventually defeat that villain.

2) Prepare early for epic level advancement

If you intend on running a long term campaign, be prepared to go into epic levels and build that expectation into your world from the beginning. Campaign verisimilitude breaks down fast if everyone in the world is a level 1 NPC and the PCs hit level 20. Many DMs don't really understand the nature of epic level play or how to DM for it and as such avoid it. Either consciously or unconsciously they end their campaigns before the PCs reach such levels. To prepare for epic level play, be sure to fill your world with high level NPCs. The PCs are unique heroes, but such status should always come through the choices they make, not just because they have lots of levels and no one else does. This design philosophy is not shared by other DMs but it works for me. If you really want a long term campaign you need consider epic advancement and its effect on your world even though the PCs are still level 1.

6) Throw in a random plot hook whenever you can and write them down.

My players are on a quest underground and fight and kill some random duergar. On one of the Duergar corpses, they find a note written in dwarven discussing a dragon and the treasure of a lost duergar kingdom. I just made it up and threw it in there on the spur of the moment. The note has nothing to do with their current quest in any way, but it makes the world come alive, plus it provides the players with ideas of what they might like to do next. The next time I DM, I know they are most likely to either try to find out more about the duergar kingdom and the dragon, or keep following the current quest. This way if the current quest ever gets boring, the players have a second possible quest all ready to go. By writing them down, you can remember what bones you have tossed the players. If you as DM ever get bored by the current path the PCs are on, dig out your notes, and pick one of the old plot hooks you tossed them before and come up with a way to get them to jump quests yet make it all seem related. The game stays interesting for both you and them, plus they think you are a genius DM and assume you had this all planned from the beginning.

Wow, I disagree with the points I just listed here pretty much completely, and so I suspect would a lot of other people!

1) For me a metaplot is what drives a campaign - you don't have to be a railroad baron with it, but it gives a structure, and when the players tell war stories the metaplot is one of the things they will remember. It is what most of Midnight's fans like about the setting - telling someone to use or not to use metaplots is like telling them to like strawberry or not like chocolate, they will make their own decisions.

2) This assumes that Epic level development is to be desired. Frankly, I think that the rules for it stink and they will not be used in my campaigns, ever. Again a decision for the DM to make, not us.

6) Again, personal taste - I very rarely (but not never) use random plothooks, and then only when the PCs are off the map as it were, and need something to either bring them back to the plot that they were following, or just need a break from the major plots.

Your other points are valid regardless of the campaign, but these are all issues of personal taste being stated as though they were set in stone.

The Auld Grump

*EDIT* Punctuation is your friend!

Last edited:

S'mon

Legend
I agree with AuldGrump - "Avoid Conflicts that Define the Setting" is bad advice for most campaigns, especially if you want a high fantasy flavour. Avoid railroading and a 'story written in advance', sure, but setting-defining conflicts are one of the best tools for campaign & world building, and greatly increase plausibility - IRL most eras are defined by their conflicts - eg the Great War, World War Two, the Cold War, the War on Terror have together comprised most of the past 100 years. A world without dominant conflicts seems unlikely.
Including Epic stuff in a standard world is unnecessary and may be damaging to the world's credibility. This is entirely up to GM, the kind of world they're creating.
Random plot hooks are usually ok, can be a lot of fun, but can be harmful if the players go off on a tangent the GM isn't ready for.

Remove ads