Tips on running a long-running campaign

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Dragonblade said:
Ah, you are prepared to diverge from the established setting. Great! Sounds like a fun game!

What I meant was all else being equal and not diverging from standard rules, eventually characters will become so powerful that the BBEG and his minions will cease to be much of a threat. And thus the game would break down.

You have already decided that all advancement and your adventures stop at level 20. That works. You avoid the epic level issue altogether. All I wanted to say was that the DM should decide in advance how he will handle such high level characters.

Although, as a player, I would be disappointed that I could not keep playing a character I loved on into epic levels. Most of my players feel the same way so I embraced the epic rules. They work wonderfully for me, especially since they are already factored into my world from the very beginning. But everyone has their own play style :)

Yes, 'side plot' perhaps may be a better choice of words.

Okay, as long as the decision is not assumed to be 'yes' I have no problem with it. Epic just does not look like my cuppa at all.

On Midnight I am not sure by the way that I would be diverging by much, as I wrote the folks at FFG have on occassion stated outright that the war is not hopeless. Impossible in the current generation yes, but it is set up so that the PCs are building the foundations of what may, in the glimmering future, be a victory. Personally I would aim at three generations, the first is the resisance - which is cruelly crushed, the second is in hiding, but maintaining some of what was accomplished by the first generation, and the third or fourth having a shot at driving him back out... (For a time, I have a feeling that when the gods war the battlefield is millenia, not terrain...)

The Auld Grump

Remove ads