D&D 5E Tired of using CON modifier as a bonus to HP? Here's a simple alternative...

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Max out the HD... Don't roll--Ever. Stop making CON a nearly essential ability for every PC. That's the core of it. This works out so:

d6 would have about +2 hp per level (in the long run).
d8 would have +3
d10 would have +4
and d12 would have +5

Since most PCs (IME anyway) have CON 14 or better, this takes care of the typical CON bonus to HP per level.

Now, you'll have a few less HP at each level, so if that really bothers you, the easy fix is to add all your ability modifiers at 1st level. Later, whenever any of your ability modifiers permanently increase or decrease, add or subtract the same amount from your hit point maximum.

Potential issues indicating this idea is NOT FOR YOU (which is totally cool, too):
1. I really like rolling for my hit points!
2. What use would CON really be then???
3. This would result to too many hit points.
4. Isn't this just a solution to something that isn't a problem?

For #1, I can't really help you. 🤷‍♂️
For #2, CON is still used for a lot of saving throws for different types of damage, as well as concentration checks.
For #3, decrease all the HD by one step. Then you can still max them out without having to worry about adding CON modifier at each level.
For #4, the dependency on CON for bonus hit points is an issue for a lot of people, the forum has threads about it. ;)

Anyway, that's it. Enjoy it or have at it, it's just a thought I'm sharing. :)

EDIT: just so it's clear since it came up in a post below--with this idea you would still add your CON modifier to spending HD to recover HP after a short rest. If you don't, I would have specified that above.

Last edited:

Redwizard007

Adventurer
We max out HP and still add the Con bonus. It keeps Constitution relevant, but decreases it as an absolute necessity.

Yes, that is a lot of freaking HP.

No, I don't have problems threatening PCs.

Max out the HD... Don't roll--Ever. Stop making CON a nearly essential ability for every PC. That's the core of it. This works out so:

d6 would have about +2 hp per level (in the long run).
d8 would have +3
d10 would have +4
and d12 would have +5

Since most PCs (IME anyway) have CON 14 or better, this takes care of the typical CON bonus to HP per level.

Now, you'll have a few less HP at each level, so if that really bothers you, the easy fix is to add all your ability modifiers at 1st level. Later, whenever any of your ability modifiers permanently increase or decrease, add or subtract the same amount from your hit point maximum.

Potential issues indicating this idea is NOT FOR YOU (which is totally cool, too):

For #1, I can't really help you. 🤷‍♂️
For #2, CON is still used for a lot of saving throws for different types of damage, as well as concentration checks.
For #3, decrease all the HD by one step. Then you can still max them out without having to worry about adding CON modifier at each level.
For #4, the dependency on CON for bonus hit points is an issue for a lot of people, the forum has threads about it. ;)

Anyway, that's it. Enjoy it or have at it, it's just a thought I'm sharing. :)
I had my own idea to front load but lower HP and improve the need to spend HD...

take every class and decrease the HD size by 1 (wizard d4, fighter d8 ext) start at 1st level with 3HD but every class only gets HD at odd levels... at even levels you get +1/+2/+3 hp... no Con bonus, BUT you still get Con bonus to HD spent to heal.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
5. It gives everyone of the same class and level the same hit points no matter what. No variability.

Boring.

In this system maybe you could still add your CON bonus to the hit dice you roll to recover hit points, thus modeling "healthy people heal faster", even if it does not add to your base hit points.

It is actually important to use con in that way.
I might try this variant out. Seems quite fair. I also might be inclined to add a second hit die to 1st level. Or a set amount of hp. 8 or so.

Pauln6

Hero
My preference would be to take inspiration from 1e and 4e.

Full hp at level 1 plus a die roll plus con bonus (like 1e rangers). Roll hp with con bonus for first 10 levels. Fixed hp (possibly rounded down for non martial classes) levels 11-20 with no con bonus. Toughness feat becomes more useful.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
My version:

Level 1: CON score + average hp
Level 2-20: average hp, no CON mod (ala 4e)

Healing Rate: CON mod added for each healing die restored.

Makes low level more survivable, give less HP in the long run, makes in-combat healing more powerful and less incentive to use yo-yo healing.

This does allow me to go all-in as a DM at lower level without fearing a one-shot from a goblin's crit.

Remove ads