• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Titan Fighting

griff_goodbeard

First Post
The way I read it, the +4 racial bonus replaces and becomes a vanilla dodge bonus. That is why they stack vs. giants. You take this feat to become better at fighting creatures larger than you, including giants. I agree that the feat is poorly worded though and opens itself to many interpretations.

FYI as far as I can tell this feat is way better for gnomes, who can apply this bonus to medium sized creatures as well.

Coredump

Explorer
Felnar said:
glossary definition of "modifier" in the PHB
Modifiers from the same source do not stack,.

Yes, but these are not from the same source. One is from a racial bonus, and one is from a combination of two feats. If the feats said 'treat larger creatures as if they were giants" then it would be from the same source.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Coredump said:
Yes, but these are not from the same source. One is from a racial bonus, and one is from a combination of two feats. If the feats said 'treat larger creatures as if they were giants" then it would be from the same source.

The combination of two feats doesn't give you a new source for a +4 Dodge bonus. It just let's you use your already existing +4 racial dodge bonus vs. giants against any other large creature.

If you are facing a giant, you don't get to appy your racial dodge bonus twice.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
apesamongus said:
Correct. But it does take two already existing dodge bonuses and increases one of them.

No it doesn't. It allows you to use your +4 dodge bonus vs. giants INSTEAD of your +1 dodge bonus from the Dodge feat.

It doesn't increase the bonus from the dodge feat at all.

This is clearly stated in the text of the feat that IcyCool included in the first post of the thread.

apesamongus

First Post
Caliban said:
No it doesn't. It allows you to use your +4 dodge bonus vs. giants INSTEAD of your +1 dodge bonus from the Dodge feat.

It doesn't increase the bonus from the dodge feat at all.

This is clearly stated in the text of the feat that IcyCool included in the first post of the thread.
Right, and if I order a steak that comes with a baked potato and a salad and ask if I can have a salad instead of a baked potato, then I had better get two salads.

Philip

Explorer
Guys, argue all you like, but it doesn't make sense to me that:

A. You get to add a +4 racial dodge bonus twice because of Titan Fighting against giants. With the feat you learn to apply your expertise to other large creatures, not improve your giant-fighting skill.
B. You lose your +1 dodge bonus from your feat against giants just because you have Titan Fighting. This would mean that the training from the feat worsens your AC vs. giants when you try to dodge them. That's plain freaking weird.

Game balance and common sense tells me that PCs with Titan Fighting have:

a +1 dodge bonus against same-size or smaller creatures they are dodging
a +4 dodge bonus against larger-size creatures they are dodging
a +4 dodge bonus against giants
a +5 dodge bonus against giants they are dodging

Too bad if the rules are poorly written.

Remove ads