• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

TLR's Expedition to Castle Ravenloft [SPOILERS]

The Little Raven

First Post
So, a few weeks back, I picked up a few of the WorldWorks sets, specifically InteriorWorks - Castles & Keeps and the Exteriorworks - Hinterlands sets. After showing them to my friend (the other primary DM in the group), he suggested we build something significant out of them, and glancing over at my RPG shelf he said "Why don't we build Castle Ravenloft, and you run it?" and I agreed. So, I'm running EtCR in 4e, as a mini-campaign (levels 6 to 10).

It's a rather big project, so here I am to ask for your help in getting this conversion ready.

Burgomaster Letter: I will probably combine two of the burgomaster's fake letters to draw the PCs into Barovia. With the combination of a werewolf threat and the witches, it will seem as it Barovia is being overrun by darkness. The messenger with the real letter would still be found after the adventure has begun, and the characters are trapped in Barovia.

Secondary Goals: I'm incorporating at least two of the secondary goals: Untamed Allies (he wants to bring the werewolves under his control) and Brook No Rival (he wants the witches of Lysaga Hill dead). I also think that his main secondary goal would be the establish his dynasty, with Ireena as his bride.

Fanes of the Land: I like the idea of Strahd having connected himself to the Land by corrupting the fanes. However, the Signs he possesses in the 3.5 version are kinda lame (a force bonus to armor, etc), so I wanted to make them far more important. I've decided that instead of simply a bonus that disappears if the connection is severed, he will instead call upon the fanes during the encounter (probably at 3/4 hp, Bloodied, and 1/4 hp) to make changes to the nature of the encounter. If his connection has been severed, then nothing happens (except him reacting in shock and dismay). Reconsecrating the fanes will be a skill challenge.

Fortunes of Ravenloft: I will probably not be using them as the randomization device they are intended to be. The Sunsword will be broken into pieces to be pieced together by the PCs. The Holy Symbol of Ravenkind is still in the chapel, but it has been corrupted and stripped of its power, which requires the fanes to be reconsecrated. There will be a few encounters with Strahd (sometimes in other forms) throughout the adventure, but the big encounter with him will probably be in the Spires of Ravenloft. I'm thinking of altering the castle somewhat, so that the players enter the castle through the flooded crypts, rather than the front gate, in order to promote a more linear "bottom to top" flow to the castle and its encounters.

Lightbringers: They will be villains, of a sort. They are so fanatical it has blinded them, and they kill innocent people at times in order to prevent the spread of an undead infection.

So, I'm looking for some advice and assistance with converting the monsters/encounters over to the 4e model, as well as ideas for making it all consistent and smooth. I've only recently read through the module, and I played the original Ravenloft module well over 10 years ago, so I'm kinda rusty on it all.

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
Regarding the Fanes, I would allow him to change the physical layout of the fighting ground itself. Allow him to draw upon the land to bring Hazards into play (igniting the battlefield in specific squares), create difficult terrain (2 movement to cross), obscure vision with flocks of ravens and bats (grant concealment to all targets), have grasping hands come from the ground (burst 1; use Strahd's level +12 to hit [as a Controller]), ongoing damage equal to damage expressions in the DMG) and basically "call" upon the land to inhibit battle. Strahd should be entirely immune to these functions of his Encounter/Daily powers.

keterys

First Post
I think I'd suggest that activating the fanes almost work - so it's clear what power he got from it, then having it exhaust itself almost immediately. Perhaps affecting the combat for just a round or something similar.

After all, it is good to have things get mixed up when using a Solo.

The Little Raven

First Post
Regarding the Fanes, I would allow him to change the physical layout of the fighting ground itself. Allow him to draw upon the land to bring Hazards into play (igniting the battlefield in specific squares), create difficult terrain (2 movement to cross), obscure vision with flocks of ravens and bats (grant concealment to all targets), have grasping hands come from the ground (burst 1; use Strahd's level +12 to hit [as a Controller]), ongoing damage equal to damage expressions in the DMG) and basically "call" upon the land to inhibit battle. Strahd should be entirely immune to these functions of his Encounter/Daily powers.

That was definitely my thought, especially when thinking about the Mountain Sign. He'd call upon the Mountain Sign to shake the Land, which would change the layout of the battlefield. I was thinking of having each Fane give him something different than just terrain change. One thought I had for the Forest Sign would be for him to call upon it at 0 hp, and it would restore him to 1/4 or bloodied. I've been a bit stumped on what he'd gain from the Swamp Sign.

Remove ads